What's new

Noobin it up

D

DaveTheNewbie

Ok so im starting a new grow log based on whats been going on in my other thread : https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=235163&page=28

The challenge is to grow 4 x 1 pound plants around 3 x 600w HPS lights in a column with only 4 weeks veg time under a 400w MH light. This is approx the magic 1GPW mark.

Im not saying i can do it, but that its my target. The only thing im doing different to last time is using less plants and more lights. Im moving to 7 gal pots from 3 gal on advice from DHF. This means 2 blumats per pot.

So whats the setup?
- Agent Orange strain (TGA) : its a very stretchy rubbery plant well suited to being tied down. Doesnt stand well on its own.
- pure coco in 7 gal smartpots
- Blumats (2 per pot)
- GH Maxibloom powdered nutes @ 1 gram per litre
- Kelp4Less Extreme Blend (Fulvic Humic Amino acids and kelp) @ 1 gram per 10 litres
- Kelp4Less Myco + Innoculant Blend (Endo and Ecto Mycorrhizal Fungi, Trichoderma and Beneficial Bacteria) @ 1 gram per 30 litres
- H+G Drip Clean @ 1ml per 3 litres
- Budlink silica @ 1 ml per litre
- EC of around 1.3 (650 PPM)
- PH of around 5.9 (whatever MaxiBloom mixes to)

Whats not in the setup?
- no CO2
- no Aircon or coolers
- no RH modification
- no PK booster or nute change part way thru the cycle as its perpetual

Because its a perpetual system its 2 plants in, wait 4 weeks, 2 more plants in, wait 4 weeks, repeat. So im really running 2 plants with 900w

Its summer on this side of the earth so heat is going be an issue.

D

DaveTheNewbie

Im gonna speed through the booring start stuff

Clones :
picture.php

Vegging a couple of days and pruned a bit :
picture.php

Vegging 1 week :
picture.php

Vegging 2 weeks :
picture.php

Vegging 3 weeks and moved from 3 to 7 gal pots :
picture.php

I hate moving plants between pots. Its a messy business in cramped room with smartpots. Damn roots grow through the pot walls.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
I will pull right up in the front here.

I like your idea and I think its very possible.
It might be hard to pull it off with Agent Orange, never heard of her being a big yeilder.
You just pulled off a GPW with your last grow so keep that train a rollin by all means.

D

DHF

I know this was spur of the moment Dave , but.......Always up-pot to bigger sp`s before they bust through the fabric and air/root prune........that way.....

There`s no stunting or recovery time from the root tips pruned bein ripped out when removed from the smaller containers , only lateral "feeder" roots blastin off sideways till they hit the fabric before end of stretch in the bigger containers ftw.......then......

The rootmass built is adequate for the bigger plants to utilize optimum nutrient uptake till end of cycle for max budsites and swellage for max returns.......guaranteed....

Peace...DHF.......:ying:.......

bobblehead

Veteran
I know this was spur of the moment Dave , but.......Always up-pot to bigger sp`s before they bust through the fabric and air/root prune........that way.....

There`s no stunting or recovery time from the root tips pruned bein ripped out when removed from the smaller containers , only lateral "feeder" roots blastin off sideways till they hit the fabric before end of stretch in the bigger containers ftw.......then......

The rootmass built is adequate for the bigger plants to utilize optimum nutrient uptake till end of cycle for max budsites and swellage for max returns.......guaranteed....

Peace...DHF.......:ying:.......

Or just leave the smaller pot in place and bury it in the bigger pot with the rootball 100% intact...

Personally I'm switching over to plastic net pots from bags... Not dumping the bags yet... But I'm not buying more.

D

DHF

Or just leave the smaller pot in place and bury it in the bigger pot with the rootball 100% intact...

Personally I'm switching over to plastic net pots from bags... Not dumping the bags yet... But I'm not buying more.
If yas set pots on top of pots to up pot and only allow vertical roots to set and THEN become lateral feeders like Bog usedta preach , it`s just more rootmass to feed properly....and.....

Plastic or fabric........All depends on whatchas get used to and dial in........Netpots might do well Bobbles.....Only dialage will tell......

