What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Juicing Cannabis Better for Health Than Smoking It?

Treetops

Your thoughts please, as I want to clear the lungs of smoke for a bit...:)
:thank you:
Treetops

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2013/01/02/is-juicing-cannabis-better-than-smoking-it/

Cannabinoids can prevent cancer, reduce heart attacks by 66% and insulin dependent diabetes by 58%. Cannabis clinician Dr. William Courtney recommends drinking 4 – 8 ounces of raw flower and leaf juice from any Hemp plant, 5 mg of Cannabidiol (CBD) per kg of body weight, a salad of Hemp seed sprouts and 50 mg of THC taken in 5 daily doses.

Cannabis – whether Sativa, Indica, Ruderalis, male, female, hermaphrodite, wild, bred for fiber, seeds or medicinal resin – is a vegetable with every dietary essential we can’t synthesize: Essential Amino Acids, Essential Fatty Acids, Essential Cannabinoid acids and hundreds of anti-Cancer compounds.

Cannabis clinician Dr. William Courtney recommends drinking 4 – 8 ounces of bud and leaf juice of any Hemp plant, 5 mg of CBD per kg of body weight, a salad of Hemp seed sprouts and 50 mg of THC daily, divided into 5 doses with an Arachadonic acid source, such as Hemp seed oil.

“If you heat the plant, you will decarboxylate THC-acid and you will get high, you”ll get your 10 mg. If you don’t heat it, you can go up to five or six hundred milligrams & use it as a Dietary Cannabis. . . and push it up to the Anti-oxidant and Neuro-protective levels which come into play at hundreds of milligrams,” stated Dr. William Courtney.

“The amount of Cannabinoids we need would be difficult to get through smoked Cannabis without feeling the intoxicating effects,” said Kristen Courtney.

The Endocannabinoid System (ECS) maintains our biological systems by regulating each cell tissue. It uses Arachadonic acid/Omega 6 to make Endo-Cannabinoids: fatty molecules that communicate harm between cells. Dietary Cannabis mimics the ECS by providing Cannabinoids when there is an Arachadonic acid deficiency or Clinical Cannabinoid Deficiency.

The body regenerates best when it’s saturated with Phyto-Cannabinoids, which takes 3 months of Dietary Cannabis use.
Patients exceeding 4 decades need Dietary Cannabis daily.

Patients using blood pressure, birth control, Epilepsy, Anti-psychotic or any Cardiac medicines need more Dietary Cannabis to elevate their serum Cannabinoid levels.

Oxidative diseases and Amphetamine, radiation or Alcohol damage can be prevented or treated with Cannabinoid therapy.

Cannabinoids are particularly effective in the treatment of oxidative associated diseases of the CNS because they cross the Blood Brain Barrier and exert their anti-oxidant effects.

Hemp juice has lowered blood pressure an average of 10 points within 2 hours.

Patients suffering from end stage Cancer need to eat buds whole.

Plants sprayed with anything shouldn’t be juiced, but some pests are edible, such as Spider mites.

To prepare leaves for a juicer, avoid rinsing – soak them in water for 5 minutes.

Masticating juicers are efficient for leaves, buds and sprouts; a centrifugal juicer may need additional vegetables to chop fibers.
To preserve juice fill containers so that air is minimized; a dose of juice frozen in an ice cube tray retains medicinal value.

A sprout’s prophylactic, analgesic, anxiolytic, anti-oxidant and activities peak within 1-2 weeks.

For CBD without dysphoria from THC psycho-toxicity, heat bud to 166 degrees with a heat gun – the longer a bud is boiled, the less THC remains.

D9THC boils at 157C, D8THC boils at 175C, CBD boils at 188C.

Drinking heated juice for THC is more potent because there is less vaporization, adhesion and degradation to decrease potency.
When calculating a dose of heated juice from a new strain make sure to begin with smaller doses: the amount of THC in a cup of juice can exceed 100 joints worth – which could leave one unconscious for a number of days – and even heated leaves can be psycho-active.

