Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > My DIY LED grow light

Thread Title Search    
Buy Cannabis Seeds at Seed Boutique
 My DIY LED grow light Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
vukman

vukman has disabled reputation
My DIY LED grow light

Hello Everyone:

First off, thank you for all the kind words of support and advice you've all given me. I hope it isn't lost within my own insane way of doing things.

I am not that good a keeping solid records and picture taking but I'll try my best to fill in all the steps and answer any questions which might arise.........okay...here we go.

I've been talking about and planning on making an LED grow light for some time and I've finally gotten all the parts and pieces together and I started building today, Saturday, November, 03/12. I am in no hurry nor am I a perfectionist either. I don't have the skills to be a perfectionist even if I wanted to be one... I have to add that in there..

I think it's in the thread called "Building a Home Made LED" which is where a lot of the beginning images are such as the aluminium plates which were purchased and also the layout is there as well. As I said, I am more than willing to answer and and all questions as to what materials, tools, sizes..etc..etc.. so if I skip any steps, just ask.

I took the Al. plates and secured them together, then proceeded to drill 6 holes along the outside. 3/16 dia. They are for the threaded rod which will hold the plates together and yet spaced apart for cooling.

*****I've disabled Reputation, please give it to someone who is collecting it. That isn't why I'm here.*****

Okay okay....a few people were requesting this info:

2 Satellites and a Kush LED grow

My DIY LED 230W Panel

All My Best Always
vukman
vukman is offline   Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
vukman

After that step, I took the Al 'U' channel and laid it out evenly and marked it off so I knew where to attach it.

Since the back of the channel was rough, I took a file and then some sandpaper with a block as a solid backer and cleaned the backs of the 'U' channel so it was clean and smooth.

I had mentioned in that other thread that I would be using double sided thermally conductive tape which was the next step but left the 'backing' on one side until I was ready to attach it.

I took each channel, removed the backing off the tape, placed it onto the Al. plate and proceeded to drill through the channel and plate for rivets making sure that the rivets would not impact any LED chips where they would be placed later on according to the layout.

*****I've disabled Reputation, please give it to someone who is collecting it. That isn't why I'm here.*****

My DIY LED 230W Panel

All My Best Always
vukman

Old 11-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
vukman

The next images will show the channels attached and riveted onto the plate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was all the work that got done today because I was still doing some material shopping such as threaded rod and nuts and also did not have a rivet gun either....

The project will continue tomorrow and hopefully I'll be onto the soldering of chips......

As you can see by the second image here and as I mentioned, not a perfectionist. The rivets are not all perfectly lined up but as long as they do not interfere with the LEDs, I don't really care....

Thank you and more tomorrow........:-)

My DIY LED 230W Panel

All My Best Always
vukman

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
S-V-K

S-V-K is on a distinguished road
Nice job so far :-)
I love DIY builds so keep them photos coming !!! :-)
S-V-K is offline   Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Baino

Baino will become famous soon enough
i will follow your thread.
Baino is offline   Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
hempfield
Addicted LED grower

hempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivor
A little late but 100% subbed. Thank you for sharing your work with us !

L.E. How do you intend to keep the LEDs in place ? With 2mm bolts ? Well my friend, you will have some work to do, but I suggest you to try inserting the bolts without pre-threading the Al sheet (it's very easy to screw such bolt). As for the threaded rod, I think is cheaper to use long bolts (I used 5-6cm long for my led pannel).

What distance do you intend to have between the front and the back Al. sheet ? How do you plan to cut the large hole for the fans ? Do you plan to install the fan(s) between the two Al. sheets or outside, on top of the back sheet ?

"WARNING: Although using marijuana may not be addictive, growing it is."

Defoliation Experiment on NYCD
DWC 300W DIY LED SCROG Grow: AK47 and Mazar

"The obscenity of hunting down low-level cannabis users to protect them is beyond absurd" - David Nutt

Last edited by hempfield; 11-04-2012 at 08:43 PM..
hempfield is offline   Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
vukman

Hi Everyone:

Thank you again and always for your continued interest and support. You have no idea how much it means.........

Okay, so here we are on day two of the build which is Sunder Nov.,04/12.

I started work today on the top piece of the light. I first drilled out and chamfered four holes for the switches which I decided to use the toggle switches you see pictured.

Then I took a fan which is the 120mm variety and is 12V and 0.15A. It pushes 48cfm if I remember correctly. The work was done at my father's place and I tossed the box. Also, there is only one pictured because there was only one in stock where I bought it. It is a chain of stores so I'll go to another location and grab another one.

