What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alpha and Beta CBD Outdoor mix led grow

jenery

Hello everybody, here I would like to document my first led grow.

The seeds are 2 days old, I called them Alpha and Beta, they are feminized CBD Crew Outdoor mix. I soaked them for 24 hours and then used the paper towel method and they germinated after one day, then they needed 12 hours to show the cotyledon.

The light is pro grow 260. Real wattage is around 180watts both spectrums on, now the light is in the veg mode:

24/0 for the next 10 days/2 weeks max... Then drop to 18/6.

The temperature is 20degrees C thanks to a 60watt bulb because the led light is not emitting almost any heat, hopefully i will have soon a 200watt cfl to improve the conditions.

Here are the ladies:

here is the link to my other thread with more medicine plants:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=249975

All suggestions advices and ideas are welcomed, have a nice day everyone.

jenery

Thank you very much DevilWeedSeeds, I will try my best to make my girls happy.

Here they are on day 5 under the led light, i have buried their stems yesterday...

Tomorrow I am going to order the 200watt dual spectrum cfl light plus mycorrhizae, ewc and chamomille, clover, chickweed and yarrow seeds so i can soon start preparing their final pots. Now they are in 2l pet coke bottles and after that I will transplant them in 5 litre containers and for flowering they will be in the shopping bags from tesco (cheap smart pots).

Happy growing everyone!!!:dance013:

jenery

8 days old

8 days old

Hello, after first week i am very happy that the plants are progressing as they are... My hand is itching to switch on even the red spectrum every day more and more and i will probably do it tonight as my 200watt cfl should come very soon. Anyway here they are:

and together:

Have a nice evening everyone!

vukman

Veteran
Heya...nice to see another person on the LED 'bandwagon'....just writing to wish you all the best and hope that the 'Growing Gods' are smiling upon you.

As a note though, you can turn on the reds and depending on their wave length, they will promote some heavy duty root development.

As I always say though, please do some reading about the subject matter before going down that road. I would hate it for anyone to take my advise and then something not work out right and I have to shoulder the burden of that.....I can only say from personal experience that the red spectrum gave me some wild root growth......BUT.......it came at the price of vertical growth. My girls were short and were wider than they were tall!!!! LOL.........still, what a freaking root mass I ended up with..sorry I have no pictures. I didn't even think of taking any of the roots on the last grow. I definitely will this time around.

Good Luck

jenery

Red on

Red on

Hello vukman, thanks for stopping by and for your prayers to the Green Goddess, i hope she will hear us both:)

I have turned the red spectrum on yesterday night and the view of the garden absolutely changed, for the better i have to say, all the plants became green and natural to my human eyes, instead of whitish blue like under the veg mode.
Another thing, the temperature got higher to 22 degrees Celsium, which is very good i think. Still waiting for the cfl bulb but should be here in few days max so i am happy i can prepare them gradually for the increase of the lumens in the garden.

About your roots growing wild and the plants being shorter, that is exactly what could help immensely. My plan is to veg them in these 2l pet bottles until they will not need a transplant and then (in 2/3 weeks) put them straight into their flowering tesco bags.
I have now wormcastings and home compost, perlite, rock dust, so my soil mix should be pretty good and i will start a living mulch in them( chamomille, clover and nicotiana rustica).
The cabinet hosts other plants as well so if they stay short it means i do not have to put the light too high from the other smaller plants i am growing, so another bonus.

Thanks again and good luck:tiphat:

jenery

Soil mix

Soil mix

Hello everyone, today i am posting an update about my soil mix. I have prepared the 2 tesco reusable fabric bags that i am guessing are around 15 litres? Anyway here we go:

35% homemade compost with lots of banana peels
20% wormcastings
25% potting soil compost
15% perlite

1 cup sand, 1 cup volcanic rock dust, on the top some aromatic
wooden mulch

As a living mulch i sowed the surface with chamomille, clover and nicotiana rustica seeds. All was watered with chamomille, gynostemma and rustica tea i had made a few days ago.