A 20 mg dose of THC causes most patients to stagger, after 30 mg THC most are unable or unwilling to stand.

“The Hemp plant is actually an excellent plant because the THC content can be low, that’s if you’re treating a condition for which appears CBD food supplement is in order. . . The plants we’re using in Luxembourg have only 1% CBD, a 1% CBD plant is providing you with 19 times more CBD per pound than Oranges provide you of vitamin C. A 1% is an excellent source, you can make tremendous concentrates you can eat the plant raw – and the absence of the THC – you can heat Hemp, which you can’t do with other strains because the THC acid comes out and you end up with a psycho-toxic substance,” says Dr. William Courtney

Viable Hemp seed from the detoxyourworld, happilyraw and gojiking.co.uk websites approach pure CBD.

Steam or UV sterilized Hemp seeds sprout at a lower germination rate; such as seeds from Nuts dot com, Avian Organics and Persnickety Parrot websites.

Canadian Hemp seed oil contains 10 mg per kg of CBD; Swiss and Finland sourced Hemp seed oil can contain up to 50 mg of THC per kg.

Swiss Hemp “essential” oil contains 540 mg of CBD and 3 mg each CBD, CBG and CBN per kg with no acids.

Raw Cannabis produces non-psychoactive acidic Cannabinoids. It’s medicinal at lower doses than heated preparations because constituents have an Entourage effect when they act synergistically. 90% of the medicinal constituents are destroyed with heat – such as terpenoids, which can greatly prolong the amount of time a Cannabinoid affects our body.

“It’s the poster-child for raw food.”

Acidic Cannabinoids are absorbed by our body 400% better than neutral Cannabinoids and do not require a Cannabiniod receptor to produce medicinal activity.

Neutral Cannabinoids are the product of aging, heat or light.
THC – the only psycho-active group of Cannabinoids – and all other neutral Cannabinoids are barely present in raw Cannabis.

There 16 possible classes of Cannabinoids and over one hundred Cannabinoids in each trichome; in a ratio that changes throughout development with variations between cultivars. Each act differently: CBD-acid has anti-biotic activity but CBD doesn’t.

Contact The Humboldt Patient Resource Center, Canna Culture Collective, Leonard Moore Co-op or ask local growers in a Cannabis forum for fresh Cannabis leaves.

vertigo0007

Smoking is not the answer. There is no health benefit to inhaling smoke and all of the shit released during combustion.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
raw whole foods

it seems to be the way we were 'designed' to eat and; juicing falls right into that paradigm

it only stands to reason that if the plant is beneficial for certain maladies that exploiting the raw whole food paradigm is the means to get the most from it

no doubt ~as the article asserts further benefits can be realized from carboxylating and medicating w/ concentrates! ~which would logicaly be better eaten than smoked

highonmt

Veteran
The only "problem" is the fact that uncured cannabis has lower concentrations of THC. By fully curing then extracting you are getting more medicine from the same amount of plant material. Juicing seems like a fine idea dgmw but try extraction of dry matetial with ethanol then evaporation to get an oil. Then just dilute the oil in good oil like camolina, olive etc and mix that oil with your favorite juice. You will get a lot more benifit from a lot less herb.
HM

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
actually THC is in higher concentrations when "uncured".. THC causes the undesirable symptoms of ganja that are antagonistic to the other cannabinoids.. the later the harvest and the longer the cure the more time there is for it to break down into cannabidiol and all the others, that do already exist in the plant just not in the desirable concentrations.. THCs over use in the lexicon associated with cannabis is a bit of a misnomer..

juicing is basically taking the fresh plant material and blending it up..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thanks for posting this! Great read!

I don't heat the smoothies I make (I use about a handful of leaves per 250 ml) but I still feel a buzz. While it's a bit different than inhaling smoke or vapors, it's definely not placebo. Anyone else could report that?