Peace...DHF......:ying:........

bobblehead

Veteran
Here's the body of a PM I just sent to SRGB regarding why... They're just my thoughts,, not trying to say one way is better than the other.

In regards to disadvantages of bags... My lake house has a huge mold problem, and it seems that I can't keep mold from growing on my bags. The spores are everywhere. I've thought about soaking the bags in eagle20 prior to use, but i'd liketo avoid thechemicals. Also,when it comes to fillingbags, there is considerably more effort needed to keep the pliable bags open and upright.

Originally I thought that the coco would just fall through the net pots, or that the nute solution might run straight through during irrigation... Then I saw my friend poopyteabags garden, and found out otherwise. He's running 10kw, with trees in 10" net pot bucket lids, and 5gal bucket plumbed to collectrunoff and drain it. He's pulling down at least 8oz a plant, if not more.

Net pots are cheaper to produce, so the cost to the consumer is lower. They are plastic/inorganic. Easy to clean. Easy to stack and store. They're also easy to fill with medium because they're rigid, and I can use the pot as a scoop insteadof needing a separate scoop. Irrigation needs to be at a slower pace, but that isn'ta problem forme using multiple gravity powered feeds.

I've been vegetating in 1 and 2 gallon bags... And then burying the bag in a larger bag, per your recommendations. I really likeit, except that I'm burying $2-3 bag in a $3-5 bag. I could be vegetating in a net pot, and bury that net pot in a bag or a larger net pot and not have nearly as much money tied up in bags. At my local hydro store, 6" net pots are $1, and can be had significantly cheaper online. 10" net pot lids can be had for $2.50.

D

DaveTheNewbie

I know this was spur of the moment Dave

sure was, most things i do are :)

Always up-pot to bigger sp`s before they bust through the fabric and air/root prune

Or just leave the smaller pot in place and bury it in the bigger pot with the rootball 100% intact

I've been vegetating in 1 and 2 gallon bags... And then burying the bag in a larger bag, per your recommendations. I really likeit

i really wish i knew this a couple of days ago :) No matter how much i read theres always more to know.

Originally I thought that the coco would just fall through the net pots, or that the nute solution might run straight through during irrigation... Then I saw my friend poopyteabags garden, and found out otherwise. He's running 10kw, with trees in 10" net pot bucket lids, and 5gal bucket plumbed to collectrunoff and drain it. He's pulling down at least 8oz a plant, if not more.

Net pots are cheaper to produce, so the cost to the consumer is lower. They are plastic/inorganic. Easy to clean. Easy to stack and store. They're also easy to fill with medium because they're rigid, and I can use the pot as a scoop insteadof needing a separate scoop. Irrigation needs to be at a slower pace, but that isn'ta problem forme using multiple gravity powered feeds.

As an aside i used to clone in small net pots with coco, never had a problem. I only used the netpots cause i had them lying around tho. And I agree that filling the bags is messy as hell. If you can do it outside with a bench it might not be too bad, but doing it in the bathroom of the house i live in sucks.

If yas set pots on top of pots to up pot and only allow vertical roots to set and THEN become lateral feeders like Bog usedta preach , it`s just more rootmass to feed properly

cant see that one working with blumats :(

D

DaveTheNewbie

ok its 1 week later, and after 4 weeks of veg time under the 400w MH ive moved to the flowering tent. They are all tied back too.

picture.php

420ish

looks good.i never ran 3 lights stacked,so am not sure how much trimming you need.if you are running 4 plants only why are the two plants situated next to each other?

D

DaveTheNewbie

looks good.i never ran 3 lights stacked,so am not sure how much trimming you need.if you are running 4 plants only why are the two plants situated next to each other?

good question

the simple answer is i just dont have room to fit anything in further around the light.

in theory each plant should be 90 degrees further around than the last, but i made the screens in a way that i cant fit them in.

EDIT : thinking about it cause you asked, all i have to do is cut the back of the feet off and i could fit it in .. the plant grows forward so the back feet dont carry any weight anyway ....

D

DaveTheNewbie

well thanks to 420ish ive taken a hacksaw to my frames in situ

is this more what you were thinking 420ish?

picture.php

picture.php