And here are the ladies under the full spectrum light:

Have a nice day everyone:thank you:

jenery

light update

light update

Hi everyone, the new light already arrived yesterday, it is a GIANT 200watt cfl with red and blue spectrum 2700K and 6500K. :dance013:

here is the photo of the full spectrum of the led light:

the temperature has risen up to 24 degrees Celsium, in the next few days i would like to switch to 20/4 photoperiod, not sure when exactly...

Thanks for watching and next update will come soon enough.
:ying:

here is the photo of the full spectrum of the led light:

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=41087&pictureid=972178&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

the temperature has risen up to 24 degrees Celsium, in the next few days i would like to switch to 20/4 photoperiod, not sure when exactly...

Thanks for watching and next update will come soon enough.
:ying:
I am excited to watch you grow with this. I, for one, am not fully sold on the fact that LED's are fully ready for growing meds but I think they are close and its people like you who continue to keep going are the ones we can thank as LED's get better and better. The promise of less energy consumed, less of a heat signature to be seen appeal greatly to me.

jenery

2 weeks old

2 weeks old

Thank you IndicaCowboy, we will see how the lights do pretty soon!

Yesterday I read a post on another forum by Shantibaba from the CBDCrew and he wrote that it takes the CBD strains around a month longer to fully mature, it is consistent from their experimenting, so that is a factor to consider. Anyway, here they are today, 2 weeks old and growing nicely, just Beta is a little slower.

Alpha:

Beta:

Thanks for watching, have a nice weekend and carpe diem!:thank you:

vukman

Veteran
very nice.......they appear to be coming along rather nicely.......

If I may interject here into your thread please, I can shed some light ( pardon the pun) onto the subject of LEDs being ready for growing meds.

The fact is that most of the retailers have been spreading this nonsense about a 200W LED panel being equal to a 1000W HID.......no wonder there is so much negative thought about LEDs.

If you compare watt to watt, LED to HID, I have not yet seen a full blown test of this nature conducted but since I have placed around 1000W of LEDs into my tent and only very recently, I have seen a huge explosion in the buds and especially the trichomes!! I can say with some certainty that the LEDs would definitely produce a higher quality product hands down and as for yield.......Medmaker420 and Phychotron have had exceptional success with their hauls. You can check out their threads......especially Phycho holding a bud which is as long as his forearm!!!! All under LEDs.

So yes, LEDs are ready for prime time.......more than ready......just have to have the right spectrum and ratio plus close to a 1 to 1 ratio of wattage. I'm willing to bet though that with the right lights/panels....you can get away with around 700W of LED to 1000W of HID.....just my opinion though.

Once again Jenery, please forgive me for babbling here and if you want me to remove this from your thread....just PM me and I'll be more than happy to do so...

and yes, your plants are looking very nice...very nice indeed..:yes:

Good Luck

very nice.......they appear to be coming along rather nicely.......

If I may interject here into your thread please, I can shed some light ( pardon the pun) onto the subject of LEDs being ready for growing meds.

The fact is that most of the retailers have been spreading this nonsense about a 200W LED panel being equal to a 1000W HID.......no wonder there is so much negative thought about LEDs.

If you compare watt to watt, LED to HID, I have not yet seen a full blown test of this nature conducted but since I have placed around 1000W of LEDs into my tent and only very recently, I have seen a huge explosion in the buds and especially the trichomes!! I can say with some certainty that the LEDs would definitely produce a higher quality product hands down and as for yield.......Medmaker420 and Phychotron have had exceptional success with their hauls. You can check out their threads......especially Phycho holding a bud which is as long as his forearm!!!! All under LEDs.

So yes, LEDs are ready for prime time.......more than ready......just have to have the right spectrum and ratio plus close to a 1 to 1 ratio of wattage. I'm willing to bet though that with the right lights/panels....you can get away with around 700W of LED to 1000W of HID.....just my opinion though.

