What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cohiba "mom" of white widow?

idiit

Veteran
Quote:
Saved a couple of landrace sats in the last decade--Blue Mountain Jamaica and a Brazilian plant called Cohiba (claimed to be 1/2 of the White Widow cross)
https://www.*********.com/community/...ityalps.17110/

cohiba is also considered a brazilian strain..shatibaba at mns seeds ( the original white widow now called black widow owner) has stated on his forum that the grower he ( shanti) got the ww father from did not state the strain name of ww father, only that it was a brazilian strain known only as THE ONE. many believed the brazilian unknown strain to be manga rosa but the actual parentage is still unknown.

Quote:
3. Cohiba of Paraguayan phenotype: Main cola no longer pointed, getting round and thick. Most side branch buds still pointed. Bud growth slowing down. Calyxes swelling very large, even though pistils are still very alive and healthy.

Crystals: Very thick and developed on calyxes as they swell. Buds looking almost silver.

Smoke taste: Earthy, tobacco like taste. Stronger taste than Columbian, with slight hash under taste.

High: Level, even high. Around even level of indica body stone and sativa head stone. Good high, constant, level for several hours.

Final yield prediction: Think it will be best yielder, 80+ grams.
Quote:
Same with the Columbian and Paraguayan Cohiba. That is why I was totally shocked to look at the Brazilian Cohiba and see most early hairs have died and buds beginning to ripen. An 82% sativa plant that grows like a skunk, but starts finishing before near 100% indicas? That is something I have never seen before
Quote:
Brazilian pheno (1 plant), seems to be finishing very, very early. Stretch of buds appear to have stopped, now buds growing in tight, round indica like ball buds. This plant showing best crystal development. Negative side is that final yeild now looks like it will be small.

Paraguayan pheno (1 plant). Stretch of main cola has stopped, now tip is growing round and whole cola growing fatter. Smaller side branches still have sharp tips. Calyxes swelling to good size, turning silver with crystals. Looking like pictures of AK47 I have seen.

Colombian pheno (2 plants). All buds tips still pointed and stretching. Calyxes not yet swelling, crystals not yet developed. With luck, these two are just slower finishers and will start showing crystal developement in the next few weeks.
Quote:
1.Cohiba of Columbian phenotype (two plants): Early flowering, all pistils still alive and vibrant. Classic spear shaped buds. Buds not very dense, some oldest calyxes swell, but not many.

Crystals - None on sun leaves, starting to show on smallest bud leaves, best on main cola.

Smoke taste - Light, slight earthy, natural tobacco like taste. Smooth.

High - Very good and strong, even at early flowering. Energetic, electric feeling. Could be paranoid for new smoker, not a problem for me. Most special part of high is the length. Went to bed five hours after two small one hitters, was very high. Woke up eight hours later, 11 hours after smoking, still feeling good buzz and had a high hangover. Eat, drank, slept more, and exercise to wear out high before going to work. High finally gone 13 hours after smoking. Finished buds might be weekend weed only.

Final yield prediction - should be good, three more weeks may harvest around 50 dry grams per plant.

Breeding potential- EXCELLENT. Will be main breeding stock.
Quote:
Columbian Cohiba at six weeks was much more powerful than Nam Black buds at 10 weeks. Finished Columbian buds may be VERY strong.
^https://www.*********.com/community/.../cohiba.27193/

Quote:
The Father of White Widow
^ic mag thread on this subject:https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....ghlight=father

Quote:
he south indian hybrid originated from Kovalum Beach, but actually was grown in the mountains of Kerala. It was one of the most knock out effects of all time for me, so I went on safari and into the mountains to find it.After a few days of biking up to the area on my old Enfield I was lucky enough to be sitting in a cafe drinking a chai and smoking a joint. A middle aged looking glassy eyed fellow came over to me and shared my joint. We got pretty wasted and drank tea then he took me back to his village and onto his farm.It turned out this fella was the grower of this strain , and he recognized the smell...sometimes you get lucky! Anyhow I stayed there for several days and went through alot of testing with him. He did not really know alot but selected for the resin production.Considering it is high up and tropical it grew like a sativa but finished alot earlier. He told me the seed had always been in his village but was slightly different depending upon the village you went to to get your things. It was not a big yielder but it was uniquely scented and incredibly pretty frosting as the plant completed it cycle.

