What's new

Kit Kat's OG Kush Donuts

Kit Kat

Strain: (10) OG Kush (Old cut, maybe 15-20+ years)
Containers: (10) 2 gallon Air Pots (yellow bottom)
Room: GrowLab GL145L (5' x 10')
Lights: (2) 600w bare GE bulbs
Exhaust: 745 CFM 8" C.A.P. Valueline, 8 x 24" Phresh Scrubber, 8 x 24" Phresh Duct Muffler
Intake: Passive, just have an open window. But I won't do that again.
Water/Nutrients: Most of the House & Garden line (excepting Aminos and Algen), 32g trashcan elevated 2' for a res, and blumats.

Pictures!
Day 20 Veg
Day 12 Flower
Day 19 Flower
Day 22 Flower
Day 28 Flower
Day 40 Flower
Day 56 Flower
Day 64 Harvest

After my last grow had to be torn down due to flooding my entire life flipped upside down and I ended up a newly minted bachelor with a lot of extra space (and time) on my hands. Did a lot of reading and was blown away by the simplicity and yields of bare bulb vert, so I decided to give it a go with a couple of donuts around 600s and see how it goes.

The setup right now is five OG Kush (a cut gifted to me by a friend who's been growing it for a good long time now) per bulb in coco. Blumats are used for watering and are hooked up in a loop which runs back to a 32g trashcan. Using the House and Garden line and following the schedule for a four week veg and ten week flower.

With some help from another thread the climate is now under control, with air being pulled from outside and exchanged twice a minute the temps stay at 75-76 consistently.

They look a bit pissed right now unfortunately. I just realized tonight that my ph pen was off by .6 so these were getting water that was much higher than I'd like and causing leaf twists and folding.

Once that sorts itself out though, I'm a bit at a loss for next steps. If I don't plan on setting up a vertical scrog is there anything that really needs to be done other than letting them grow, and giving it the flip in a week to ten days? Or any other suggestions? I've never grown the strain or vertically, so I'm not quite sure how to proceed.

Right after installing the blumats (I wasn't able to get a copy of photoshop to clean these up, will do later for sure)
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

L

LEX-UK

shotgun!

mate! this shits gonna be fun.. definitly subbed to this thread.

gd lk bro sorry to hear of your troubles happy days from now on tho ay?

benzo

Nice ! What is the silver thing passed your intake fan. Is that a duct muffler ?

Any plans to add a vertical trellis or cage to keep them from hitting the bulb ?

Kit Kat

shotgun!

mate! this shits gonna be fun.. definitly subbed to this thread.

gd lk bro sorry to hear of your troubles happy days from now on tho ay?

Thanks for stopping in to look! I can only hope I don't make anymore dumb noob mistakes.

Nice ! What is the silver thing passed your intake fan. Is that a duct muffler ?

Any plans to add a vertical trellis or cage to keep them from hitting the bulb ?

Yep, it's an 8" Phresh duct muffler I picked up on a nice black friday sale. I was making them myself before, but this is soooo much easier to work with. I don't like having unmuffled fan noises going, and since my intake is an open window in a crowded community it was cheap to not worry about it.

I'm not sure if I should get a cage or a trellis yet. I'm leaning away from a trellis just because it looks like a royal pain in the balls, maybe stick some tomato cages in the pots instead? Willing to be convinced otherwise though.

Kit Kat

Forget tomato cages... build screens like Ichabod.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=242646&page=3

I really love these. Definitely have this saved for the next grow, but unfortunately as soon as this one is done I'm packing up and moving across country so adding that much extra infrastructure on top of what I already have is a bit much.

Ended up getting a few cheap packs of bamboo stakes, and I'll make a little teepee on each pot here shortly to help hold things up.

Still haven't gotten Photoshop, so I'm not sure how to correct these otherwise but here are a few pictures from the 4th day of flower. They were topped a week prior, and flipped on the 15th. Every day I poke in there and prune out large fans covering bud sites and snip out any sucker branches developing along the bottom, and have just started to remove back branches that are obviously going to be crowded out as these get thicker.

RipVanWeed

Nice looking set up, Kit Kat.

I know the word is to keep the bulb so high during stretch, but I can't let all those primary lumens just bounce around. I imagine that I'm trying to blast my girls with as much energy as they take.

Try lowering the bulbs so that most of the bulb is below the tops, maybe just 1/4 of the bulb above.

