What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about carbon scrubbers?

Icu 812

Hello everyone.long time lurker here. Im kinda new to the grow scene. not very many successful attempts. But on to my question about the scrubber and if this is in the wrong area i am sorry forum mods. Was wondering if a bigger surface area on a scrubber would cause less drag on a fan rather then trying to draw all the air through a tiny area causing resistance? if anyone has a better knowledge of air flow and such then me input would be greatly appreciated. because i dont deal with air flow much as a welder. Thank you in advance

S

shuswap

it all depend on how you are using the filter,for exhaust or to just scrub a room,can filters have a cfm rating on the side of each can,when scrubbing a room they recomend twice the cfm basically keeping the odor in the room thinner then running it slowly thru a exhaust fan,hope that helps

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
Purchase properly matched fan/filter combos for maximum odor control ... I wouldn't overcomplicate it homie. Peace!

Icu 812

Thank you both for your responses. I should have been a little more specific in my first post. I was talking more on the lines of a DIY carbon filter. Scrubber was not the best choice of words 2 different things i think. Example of of what I'm talking about would be using a bathroom fan to pull through the carbon. If the surface area of carbon was built out larger then the original area. For use of more carbon. Will it restrict airflow through the fan more then original size or would it increase to airflow by giving the air more area to be pulled from?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bathroom fan no good choice for scrubber / moving air.. there's a reason we use inlines because of the resistance they can cope with, along with moving long distances with little loss of cfm...

buy a proper setup man, it's really cheap, and honestly something you can use for a very very long time..

check ebay, they have so many used inlines it's crazy, or buy a new one from there. as for the scrubber, just buy one once again, what's 100 bucks, second, when it's done, replace the carbon for 24 bucks, and your good to not buy a $75 metal canister..

I like DIY and all, but carbon scrubber DIY, no thank you, the ones you buy look very nice compared to people's DIY, and second, get on to growing... less talk more walk

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
60 bucks will buy you an eighth of weed or an inline to help grow your own weed. no brainer. scrimp up the cash. habeeb's got it right. for what you get out of it, a small decent setup done right is cheap.

http://www.hpsgrowlightstore.com/hp...tore=default&gclid=COnLxMzZiLQCFQ-f4AodJgoATQ

Yup, what he said.

Hello everyone.long time lurker here. Im kinda new to the grow scene. not very many successful attempts. But on to my question about the scrubber and if this is in the wrong area i am sorry forum mods. Was wondering if a bigger surface area on a scrubber would cause less drag on a fan rather then trying to draw all the air through a tiny area causing resistance? if anyone has a better knowledge of air flow and such then me input would be greatly appreciated. because i dont deal with air flow much as a welder. Thank you in advance

But to answer your original question just for the record... yes... a larger surface area = less air restriction. Although you will always have SOME resistance no matter what kind of filter. And yeah with a bathroom exhaust fan you will be disappointed....

pop pop

For my previous grow I got a 4" carbon filter and inline fan and they worked better than anything else I tried. You can either pull or push the air. I ran it on a 24 hour timer and adjusted how often it went on based on how stinky the girls got. Just scrubbed the room, didn't exhaust. Folks do all manner of things but that's what has worked best for me. Like the other have said, it's worth the $. Oh, and they're loud, at least mine is, about like a vacuum cleaner. Hope this helps.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
The typical filter is going to add at least a 1/2" of static pressure, if not 3/4". When I used to build custom exhaust hoods for restaurant hot lines we used the following general rules:

1. Each 90 degree bend adds a 1/4" of static pressure to the system.
2. Each 12' of duct run adds 1/2" of static pressure to the system.
3. The filter bank adds up to 1/2" of static pressure to the system.

