What's new

cloning a autoflower?

hvacdabber

I've been reading some posts about cloning auto flower plants and I'm a bit discouraged. Is there any way to clone a auto flower plant?

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you have a true autoflower meaning it can flower on 24/7 then you are SOL....

You can take and root cuttings but if they are true AF's they never can go back into veg and all you get is a smaller AF plant and just not worth it.

Now if you do some research you may find some of what they call Super Autoflowers which are strains that AF but grow to full size plants. You could possibly take cuttings from one of them but the cuttings are not going to be a nice size before they start to flower but won't be the size of the plant that you took cuttings from making it once again just not worth it.

There have been tests trying to get a AF back into a veg state and the only way I know is via cold cold temps but them you just slow down growth and once you warm up again it flowers like normal.

S_a_H

Mr Jay

Veteran
Can I force a veg stage?

Nope, not going to happen. For all your trouble if you want something in a vege state why don't you just use photos? The whole point of growing autos is the autoflowering, isn't it?

Femora

Ive tried with _fail_ as result so far. The only thing I got was like 1g, max 2 g plants. These were taken from plants about 25-30 days into flowering. Like a inch of hairy earlybuds.

I have a new try with my AK47x going on, ang this looks way more interesting. This new plant have WAY better root-system then the last 4-5 ones.. (btw, 1 of them selfpollinated herself (!!) Found a seed when I was putting it into the grinder. lol)
Last 2 were taken before the or in the beginning of preflower.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Your best bet is to find an 'almost' autoflower.

Look for less-worked autoflower strains that still pop females with photoperiod dependent genes.

You want to find a female that doesn't flower under 24/0 lighting but that starts flowering at 23/1 or 22/2 lighting. As long as you never give that female less than 24/0... you should always be able to take clones.

Incidentally... I'm looking for something like this myself in a heavy-yielding indica. I live at 10,000 feet and only have a 3 month growing season. Being able to veg 3' plants during the winter and have them start flowering as soon as I throw them outside?

Priceless! :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Femora

Your best bet is to find an 'almost' autoflower.

Look for less-worked autoflower strains that still pop females with photoperiod dependent genes.

You want to find a female that doesn't flower under 24/0 lighting but that starts flowering at 23/1 or 22/2 lighting. As long as you never give that female less than 24/0... you should always be able to take clones.

Incidentally... I'm looking for something like this myself in a heavy-yielding indica. I live at 10,000 feet and only have a 3 month growing season. Being able to veg 3' plants during the winter and have them start flowering as soon as I throw them outside?

Priceless! :D

Hey there!
Do you know any strain thats f*cked up like that and will work with 23/1 -22/2?
I would love to try it out! ;)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I wish... haven't had the time and the notion at once yet. :(

Like I said... would come in very handy up here in the mountains. Perhaps next year I'll be able to go through some seeds. Things are changing here in Colorado. :)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Thanks a bunch! :) Afghani happens to be a great topical strain. :)

edit: happen to know a vendor on those??

Last edited:

WeedFarm

very interesting @ those two thanks for the info SAH,
and as far as cloning an auto flower and being able to control veg vs flowering.... pretty much the main diff betwee AFs & reg seeds, from what i can tell

Femora

Interesting.. I have some AK47x (x=AF) from "norden seeds". Ill put 2 seeds into water right away to see if 24/0 will keep them in veg!
Its a offspring from Lowryder1 & Serious seeds AK47.

Is it even a possibility that they work out...?

Hempsmoke

Interesting.. I have some AK47x (x=AF) from "norden seeds". Ill put 2 seeds into water right away to see if 24/0 will keep them in veg!
Its a offspring from Lowryder1 & Serious seeds AK47.

Is it even a possibility that they work out...?

Hey
I can tell you my auto AKs did start to flower under 24/0

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hey
I can tell you my auto AKs did start to flower under 24/0

Yep... for a 'stabilized' strain you're probably going to have to sprout a few hundred seeds or more to find a semi-auto... not sure.

It all depends on where that original auto-affie came from and if crossing with 'ruderalis' will create another semi-auto. LOL

At any rate, more research is in order. :)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hey there!
Do you know any strain thats f*cked up like that and will work with 23/1 -22/2?
I would love to try it out! ;)

Royal Canadian Marijuana Collective

There are quite a few strains there that should do the trick! :) Someone tipped me off and I forgot to update this thread. LOL

Hydro soil
Following this thread and just a thought, not sure if it is relevant to this discussion, I have grown some of the Biddy Early, now from Serious Seeds, and this girl will autoflower given enough time growing, think about 90 days or so, I would think this is a semi autoflower strain given these traits but unsure if that's really the case.
Any thoughts on Biddy?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Early flowering is the genetic trait I'm specifically looking for.

The RCMC has quite a few strains that utilize early flowering genes. They work with autos and early flowering strains for the colder, shorter growing seasons in canada.

Though you are unable to clone an autoflower for regular purposes... phenotypes of some strains will definitely stay in veg under 22/2 lighting, allowing purposeful cloning to occur.