Hope that helps a little...all the best Sb

^ shanti on the ww dad:http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/black-wid...k-widow-2.html

Really my Brazilan friend did not give it a name other than The One...his name to refer to it. So that is hopefully information to curb your inquisitiveness

^shanti on the ww mom:http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/black-wid...-sativa-3.html
^if this is true then this is a landmark discovery.
smile.gif

S

scai

That Cohiba is very elusive, sought after and could find only few threads or descriptions.
I wish that some one could have some input to this.

Stash

Hey everyone I have some info on the Cohiba. For a many years I was part of a group of breeder growers seed traders. It was an invite only secret group of people that became like brothers and sisters over time. One of the members Castro Man (pin name) was from some where in South America (I am no longer sure just where) had a package wash up on the ocean shore with a container of seeds in it. Castro Man grew out these seeds to find that they produced some very fine bud. Castro Man named the strain Cohiba after the fine Cuban cigar. Castro Man gave some of these seeds out to some of our members. Castro Man went on to another grow with these seeds and this time he did a great job at selective breeding No Cross Breeding or mixing of strains. This time he renamed the seeds New Cohiba. Castro Man gave a large amount of these seeds to us members. Our group is also responsable for discovering using CS to reverse sex in female plants, I am the one that ran the first CS testing. Dam I miss the good old days. Stash

Stash

I just thought of something. These seeds must of came from our group. The full name of Blue Mountain Jamaica 85, I also still have about 50 of these seeds in my stash box. These are all very rare strains and only a few people have them and for someone else to also have both of these strains tells me something. Thanks, Stash

idiit

Veteran
^ thanks for the post stash. was the community you belonged to called "the collective vibe"?

according to my research on cohiba there are two cohibas. castroman had what was called a three way hybrid of three different cohibas; paraguay, brazil, colombian.

brazilizn seed company ( bsc) had what luiz called the paraguay cohiba. i have one pure cohiba male from bsc.

i only got one seed to germinate and it is a non hermie male. i have clones of this male and cohiba pollen in a pollen jar in the freezer. i chose a white widow female to cross into cohiba for cohiba bx's. one reason is that the ww has indica profile leaf which makes it easier to select for the narrower sativa profile leaf in ww/cohiba dominate females to bx cohiba back into. the second reason i chose ww is that cohiba might possible be " THE ONE" strain from the brazilian grower that shantibaba got the female mom pheno from that he crossed into the indian male for his ww creation.

i've made the ww/cohiba seeds and am running several now for a few ww/cohiba dominate females. i an interested in the frost comparison between ww/cohiba females and the breeder mom ww female to see if cohiba is indeed the frost monster i hope she is. i am bx'ing cohiba pollen back into selected ww/cohiba females to try to get seed stock where i can easily find cohiba dom females to mate with my cohiba male.

if cohiba is a frost monster then i have a valuable frosty landrace strain for hybrid work in the future.

Stash

idiit, the group moved sites a few times and changed names each time. I don't remember ever being called "the collective vibe". At one point some of our members took on a breeding project with 3 sets of seeds, all different but all Panama Red. This mini group was called CBC or Cannabis Breeding Collective. The finale product was given out to the members. I still have about 40 of these purple red seeds in my stash box. I'll have to get back to you when I have more time but I am doing germ test on the New Cohiba seeds. I am getting older and so are my seeds, they need to be put to good use soon before they go bad. Later, Stash

S

scai

Jamaican Blue Mountain? Isn't that what Cannabiogen was offering just short time ago.
Missed that, damn!

idiit

Veteran
^ i believe it was mustafunk that has recently made some great posts on spanish growers/collectives. if i recall correctly he stated that ace seeds started as a seed collective. so it is possible that cbg and ace might have either direct or indirect connections with the jamacian blue mountain and the cohiba from castroman. always interesting to get the background history on stuff.

i've got two cohiba dom looking ww/cohiba females just put into 12/12 for some cohiba pollen bx's.
the cohiba has a typical sat profile and my ww looks indica dom profile. the cohiba fan leaves off the mature clone ( culled unfortunately) were quite potent for fan leaves. i've got enough cohiba pollen soaked qtips in the pollen freezer jar to do a few more bx's.

