What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Avi Makes Butter (in pictures)

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Using up some trim, making a ganja butter, nothing new here as far as technique goes, just wanted to share the experience of making a round of medicated butter.

I take my dry trim:

Fill my "Big Ass" Pot about one third full of dry trim, saturate plant material with water until plant matter is soaked and floating on about one inch of water beneath it. Pot on the stove med-low heat.

next I add butter, this time i used 8 lbs.
picture.php

let that all melt together
picture.php

I let that mix sit on low heat, stirred occasionally (more often is better.... equalizes the temp n stuff, gives u something to do, keep an eye on it). dont let it bubble much, keep heat low enough to limit smell, dont cook off them yummy terps if u can help it.

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As a rule I say 4 hours minimum "cook" time, this batch went about 24 hours, about 5 off for sleeping time. low temp the entire time, stirred often.

To separate liquid from plant matter, i prefer to use bubble bags, but when most of your belongings are packed in storage.... you use panty hose.

i cut them off and tie them off, spread over a container and ladle my stew into the center to strain, like so:
picture.php

to get every bit of the liquid out of the hot mass of plant matter, I tie off the open end, set it in a strainer over my container, and press with a jar bottom or bowl or mug (no pic for this part, my hands were too buttery)

after this initial separation i like to run the liquid thru another clean layer of filter (in this case panty hose). I filter it usually 2 x after the initial:

then I pour the "clean" liquid into quart jars and set them in the fridge to separate:
picture.php

ALWAYS invert jars during cooling so water forms at the mouth of the jar for easy removal
Its also kinda important not to shake or jostle the jar as it is cooling and water and butter are separating, or you can get pockets of water in your butter:

picture.php

^^ jar on the left has pockets of water in the butter, jar on the right was undisturbed in cooling, no pockets of water in butter. to fix this simply thaw the butter, basically melt it back into the water, shake it all up, then re-cool it without disruption. thats what i do at least.

:tiphat:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Once your butter is fully congealed and solid,
time for final separation.

over the sink
open the jar, gently pour out the water.
usually there is a "so-so" later that forms between the butter and water. generally i like to remove this later w a spoon, it is usually less than 2 cm thick, so you aren't really throwing much out.

final product:

picture.php

:peacock:

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
avin how much herb did u used its a very nice shade of green i use a crock pot smaller batches but its works fine i use 20 to 30 gr one half cup butter makes1 pan of brownies or cookies its take 2 days to make butter & brownies 1 day to eate them all lol

Easygrowing

Veteran
well Documented AM !but how is those tasteing-good or bad ? mabye not very importent about good or bad-but for be stoned ..BUT would you then could do some cookies,with those butter instead of normal butter-think you would could,,,so it can taste good-thats the point-if and so..newer had tried do those butter..no smokes coming out-therefore : ) true...
Thanks 4 sharing..

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yhea, that....

yhea, that....

avin how much herb did u used its a very nice shade of green

ya... sorry bugman
i should have weighed my trim first to really give a good idea of the process.
i have tons of trim so im just stomping thru processing it, but should have documented it for documentations sake...
I will weigh it proper next time i make a batch to give a good idea. Just did 20 lbs of butter, so next time i think ill make olive oil or coconut oil. Im wanting to make a nice medicated salad dressing, cuz i eat alot of salads in the winter. :)

If I had to guess how much trim was used for this run (8lbs pictured) i would guess at least 10oz, maybe as much as 20oz. I will admit that this does include a good amount of fan leaves (still very sugary) but its not all "sugar trim"

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Surprised I never thought of pouring it in upside-down jars before. Thanks for the tip!

Nice job there... :) Have you ever added water a second time and re-heated for a bit... a water wash of sorts? Less of a chlorophyll taste, but also less water-soluble turpenes left. Toss up there... :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
i use trim some times but i dont have a big enought crock pot so lately i been using buds so i have to keep up with how much is in the butter i made one batch didnot way buds it was toooo much for 2 of my frinds they said half a browney was just fine a salid dressing sound nice peace

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
word bugman, i got my "bigass" pot for like 15$ at some bigbox store. its about 3 1/2 gal total...

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Biotch!

What... is she the federal elf?

edit: Funny comic... but the problem is that's what folks are seeing in the 'other' states. The misinformation is soooo bad.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i like how butter acts in recipes, im planning on making coconut oil & olive oil asap.... also would like to use lecithin in my fatty extractions from now on.
need to get my hands on a buncha that stuff

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well Documented AM !but how is those tasteing-good or bad ? ..

raw & plain it is VERY strong tasting and raw cookie dough also is too strong tasting for me to eat raw, finished sugar cookies taste very strong like ganja but not overpowering or ruining the flavor in my opinion, just there to let you kno its there.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Taste definitely improves with water washes...

Re-melt, add hot water and shake the crap out of it. Put it back in the fridge.

Doing this a second time will remove even more flavor.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the advice h-s, ill try that soon,
i've always enjoyed the taste in my finished products, but a more pure finished butter is welcome also.
like you said, its kinda a toss up there.

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
nice thread AVI , I gunna be grabbing some lecithin today and trying my luck on BADKAT's canna caps recipe , that lecithin is sapposed to pimp your edibles this will be my first run using it , sooo cheap 200g / 5 bux hmmmmmm soo worth it ,
TS

Latest posts

Latest posts