What's new

How to stunt growth?

quitelost

Don't know if this is the right place for this thread? I have 9 plants Veging under 250w 4 with female preflowers and 5 with male preflowers. Those with the male preflowers are taking up too much space but I want to save them and flower them out for polen, what should I do?

I've been thinking of removing the males from the tent doing a lot of pruning and putting them under 50-80w cfl but I'm not sure if this will sustain them for a few weeks? Should I just prune them tie them down more(already lsted) and train the females to overshadow them?

Thanks in advance,

ql

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Cut them back...just leave the growing shoots at the nodes. You can totally keep males under wraps this way. As male flowers develop pick them off until your ready for him.

Granger2

Veteran
Gascanistan's got it, but your other strategy would work too, with pruning.You could also increase day length and put them back into veg. Good luck. -granger

B

BlueJayWay

Take a cut of the males, and toss the big ones, if they ever get too unmanageable or unhealthy due to being root bound or whatever ya know.

quitelost

Gascanistan and Granger2 thanks for your input but you seem to be confused as to my question, the plants are still in veg. This is a strain that shows preflowers early and I seem to have identified the sex I just want to keep the males under control and out of the way until flowering. Do you all think that 50-80 watts cfl is enough to keep 5 plants in 3 liter containers in good health for some weeks while I veg-out the females under HID or should I just cut back the males and train them a lot. I'm leaning towards the cfl route but I worry about stressing the plants with such low wattage. Maybe someone else has a better idea?

ql

I don't wanna hijack your thread quitelost but I had a somewhat similar question, say you wanted to keep a plant for a long time without taking much space would you be able to keep it growing in a Dixie cup and when the roots get all root bound and outgrow the cup would you be able to trim like an inch and a half from soil and roots and keep repotting into a Dixie cup?

whodare

Veteran
Defoliate heavily it if you want to stunt it, let it come back then do it again, and keep it under low light...

B

BlueJayWay

Thats how I keep most moms, but in a 2 gal paint bucket, container is irrelevant, but I think you would have trouble in something as small as a Dixie cup.

I take the whole thing out of the bucket, cut off, with a big kitchen knife, the bottom and side couple inches and repot with fresh soil, never seems to bother them. And do this over and over again every few months, or whatever. I do replace moms with a fresh cut from it, every now and then. :D

Basically how it's described in the "bonsai mums" thread - I think....

quitelost

Thanks for your help everyone. I've defoliated and topped three that from preflowers I'm pretty sure are males and put them under 55watt cfl.

To OrganicLearner and anyone else with questions about stunting growth feel free to post questions in this thread.

best,

ql

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some good suggestions already....

alternatively you could flower them now under the cfl's and collect the pollen.

if you dry it in a container with dessicant or rice for a day or two and then freeze it, it will easily keep for a year or so.

once the pollen sacs have formed you can even cut branches and keep in a glass of water on the windowsill and collect the pollen when it drops... much easier than keeping the plants alive

VG

B

BasementGrower

id say take clones of ur males and flower them out later.. or.. make a seed box.. and flower under cfls .. i have a seed box thats 4x4x3 and i use 6 cfls and a 2 foot floro.. and ive had 20 clones in 1 gal bags.. with a male. and they all flowered out fine.. a little airier then under my hps.. but honestly.. i was stunned to see how they developed.. i could deff see why some people with small spaces use cfls.

quitelost

Left them under 50 watt clf topped, left them in 3 liter pots and lsted, later 70-95 watt cfl and now I have pollen everywhere.

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Root pruning works awesome for me. When I root prune my bonzi mommas they dont produce new growth for about 10-12 days.

Latest posts

Latest posts