I am going through this now. I have various bends in my flexible duct work, a 12" fan muffler and a 7" can filter in a filter box. I started with a TD-Multivent putting out around 135 cfm, but it couldn't defeat the static pressure in my system. Next, I ran my 170 cfm centrifugal fan and it did not have enough power to push the air through the system. Tomorrow I will be hooking up my 230 cfm centrifugal and that beast will definitely have enough power, but I will likely have noise to deal with. All of this is to say that even proper planning and careful thought to system design may not be enough. Take your time and give careful consideration to all the issues -static pressure impacts not being the least of your concerns.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you need the right CFM for the size scrubber you have. to big/small wont give enough contact time. wont work properly. I just purchased a can 50. I will be running about 300 cfm through it. I have 3 scrubbers all have there function. This one is just to scrub the room. One is for the AC exhaust and one for the veg room. I want my setup to be 100% smell fee. If someone comes in stands right next to the flower room and not notice a thing.

bad gas

My 6" fans are a LOT quieter than my 4" fan. I don't use the 4" for that reason.

Plantlightinghydroponics.com has Organic Air carbon filters. They look like a giant K&N air filter for cars. They are rated for much more CFM than the CAN filter types. The 12" one is rated for 4000 CFM and weighs approx 20 lbs. Approx $200.00

I built a DIY carbon filter and was unimpressed with its performance. Acted like a cork in a tailpipe.

Hammerheads idea of extra filters inside the room sounds so good I'll order another filter for that. I've got extra 6" fans. My ladies smell like sweaty armpits. I call my garden the locker room.

Hope some of this helps. I ended up totally rebuilding my ventilation system after discovering that the original was inadequate. BTW, I live 20 miles from hell. Where you live will matter on this issue.

Have a nice day. bg

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think many too many get caught from the smell. Im now working on the fresh air intake. I need a more permanent setup then what's on there now. Its has to look good as well as function right. I hate to see Ducting all over,Electrical cords all over. A nice neat clean room keeps yuor plants happy and healthy :)

Last edited:

bcblazer

habib said it perfectly..right on! worth it's weight in gold as they say.. get a new can filter and match a fan for it's cfm rating.. think bigger than you need and put a speed dial on it...
dance013.gif

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just got my New 50 today. Here is a pic of the size diferance between the 50/33. I had to use my 6" fan until I get the new 8". The 6" is pulling close to 400cfm..I will use the same vendor Hydrofarm. Never had any issues with any of there stuff.
picture.php

bcblazer

Carbon scrubbers

Carbon scrubbers

:dance013:
Purchase properly matched fan/filter combos for maximum odor control ... I wouldn't overcomplicate it homie. Peace!

Great advice above and habib also. Keep it simple. 2 fans and a filter. Air exchange should be a complete air change every 1-3 minutes. My fresh air intake is 600 cfm for a small room(can fan). Fresh air is very important..pump lots in for best results :) I use Can filters as exhaust & scrubber w/recommended cfm fan and have speed dials on both for optimum control. Sounds like lots but it's not. Control that odor the right way. Put out the $$ initially and it'll go for years. The smell of our herb is what busts most people.

queequeg152

Veteran
The typical filter is going to add at least a 1/2" of static pressure, if not 3/4". When I used to build custom exhaust hoods for restaurant hot lines we used the following general rules:

1. Each 90 degree bend adds a 1/4" of static pressure to the system.
2. Each 12' of duct run adds 1/2" of static pressure to the system.
3. The filter bank adds up to 1/2" of static pressure to the system.

I am going through this now. I have various bends in my flexible duct work, a 12" fan muffler and a 7" can filter in a filter box. I started with a TD-Multivent putting out around 135 cfm, but it couldn't defeat the static pressure in my system. Next, I ran my 170 cfm centrifugal fan and it did not have enough power to push the air through the system. Tomorrow I will be hooking up my 230 cfm centrifugal and that beast will definitely have enough power, but I will likely have noise to deal with. All of this is to say that even proper planning and careful thought to system design may not be enough. Take your time and give careful consideration to all the issues -static pressure impacts not being the least of your concerns.

static pressure drops are not a fixed number.

static pressure drops across fittings are a function of air velocity or CFM depending on how you want to look at it.

the same bullhead tee or hard 90 will approach 0 static pressure drop as the velocity approaches 0.

i mention this because commercial kitchen ventilation is likely 1000+ feet per minute. these inline fans and bathroom exhaust fans are going to be far lower.

B

bigganjabud

DONT FORGET A FAN CONTROLLER

They really really improved my grows

Went from what am i doing wrong?

To lol thats more than a gpw!!!!!!!