C

charlie garcia

idiit, the group moved sites a few times and changed names each time. I don't remember ever being called "the collective vibe". At one point some of our members took on a breeding project with 3 sets of seeds, all different but all Panama Red. This mini group was called CBC or Cannabis Breeding Collective. The finale product was given out to the members. I still have about 40 of these purple red seeds in my stash box. I'll have to get back to you when I have more time but I am doing germ test on the New Cohiba seeds. I am getting older and so are my seeds, they need to be put to good use soon before they go bad. Later, Stash

Hi Stash, how are you sir. Wish life is treating you well

Collective Vibes was last group effort now closed.

During CBC I took on the breeding panama task :) Used a F1 between called "old panama" and Panama2000 "red hair" seeds sent by Greengrocer ;) Crossed the F2 with 3 Panama Reds males from LMN here in Spain and inbred longer giving as result the Panama hybrid offered by ACE Seeds and through my own CBG now too

I remember a Cohiba from Castroman in Cuba and info written above is correct, I think they were 3 sativas. Never got to know that but alll who sampled talked good about it

The Jamaican BM was shared by me with all members who wished as we used to share each other.
Miss those great people too! :)
best
kaiki

Stash

Charlie, It's very good to hear from you my good friend. It's been a long time and I miss our on line family. We were good together and I really miss everyone. I know you were working with Ace and Cannabiogen Seeds. I've read on another site that you were working on a strain with really good purple buds, I think I received some of the unworked seeds but mine only turn purple in the older plants. Charlie, if you need some of the Cohiba seeds just PM me and I will send most of them to you. I have been breeding my seed stock one strain at a time to keep them pure and making lots of seeds. I've got about 700 Lemon Thai f-3's, 400 or 500 Bubba Kush F-2's, I got my F1's Bubba's from our good friend Katsu BlueBird so they are good true lines. I am now harvesting a few hundred Sweet Tooth 3 F-2's. I have a lot of old strains and more than I can bring back by myself, so I would be more than happy to send you the Cohiba if you want them. I still have those Panama Red seeds, just how good are they if you remember? Also do you have any info on the Blue Mountain Jamaica 85 strain. I remember a time when I could give someone some buds and they would be shocked about how good it was but it seems now days everyone one has great buds all the the time. I wish that I could still shock people, I loved doing it.
Talk later, Stash

Stash

I have an account at Mr Nice Forums (Stash) also where I can be messaged at. I don't have the 50 post that I need to be able to use the messages here. I have only 11 post in 9 years. I'm a much better lurker than a poster. Later, Stash

C

charlie garcia

hola Stash

Today everyone turned very competitive it seems.

Great job on those, ill be glad and happy to explore some Cohiba next season ;) Hope Castroman and all are well, miss their adknowledge, experiences, stories and good vibes.

Panama took me long due lovely phenos coming out all the time. I had really fun working those 3 panamanians but never had a pure panama red female properly said, just the initial F1 or the 3 Pan Red males. Remember females had a health issued, soo weak and couldnt grow properly.

Ill get in touch with you then
cuidate-take care
kaiki

Last edited:

Castroman

Hello Stash, Charlie and all, Castro here. Wow, big emotion coming to me right now. Would love to get back in touch with all of the great folks of the old Seed Swap Club / TCB Design / CW / HS those were the times man, a real fellowship instead of this mad rush for green gold. So please if any of you guys (Huesos, Roz, OJD, Marquise, Alaska, North, CTTG, Lady J, and my memory fails me, all the rest) read this, and I truly hope you do, sound off on this thread. Would love to hear from you!

Last edited:

Stash

Castroman, I am so happy to see you. Most of us are still together and I just let everyone know that you are over here. Everyone should be posting soon. It is just so good to see you. You just made alot of old members very very happy.
Very good to see you Charlie, it's getting to be like old times. Later, Stash

Idiit, thanks for the heads up, you've helped to get alot of old friends back together.

ctg

Veteran
Hello castroman been forever since we have heard from you my friend! Loved all you sent me Brazilian beauty was a fav of mine.. I still have a cross of the cohiba that wesos did.. I look forward to running them.. Hope things are well with you and yours! -ctg-