What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY small drip irrigation hydro system on the cheap

Desert Hydro

Veteran
the idea and the reasoning behind it:

i have a small seed run of four strains that i dont wanna devote a whole lot of time and effort to until they are proven worthy of drowning in watts, time and effort lol. the idea was to come up with a SMALL system that i can devote to running four to six plants in and not take up valuable floor space with possible crap like that has happened far too many times before. i wanted to do this as cheaply and effieciently as possible. i will be using small wattage like a 150 or possibly source two small cheap LED's off ebay. the plants are heavily defoliated and the lower crap is removed. i know the importance of tops only on small wattage setups. no larf whatsoever. i have a lumatek that needs to be sent in for repair or replacement so when that gets back i may just use it on the lowest setting of 300w.

im always trying to find uses for things ive collected throughout the years in this hobby. everything in this sytstem was put together with things i had. i did not buy anything! free is the best haha. i think if you are clever enough all of the items can be sourced locally even if you dont have a hydro shop like in my situation. keep in mind you may not have the same exact materials used here but with a little tinkering you can modify this to suit your needs with little effort.

the list of stuff:

-tough storage container that will hold water as a res. im using a tough box from lowes because the lid is PERFECT for this setup because of the recessed channels in it for draining away the runoff
-small pump for irrigating
-some tubing for your irrigation lines. i used a section of latex tubing i had laying around.
-barbs and dripper line. i used some kent sytem barbs that i had extra from my blumat grows as well as the blumat tubing for the drip line. regular spaghetti tubing from lowes or hydro shop will work fine.

thats the brunt of it. the rest is merely grow supplies that everyone should have in hydro like rockwool, hydroton, nutes etc.. this could also be used with coco as well with some slight mods.

pretty simple setup to build. took me 30 minutes because i had to clean out my tub since it had old coco in it.

first i drill a hole in the upper portion of the sidewall of the tub big enough for the cord and the tubing. i think i used about 1 1/4- 1 1/2. doesnt really matter.

i then fed my tubing and cord through it and layed it aside. now take your lid and drill lots of holes for drainage. im using a tiny pump but i still went overkill with the drainage just so i dont have to worry about running over. the lid is only like an inch deep lol.

from here you are just gonna install the dripper lines in the irrigation tubing and cut them all the same length so they feed equally. this is pretty important otherwise some will get a lot less water.

i did not attatch anything to the lid so i can remove it with the plants on it and just lay the drip manifold aside while i dump the res and do checks on ph and whatnot.

from there you just need to set up a timer and figure out your ideal watering cycles. as far as media goes i am using 4x4 rockwool cubes that i am gonna rest in 1/2 gal pots of growstones. i figure with this setup i can water once or twice a day for a minute or two and thats it. coco can be set to water once a day for longer to suit your needs/pot size.

this system can be run drain to waste or recirculating. for recirculating simply fill the bottom up with nutes and let her rip. if you want to do drain to waste simply put a bucket underneath that you keep your pump inside of with nutes and let the rest be caught in the container. this method will use less water in the long run since you are using a mini res inside the main tub. i think i will try out this method for now since i hate wasting RO water since its so slow to fill and not efficient to make.

any q's feel free to ask. this is a work in progress. i have never done an automated drip system before. just blumats in coco. nutes are veg + bloom and drip clean. thats it. simple, clean, effective.
i hope this helps at least one person so i can feel good about typing all of this haha.

i just ordered 2 90w LED grow lights from ebay. i made sure to go through a US seller that takes returns no questions asked just in case they are crap lol. they are 90w actual use with 45 3w USA made bridgelux chips in each one. this will be my first LED grow lol. fingers crossed for great results. i will update weekly with the results. in the mean time they are goind under a 600w with 6 BUSHY AK's. once the LED's come in the AK's and the hydro system is getting moved off to the corner so my ebb and grow type sytsem can get set up for my big run. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 24

Desert Hydro

Veteran
loaded and ready to rock. at this size i think i can get by with just one watering a day for about a minute.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 16

hempyftw

Very nice

Very nice

When will you start to water more often?

It looks like things are moving along nicely.

Those yellow lids let through light, have some myself, might be worth spray painting if/when ya get a chance. I still haven't done all of mine yet hehe.

highonmt

Veteran
So do the roots just dangle in the water? I don't see return lines to your tub. It looks a lot like a rdwc setup. Nice looking plants man.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
thanks mr cleancut. i'll keep the updates coming.
hempyftw- i will let the plants tell me when they need more. as of right now the cubes are satying nice and moist with a once a day watering for about 2 minutes. if im in there cleaning up or organizing i'll turn it on for about 30 sec or so just to make sure everything stays moist enough. as far as the light coming through the lid i dont really forsee it being too much of a problem at the moment. im running off a small res within the tub and if i start getting algae i will add a couple drops of bleach weekly.

highonmt- the roots dont dangle. they are contained in the pots of growstones. the pots have a bunch of holes for them to drain and then the lid has a bunch of holes to drain the waste into the tub. the res is housed in the main tub at the moment. it works and since they are small plants at the moment im only filling the 4 gal res inside once a week or so.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
my LED's have been set back again. the ones i got were crap so i returned them. they were advertised as 45 3w chips that USE 90w. they only used 38w each and werent very bright. they were no good lol. no way im gonna try and flower inder 80w and expect anything proper lol. got two LEGIT 300w on the way. supposed to pull about 190 w each. should be legit with 2 of them in a 2x4 tent. on my way to grab a socket and cord for my ballast so i can run my 400w hps until they get here.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
got the 300w hps on em right now and they are looking good. still growing nicely and the AK are starting to stack quite well. the LED's are on the way. ive got 2 300w units on the way. shits gonna get crazy real soon haha. i think i may run CO2 but im not sure. i dont really need CO2 in my veg tent right now since im only keeping a couple moms at the moment. when i start veggin next rounds clones i will put it back.

Attachments

• IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 16