What's new

Obama: "We've Got Bigger Fish to Fry"

President Obama says recreational users of marijuana in states that have legalized the substance should not be a "top priority" of federal law enforcement officials prosecuting the war on drugs.

"We've got bigger fish to fry," Obama said of pot users in Colorado and Washington during an exclusive interview with ABC News' Barbara Walters.

"It would not make sense for us to see a top priority as going after recreational users in states that have determined that it's legal," he said, invoking the same approach taken toward users of medicinal marijuana in 18 states where it's legal.

Obama's comments on marijuana are his first following Colorado and Washington voters' approval of Nov. 7 ballot measures that legalize the recreational use and sale of pot in defiance of federal law.

Marijuana, or cannabis, remains classified under the Controlled Substances Act as a Schedule I narcotic whose cultivation, distribution, possession and use are criminal acts. It's in the same category as heroin, LSD and "Ecstasy," all deemed to have high potential for abuse.

Obama told Walters he does not – "at this point" – support widespread legalization of marijuana. But he cited shifting public opinion and limited government resources as reasons to find a middle ground on punishing use of the drug.

"This is a tough problem, because Congress has not yet changed the law," Obama said. "I head up the executive branch; we're supposed to be carrying out laws. And so what we're going to need to have is a conversation about, How do you reconcile a federal law that still says marijuana is a federal offense and state laws that say that it's legal?"

The president said he has asked Attorney General Eric Holder and the Justice Department to examine the legal questions surrounding conflicting state and federal laws on drugs.

"There are a number of issues that have to be considered, among them the impact that drug usage has on young people, [and] we have treaty obligations with nations outside the United States," Holder said Wednesday of the review underway.

As a politician, Obama has always opposed legalizing marijuana and downplayed his personal history with the substance.

Obama wrote in his 1995 memoir, "Dreams from My Father," that he would smoke pot regularly with his high school buddies who formed a "club of disaffection." The group was known as the "Choom Gang," says Obama biographer David Maraniss.

"There are a bunch of things I did that I regret when I was a kid," Obama told Walters. "My attitude is, substance abuse generally is not good for our kids, not good for our society.

"I want to discourage drug use," he added.

While the administration has not prioritized prosecutions of marijuana users and small-scale distributors in states where it's legal, it has not ceased prosecutions altogether. The Justice Department has continued raids on pot providers – including in states where they are legal – in an approach that experts say is more aggressive than Obama's predecessor, George W. Bush.

"I never made a commitment that somehow we were going to give carte blanche to large-scale producers and operators of marijuana – and the reason is, because it's against federal law," Obama told "Rolling Stone" in an interview earlier this year.

It "is a murky area," Obama told the magazine, "where you have large-scale, commercial operations that may supply medical marijuana users, but in some cases may also be supplying recreational users. In that situation, we put the Justice Department in a very difficult place if we're telling them, 'This is supposed to be against the law, but we want you to turn the other way.' That's not something we're going to do."

Obama and the Office of National Drug Control Policy say the negative impacts of widespread marijuana legalization loom large.

Legalization would lower the price of "weed," thereby fueling its use and triggering more widespread negative health effects and subsequent costs of care, the administration says in its official policy position. Officials also say legalization would do little to curb drug violence or eliminate cartels.

"When you're talking about drug kingpins, folks involved in violence, people who are peddling hard drugs to our kids and our neighborhoods that are devastated, there is no doubt we need to go after those folks hard," said Obama.

"It makes sense for us to look at how we can make sure that our kids are discouraged from using drugs and engaging in substance abuse generally," he said. "There's more work we can do on the public health side and the treatment side."

More of Barbara Walters' exclusive first joint, post-election interview with President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama airs tonight on "20/20" at 10 p.m. ET on ABC stations.

Colorado and Washington are the first states to legalize recreational use of marijuana, presenting a fresh challenge for the Obama Justice Department to navigate in a second term.

While public opinion has shifted toward legalization over the past few years, Americans remain divided about the personal use of pot.

Fifty percent of American adults oppose legalizing the possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use, while 48 percent would support such a measure, according to a November ABC News/Washington Post poll. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 points.

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat who personally opposed legalization, on Monday formally approved the voter-backed amendment to the state constitution legalizing recreational use of marijuana.

The measure will allow individuals to possess one ounce of pot and up to six marijuana plants and licensed stores to sell marijuana starting next year.

Washington State last week officially became the first to allow recreational use of marijuana when a voter-approved ballot measure took effect.

In both states, pot use remains illegal in public. Eighteen states have approved the use of marijuana for medicinal use with a doctor's order. Federal law still prohibits all use and sale of marijuana.

More of Barbara Walters' exclusive first joint, post-election interview with President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama airs tonight 12/14 on "20/20" at 10 p.m. ET on ABC stations.

More here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/14/obama-pot-washington-colorado_n_2299512.html

Last edited by a moderator:
"There are a number of issues that have to be considered, among them the impact that drug usage has on young people, [and] we have treaty obligations with nations outside the United States," Holder said Wednesday of the review underway.

That is my least favorite part of the article. To me it looks like the feds are going to keep busting the legal weed stores and mmj stores, until Federal AND UN law is changed.

Puffaluffagus

Veteran
You beat me to it.
I was just coming to post this article.
I think this is positive as hell, and the most exciting thing I've heard since the vote passed in CO and WA.

I especially like this part

"Obama told Walters he does not – "at this point" – support widespread legalization of marijuana. But he cited shifting public opinion and limited government resources as reasons to find a middle ground on punishing use of the drug.
"This is a tough problem, because Congress has not yet changed the law," Obama said."