Like I said...Nice set up, Good Luck

Kit Kat

Thanks, Rip! One of the things I really love about changing to a vert set up is how simple and clean the configuration is - provided I'm exchanging 2x and have a couple honeywells there isn't much more needed and working in there is easy as hell.

I was thinking about the bulb thing too... there's a plant in the far back left that just keeps stretching above everyone else and it's obviously getting denser since it's above the bottom of the light, but I can't help but see every single post DHF has ever made about where the bulb ought to be during stretch.

Mister_D

Veteran
Thanks, Rip! One of the things I really love about changing to a vert set up is how simple and clean the configuration is - provided I'm exchanging 2x and have a couple honeywells there isn't much more needed and working in there is easy as hell.

I was thinking about the bulb thing too... there's a plant in the far back left that just keeps stretching above everyone else and it's obviously getting denser since it's above the bottom of the light, but I can't help but see every single post DHF has ever made about where the bulb ought to be during stretch.

and freds is right :biggrin:. Keeping the tip of the bulb at the top of the plants during stretch will encourage vertical growth. If you wanted less vertical and more horizontal growth you would simply drop the bulb into the canopy for the whole flower period.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I really love these. Definitely have this saved for the next grow, but unfortunately as soon as this one is done I'm packing up and moving across country so adding that much extra infrastructure on top of what I already have is a bit much.
[/url]
I don't glue the screens so they pop apart and lay flat if you need.

I use bamboo stacks sometimes in veg and find it is best to use three. One going up the center for the main stem and two spread at the top to tie branches to. This will give me more spread so when I drop the light the plant fills in.

Kit Kat

Thanks Marlo! Appreciate you stopping in, I've learned a lot from your threads and have passed those around to others as an example of what vert can do.

Mister_D, thanks for clarifying that - I think I might let them go up to 4' then drop the bulb down from there. OG Kush is supposed to be a 9-10 week strain, right? 4 weeks of stretch would probably be a bit much considering the size when I flipped them...

Dave, I love those screens and the blumat configuration even more! Glad to hear more positive reviews on 'em.

JAY - thanks man! I could use the luck, my last few grows have taught me how little I do know...

Ichabod, definitely am going to build the screens after the move. I didn't even think of just laying them flat and intact.. I was imagining another rubber maid full of PVC bits and pieces. What do you mean by two pieces at the top? I was going to do a teepee style just to have something to tie branches to but I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean.

mega, love the welcome - and your grows, the vert cult seems like the place to be!

----

The only issue besides the untrained and unscreened nature of my plants are the damn blumats... I noticed this during my Kalichakra grow too (but worse in this), but one carrot just isn't enough for these air pots with all the air exchange going on. Either they're dripping too much and overflowing the saucers a bit, or its too dry. All in all whether too much or too little for my taste the plants all seem happy with it, but the next time I do this I think I'm going to swap over to maxis and get them down deeper.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Ichabod, definitely am going to build the screens after the move. I didn't even think of just laying them flat and intact.. I was imagining another rubber maid full of PVC bits and pieces. What do you mean by two pieces at the top? I was going to do a teepee style just to have something to tie branches to but I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean.

I try to keep my top branches and remove the lower branches. This causes the tops to be concentrated close together at the top. To spread them out I sometimes use stacks in a vee pattern with a stack also splitting the vee in the center. The stack in the center is to tie the main stem to. The stacks placed in the vee pattern then allow me to tie branches out from the center and get the spread I need. In addition I can then pull some of the branches down and tie them in a heart shape ti fill in where the lower branches had been removed. This style will also allow you to keep the plant in a flat plane facing the light. By keeping the plant in a single plane you will be able to maximize the light usage by keeping as much of the plant in the light as possible.

Kit Kat

That picture really helps, I was still having a bit of a time wrapping my head around this one. I see what you mean about being able to train in a flat plane and still get away with just using a few sticks. Thank you!

Last night saw a lot more pruning, and the tops are getting clustered together so this couldn't've come at a better time. Before the weekend is out I'm going to get these spread out.

Kit Kat

Just a couple of phone shots from when I poked my head in earlier to pull a few leaves and make sure everything was working as expected. Didn't have time to stake or do a whole lot over the holidays. Can't get over how easy blumats make things... I was able to ignore it for four days and not worry about anything.

Day 12 of flower in these shots.

Left

Right