Once again Jenery, please forgive me for babbling here and if you want me to remove this from your thread....just PM me and I'll be more than happy to do so...

and yes, your plants are looking very nice...very nice indeed..:yes:

Good Luck
Shoot, I always like to hear counter points and be directed to threads with information. I am by no means and expert or even close. I have no indoor experience. I will be reading those theads you pointed out. Thank You.

jenery

Thanks for the input vukman, i have the led exactly for the reasons that you stated, the higher quality and more trichomes production... Another reason being i tried first with a 400w hid lamp in my place and the temperatures were just too high plus i cannot install any proper exhaustion system there, i have just a narrow holes around the door and a fan blowing inside for 15 mins every hour...

Madmakers420 thread i am subscribed to and i have seen a lot of led grows on this great icmag, i will check out Psychotron's thread for sure, my favourite led grower is Verdant Green.

Good thing is i can see the roots on the bottom of the pet bottles, so i have started to water from bottom instead of spraying them from top. Cannot wait for transplant when i want to introduce some endo mycorrhizae, but they will need 3 weeks to establish themselves in the symbiosis with the plants roots, so that would be probably the time they would still be vegging and then i plan to try some kind of scrog to maximize yield.

Last edited:

jenery

vegging nicely

vegging nicely

Hi everybody, so today i took some photos

the roots growing out from the bottoms of the pet pots:

this is Alpha:

as you can see, the ends of all the leaves are curled, no idea why, genetics?

here some new growth, sorry for the quality, hopefully Santa will bring some better camera...

Beta is smaller and her second set of leaves was not trileaf but single blades, so another genetic thing?

Last 2 days i left the garden closed for prolonged periods (8-10 hours) and the temperatures stay on 25 degrees C lights on and drop to 18 degrees C with the lights off. In 2/3 days i am planning to change the schedule to 18/6.

Good night everybody and happy growing

jenery

18 days old

18 days old

So here are my ladies getting bigger and stronger every day, with some secondary growth from the first and second set of leaves after the cotyledon, hopefully i will be able to top or fim them soon... the roots are filling the cup so the transplant is not far in the future.

Alpha:

Beta:

and together:

thanks for watching:thank you:

jenery

3 weeks old and freshly transplanted

3 weeks old and freshly transplanted

Hello fellow growing friends, today i have transplanted my two ladies.
I have had some yellowing on Alpha's first set of the leaves, here is the photo:

Not sure what it is but i decided to transplant because it could be related to some deficiency and the roots were getting rootbound anyway. So because of this problem Alpha is now smaller and not doing as well as Beta.

Alpha before transplant:

Alpha after transplant:

hopefully she is going to come back strong now when the roots have space to stretch.

jenery

transplant continued

transplant continued

And here is the myco stuff i used while transplanting:

Here is Beta after transplant:

And together in their new homes:

The plants are now in 19/5 light schedule and if they recover fast after transplanting i am planning to top/fim them soon. My goal would be some kind of scrog to fill with lot of tops and when this happens i will gradually get down to 12/12, probably in a 3/4 weeks time... The mycorrhizae need 3 weeks to establish themselves with the roots so that would be a nice boost going to the flower.

Thanks for watching and may your tears come from laughing!

jenery

21.12.2012 update

21.12.2012 update

Hello fellow survivors, today i am posting new pictures of my two ladies. They are almost 4 weeks old and i have topped them 2 days after the transplant. Last two days the light schedule went from 18/6 to 17/7.

The smell of the ladies is starting to be more distinctive when i rub the stem or branches, they both smell pretty spicy, but it is still very early for these qualities to express themselves and to judge them, that time will come when they will be flowering.

First is Alpha, unfortunately not growing much compared to Beta, when topped, she was one level lower then Beta, so she has just 6 branches now.

The one leaf above cotyledon almost all yellow, the second one here:

Not sure what it is, Ph issue or mag deficiency, in the worst case root aphids? I have been spraying with some garlic/onion/tobacco pesticide, 3 days ago applied diatomaceous earth around the grow room and have some neem oil, but that seems no good for root aphids...

Anyway, Beta does not have these problems and she is one lovely bushy plant growing strong:

Happy growing in the new era and enjoy your Saturnalias with your loved ones, bye.