"Not yet" that sure makes me think that it's being discussed and considered.
I'm so glad he got reelected, you think we would have been hearing this kind of talk from Mitt(i don't give a shit about MMJ) Romney?

D

drifting

it seems as though hes not really taking a stance for it or against it.

Skip

Veteran
I don't see that Obama's stance has changed that much. They were supposed to make enforcement of Federal marijuana laws a low priority during his first term, especially regarding medical mj, and yet it doesn't seem like the Justice department did, particularly in California.

Let's hope the Feds abide by the new state recreational marijuana laws.

I can see the Feds still busting people smoking on Federal land or property to make their point. But it's not economical nor politically useful for the Feds to go after smokers.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
He said EXACTLY what he said during his first term about states and their medical programs. He is so full of it...

What his administration REALLY thinks:

[urlhttp://www.whitehouse.gov/ondcp/ondcp-fact-sheets/marijuana-legalization[/ url]
**(a member told me that whitehouse.gov uses a tracking cookie - so I deactivated the link - you can still copy and paste)**

dank.Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I don't see that Obama's stance has changed that much. They were supposed to make enforcement of Federal marijuana laws a low priority during his first term, especially regarding medical mj, and yet it doesn't seem like the Justice department did, particularly in California.

I can see the Feds still busting people smoking on Federal land or property to make their point. But it's not economical nor politically useful for the Feds to go after smokers.

You seen what happened to the big dispensaries in California. It looked like drug war II to me.

But yes, he is finally giving in. He has bigger fish to fry and he is a lame duck.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
He said EXACTLY what he said during his first term about states and their medical programs. He is so full of it...

That is EXACTLY what I thought while reading it. It is almost verbatim from his MMJ bullshit, and people are finding this to be encouraging?? Better look at what they've been doing in California, people.

S

SeaMaiden

THIS! We are low-hanging fruit, easy to nail. Just think about how many MMJ users you know. How many have assets, or friends enough who would come to their aide if busted? The feds haven't changed their stance on Harborside, have they? Yet it's all completely state-legal, to the point of them paying taxes (and the state Dept. of Franchise and the IRS accepting said taxes, and going for more). What's happening on that front?

Do not be so easily led astray by the smooth-talking man.
Conversely, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannabis arrests per administration: (up to 2010)

http://stash.norml.org/bigbook/arrests-by-admin.html

If anyone even for ONE SECOND thinks Obama has been decent to MMJ - that is completely debunked by the numbers...he has been just as vigilante in his frying of fish... as he so delicately put it.

I HATE how he completely talks down his nose and scoffs at the cannabis community as a whole - when he himself was once a smoker. He doesn't respond hastily or seeming joking when he addresses his other constituent groups, does he?

A truly hypocritical position...

dank.Frank

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Isn't this the same exact thing he said about medical marijuana and dispensaries, before not stopping massive raids.

For MMJ he said "It wasn't a top priority", to seperate him from what happens as if someone else made it their priority. Obama has the execute power to stop this if he really wanted to, he's not up for re-election what would it hurt? Unless he is motivated by lobbying interests and political pressures that are against the protection of cannabis all around...

This seems to be the case, hopefully the law will change. I foresee a good chance that legal cannabis outlets will be raided like dispensaries.

Jbonez

Veteran
Obama is no different than a hyped cut.. Where instead of pics to make him look great, he has an amazing way with words, very effective with speeches, and has a charisma that I admit makes even me want to like him as a person.. however......

In reality, the man is no different from any president, they are all told what to do, they dont have any control, thats reserved for those funding our government...

Obama=Fail.

Here is your chance to make good, and you fucked it up... way to go "bro".. We are used to it...

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
the problems this country faces and the man is going fishing?

just sos you know i've got a reading disability.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
the fed's are going to feast on the borders of WA, & CO... w/ the traffic alone...

Skip

Veteran
Someone just quoted Obama as saying something to the effect that if this were the 1980s, he'd be a moderate Republican. I only mention this because it explains his actions regarding marijuana. Nixon and Reagan were just as unfriendly to marijuana users.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
I'm so glad he got reelected, you think we would have been hearing this kind of talk from Mitt(i don't give a shit about MMJ) Romney?

Quoting this to remind me how stupid people are, and also quoting so I can re quote in one year to show how stupid some are. :tiphat:

That is EXACTLY what I thought while reading it. It is almost verbatim from his MMJ bullshit, and people are finding this to be encouraging?? Better look at what they've been doing in California, people.

It's two o'clock central time and suddenly marijuana legalization doesn't feel very important.

The President's words on legalization are very important either way it plays out. If the government continues to crack down a la California they will turn public opinion even more, perhaps more than if they maintain a hands-off approach. It was the disconnect between words and actions on MMJ that helped bring us to this point. Don't think that they don't know it.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
It's two o'clock central time and suddenly marijuana legalization doesn't feel very important.

The President's words on legalization are very important either way it plays out. If the government continues to crack down a la California they will turn public opinion even more, perhaps more than if they maintain a hands-off approach. It was the disconnect between words and actions on MMJ that helped bring us to this point. Don't think that they don't know it.

All the hippies are older now, look at the Stones and the Who in the show the other night.

These people need medicine, arthritis etc. Doctors are not really into prescribing narcotics for lifetime ailments.... It just makes them into drug addict.

Then there all these living ghost that just think it was a safe and okay thing to do regardless. A lot of them have been dreaming to live to see the day that it is legal for fun.

The tides are turning and any businessman or politician that doesn't change with the times is soon to become rendered useless.

As a man I have great respect once said, "The times are a changin"