Last edited:

highonmt

Veteran
actually THC is in higher concentrations when "uncured".. THC causes the undesirable symptoms of ganja that are antagonistic to the other cannabinoids.. the later the harvest and the longer the cure the more time there is for it to break down into cannabidiol and all the others, that do already exist in the plant just not in the desirable concentrations.. THCs over use in the lexicon associated with cannabis is a bit of a misnomer..

juicing is basically taking the fresh plant material and blending it up..
In fresh cannabis the primary cannabinoids are the acid form of thc THCA and CBD which are formed by the same enzymatic system in the cannabis plant seperated by one enzyme in the final step, via the deoxyxylulose pathway. When drying the plant the inacitive tetrahydrocannabolicacid (thca) is is decarboxylated to the active form which is THC. This decarboxylation can be accomplished by heating as well which is why I heat my ethanolic extract to evaporate the alcohol and accomplish a more compete decarboxylation in the same step. If you do not want thc do not dry or heat the material.
HM

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you do not want thc do not dry or heat the material.

juicing is more a view of cannabis as 'food' than medicine

viewed as 'prevention is the cure' however; food IS the medicine

for many; juicing non-decarboxylated cannabis may be preferable as the high "side effect" is minimized

juicing is basically taking the fresh plant material and blending it up.. then retaining the liquids ~solids are discarded/composted

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
In fresh cannabis the primary cannabinoids are the acid form of thc THCA and CBD which are formed by the same enzymatic system in the cannabis plant seperated by one enzyme in the final step, via the deoxyxylulose pathway. When drying the plant the inacitive tetrahydrocannabolicacid (thca) is is decarboxylated to the active form which is THC. This decarboxylation can be accomplished by heating as well which is why I heat my ethanolic extract to evaporate the alcohol and accomplish a more compete decarboxylation in the same step. If you do not want thc do not dry or heat the material.
HM

yeah ok its acid is one of the primary cannabinoids in fresh material but THC isnt what most people want from cannabis,,

Mr_Grimbo

Thanks for posting this! Great read!

I don't heat the smoothies I make (I use about a handful of leaves per 250 ml) but I still feel a buzz. While it's a bit different than inhaling smoke or vapors, it's definely not placebo. Anyone else could report that?

Absolutly... I have been a heavy smoker since the late 60's. Several years ago my lungs were getting pretty bad so I took a couple weeks and move over to eating "Firecrackers". I take about .75 g of fresh bud crushed and spread it over a layer of peanut butter on on two salteen crackers. I push the two crackers together sealing in the bud and bake at 320F for 23 minutes, cool and eat. I get high on them, if I didn't I wouldn't have been able to go completely smoke free for almost two years eating two crackers a day... Yes, I did an occasional hit or two, probably less than a gram a week smoked during that period though. I found that once I grew accustomed to the high of eating, it was totally satisfactory to me as a substitute for smoking. About a year ago I started hanging with smokers again, and now I smoke again, but the point is.. Eating is far from a placebo when it comes to getting high which honestly is the main benefit I am looking for when I consume our beloved weed...

Mr. Grimbo

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What about constipation? Doesn't that become a reality with drinking cannabis? It's not broccoli.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only "problem" is the fact that uncured cannabis has lower concentrations of THC. By fully curing then extracting you are getting more medicine from the same amount of plant material. Juicing seems like a fine idea dgmw but try extraction of dry matetial with ethanol then evaporation to get an oil. Then just dilute the oil in good oil like camolina, olive etc and mix that oil with your favorite juice. You will get a lot more benifit from a lot less herb.
HM

Are you saying that a product like a gold honey oil, mix it with olive oil,, put it in a glass of tomato juice will produce what results?

At $80 bucks a gram I just want to hear that it can be used that way and I'm off to give a try. Can it?

Cabron

Veteran
yeah ok its acid is one of the primary cannabinoids in fresh material but THC isnt what most people want from cannabis,,

actually thc is very sought after for it's medicinal properties as much as CBD for bonding to CB1 and CB2 receptor sites.

THC A does very little in the way of matching receptors as it doesnt
bond to the cells .

It's a bummer as you'd really like to have your patient treated without the psychological effects of THc as opposed to THC A
with regards to cancer .'

Thus the search for a 1:1 thc to cbd ratio strain is desirable as the blend is being proven to be the most efficient for most diseases working in a synergistic manner .

THCA delivered in massive amounts in the form of juicing and not causing any psychoactive effects is an important factor with diseases such as MS and Lupus but isn't proven to do much in the way of cancer cures.

CBD and THC are the kings of the hill in oils and ingested for this ,
I have just taken on an inoperable lung cancer patient and we are using Simpson oil which has been decarboxylated for ingestion and use in a vaporizer immediately .

Since he has under gone Chemo on his whole chest region my thinking is the blood supply to his cancerous cells may have been compromised due to the cauterization effect that he has undergone and using a vaporizer with this oil is best suited to deliver the cannabinoids directly to benign cancerous cells via the alveoli .

He is in such pain that it's actually hard for him to fully inhale
The chemo has done so much damage to him ...

I pray he isn't damaged too badly for my oil to work ...

I feel Dennis Hill's work and analogies as to how the mechanics of this practice function are priceless and he's a saint !

Cancer-specific Cytotoxicity of Cannabinoids
By: Dennis Hill

First let's look at what keeps cancer cells alive, then we will come back and examine how the cannabinoids CBD (cannabidiol) and THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) unravels cancer's aliveness.

In every cell there is a family of interconvertible sphingolipids that specifically manage the life and death of that cell. This profile of factors is called the "Sphingolipid Rheostat." If ceramide (a signaling metabolite of sphingosine-1- phosphate) is high, then cell death (apoptosis) is imminent. If ceramide is low, the cell will be strong in its vitality.

Very simply, when THC connects to the CB1 or CB2 cannabinoid receptor site on the cancer cell, it causes an increase in ceramide synthesis which drives cell death. A normal healthy cell does not produce ceramide in the presence of THC, thus is not affected by the cannabinoid.
The cancer cell dies, not because of cytotoxic chemicals, but because of a tiny little shift in the mitochondria. Within most cells there is a cell nucleus, numerous mitochondria (hundreds to thousands), and various other organelles in the cytoplasm. the purpose of the mitochondria is to produce energy (ATP) for cell use. As ceramide starts to accumulate, turning up the Sphingolipid Rheostat, it increases the mitochondrial membrane pore permeability to cytochrome c, a critical protein in energy synthesis. Cytochrome c is pushed out of the mitochondria, killing the source of energy for the cell.

Ceramide also causes genotoxic stress in the cancer cell nucleus generating a protein called p53, whose job it is to disrupt calcium metabolism in the mitochondria. If this weren't enough, ceramide disrupts the cellular lysosome, the cell's digestive system that provides nutrients for all cell functions. Ceramide, and other sphingolipids, actively inhibit pro-survival pathways in the cell leaving no possibility at all of cancer cell survival.
The key to this process is the accumulation of ceramide in the system. This means taking therapeutic amounts of cannabinoid extract, steadily, over a period of time, keeping metabolic pressure on this cancer cell death pathway.

How did this pathway come to be? Why is it that the body can take a simple plant enzyme and use it for healing in many different physiological systems? This endocannabinoid system exists in all animal life, just waiting for it's matched exocannabinoid activator.
This is interesting. Our own endocannabinoid system covers all cells and nerves; it is the messenger of information flowing between our immune system andthe central nervous system (CNS). It is responsible for neuroprotection, and micro- manages the immune system. This is the primary control system that maintains homeostasis; our well being.

Just out of curiosity, how does the work get done at the cellular level, and where does the body make the endocannabinoids? Here we see that endocannabinoids have their origin in nerve cells right at the synapse. When the body is compromised through illness or injury it calls insistently to the endocannabinoid system and directs the immune system to bring healing. If these homeostatic systems are weakened, it should be no surprise that exocannabinoids perform the same function. It helps the body in the most natural way possible.

To see how this works we visualize the cannabinoid as a three dimensional molecule, where one part of the molecule is configured to fit the nerve or immune cell receptor site just like a key in a lock. There are at least two types of cannabinoid receptor sites, CB1 (CNS) and CB2 (immune). In general CB1 activates the CNS messaging system, and CB2 activates the immune system, but it's much more complex than this. Both THC and anandamide activate both receptor sites. Other cannabinoids activate one or the other receptor sites. Among the strains of Cannabis, C. sativa tends toward the CB1 receptor, and C. indica tends toward CB2. So sativa is more neuroactive, and indica is more immunoactive. Another factor here is that sativa is dominated by THC cannabinoids, and indica is predominately CBD (cannabidiol).

It is known that THC and CBD are biomimetic to anandamide, that is, the body can use both interchangeably. Thus, when stress, injury, or illness demand more from endogenous anandamide than can be produced by the body, its mimetic exocannabinoids are activated. If the stress is transitory, then the treatment can be transitory. If the demand is sustained, such as in cancer, then treatment needs to provide sustained pressure of the modulating agent on the homeostatic systems.

Typically CBD gravitates to the densely packed CB2 receptors in the spleen, home to the body's immune system. From there, immune cells seek out and destroy cancer cells. Interestingly, it has been shown that THC and CBD cannabinoids have the ability to kill cancer cells directly without going through immune intermediaries. THC and CBD hijack the lipoxygenase pathway to directly inhibit tumor growth. As a side note, it has been discovered that CBD inhibits anandamide reuptake. Here we see that cannabidiol helps the body preserve its own natural endocannabinoid by inhibiting the enzyme that breaks down anandamide.

This brief survey touches lightly on a few essential concepts. Mostly I would like to leave you with an appreciation that nature has designed the perfect medicine that fits exactly with our own immune system of receptors and signaling metabolites to provide rapid and complete immune response for systemic integrity and metabolic homeostasis.

~Dennis Hill

Bibliography
1. http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/65/5/1635.abstract
Sami Sarfaraz, Farrukh Afaq, Vaqar M. Adhami, and Hasan Mukhtar + Author Affiliations. Department of Dermatology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin

2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/pubmed
J Neuroimmunol. 2007 Mar;184(1-2):127-35. Epub 2006 Dec 28. Immune control by endocannabinoids - new mechanisms of neuroprotection? Ullrich O, Merker K, Timm J, Tauber S. Institute of Immunology, Medical Faculty, Otto-von-Guericke-University Magdeburg, Leipziger Str. 44, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany. oliver.ullrich@medizine.uni-magdeburg.de

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system
Endocannabinoid synthesis & release.

4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoids
Cannabinoid receptor type 1.

5. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/121381780/abstract? CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
Journal of Neurochemistry, Volume 104 Issue 4, Pages 1091 - 1100 Published Online: 18 Aug 2008

6. http://leavesofgrass.info/info/Non-Psychoactive-Cannabinoids.pdf
Non-psychotropic plant cannabinoids: new therapeutic opportunities from an ancient herb. Angelo A. Izzo, Francesca Borrelli, Raffaele Capasso, Vincenzo Di Marzo, and Raphael Mechoulam. Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy. Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry, National Research Council, Pozzuoli (NA), Italy. Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, Hebrew University Medical Faculty, Jerusalem, Israel, Endocannabinoid Research Group, Italy

7. http://sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/59872/title/Not_just_a_high
Scientists test medicinal marijuana against MS, inflammation and cancer By Nathan Seppa June 19th, 2010; Vol.177 #13 (p. 16)

8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1766198/
NIH Public Access: A house divided: ceramide, sphingosine, and sphingosine-1-phosphate in programmed cell death Tarek A. Taha, Thomas D. Mullen, and Lina M. Obeid Division of General Internal Medicine, Ralph H. Johnson Veterans Administration Hospital, Charleston, South Carolina 29401; and Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425 Corresponding author: Lina M. Obeid, M.D., Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, 114 Doughty St., P.O.Box 250779, Charleston, South Carolina 29425. E-mail: obeidl@musc.edu
http://cannabisnationradio.com/dennis-hill-cytotoxicity

Can anyone break down the medicinal differences when .....

Activating through heat such as canna butter and hemp oil
vs
Eating it in its raw form???