I marked out the diameter and took a 1/2 drill and drilled around the opening. When the drilling was done, I took some aviation/tin snips and cut out the rest of the hole..As I mentioned, I am not a perfectionist and this is just a test light so I was not all that worried about looks and aesthetics this time around.. I know it looks like shit but it will do the job and that's all I care about with this one.

My DIY LED 230W Panel

All My Best Always
vukman

Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
vukman

I had three 12" lengths of 3/16 threaded rod which I cut to 5" pieces and those are being used for the 'spacers' between the two plates.

On the top plate, I removed the protective film and with the cut off pieces from the threaded rod, I attached the fan in place. I also used the thermal tape to attach the terminal block in the middle of the plate.

I've also drilled holes throughout the top and bottom plates for pulling wires through as well.

That is all that has been done up until now.. As you can see, I've been putting off the soldering but alas, I can't put it off any longer.

To answer your questions, I will be using the double sided thermal tape to attach the LED chips and it has a holding temperature up to 120 C so the lights will fry way before the tape lets go. I think the rest of the questions have been answered about the fans and spacing although the spacing can always change if it needs to be but I think I've got a good space between the plates for now. Only time will tell if it really is good enough to keep the temperatures down..

Again, as always, thank you all for following and commenting as well...

Thank you

My DIY LED 230W Panel

All My Best Always
vukman

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Hammerhead
Banned

Hammerhead will become famous soon enough
You can use conductive glue no soldering needed. I use it with low voltage stuff. Soldering can burn up the device before you even use it. When I was making my door panels I used the glue to attach wires to the tweeters..
Hammerhead is offline   Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
hempfield
Addicted LED grower

hempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivorhempfield is a survivor
Well done , my friend !

It look's awesome, trust me. I like what I see

I notice that you want the fans to blow air over the heatsink and not to suck it from the inside. It is more efficient for this kind of fans to pull the air rather than to push it, the air flow is smoother and more even over the components.

I don't know if conductive glue it's designed to work on high current , like the LEDs are supposed to do. 700mA of DC can cause a lot of heat if the resistance of the bond it's to high. I never use it, it may be great but I believe that and old school solder shiny point assure a good conductivity and increase the safety of the circuit, especially on long term usage.

"WARNING: Although using marijuana may not be addictive, growing it is."

Defoliation Experiment on NYCD
DWC 300W DIY LED SCROG Grow: AK47 and Mazar

"The obscenity of hunting down low-level cannabis users to protect them is beyond absurd" - David Nutt
hempfield is offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Hammerhead
Banned

Hammerhead will become famous soon enough
try it you might change your mind..I did not think it would work well myself until I tried some.The connection weather you solder or glue should not be hot. The only time I felt hot wires was when they where undersized...It's typically only good for low voltage application's. There are specialty glues that you can get like this one..

Useful Temperature Range -55 to 200 ºC

http://www.creativematerials.com/pro...FQ6CQgodOiMABw

Or this one

http://www.pemro.com/productDetails....mCode=LOC-1117

Last edited by Hammerhead; 11-04-2012 at 11:59 PM..
Hammerhead is offline   Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Husky Jackal
Very Neat Monster

Husky Jackal is a survivorHusky Jackal is a survivorHusky Jackal is a survivorHusky Jackal is a survivorHusky Jackal is a survivorHusky Jackal is a survivorHusky Jackal is a survivorHusky Jackal is a survivorHusky Jackal is a survivorHusky Jackal is a survivorHusky Jackal is a survivor
Good luck with your project !
One question though; Aren't you satisfied with your other LED lights or there's another reason you're building this ?
Peace, HJ.

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus"-Mark Twain
Husky Jackal is offline   Quote

Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
Keep goin

Keep goin has a spectacular aura aboutKeep goin has a spectacular aura about
Subbed Vukman...looking good, can't wait to see it up and running.

I'm starting to think DIY is the way to go!! Even though I'm a bit intimidated, but looking into solderless kits to ease into it.

Good Luck...I'm watching with great interest
Keep goin is offline   Quote

Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
Phychotron

Phychotron is a splendid one to beholdPhychotron is a splendid one to beholdPhychotron is a splendid one to beholdPhychotron is a splendid one to beholdPhychotron is a splendid one to beholdPhychotron is a splendid one to beholdPhychotron is a splendid one to behold
looking good so far. I would put some tape over those rough holes to prevent any injuries.

My latest Grapegod growlog (fall 2014)
Phychotron is offline   Quote

Old 11-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #15
DevilWeedSeeds
Private Breeder

DevilWeedSeeds has much to be proud ofDevilWeedSeeds has much to be proud ofDevilWeedSeeds has much to be proud ofDevilWeedSeeds has much to be proud ofDevilWeedSeeds has much to be proud ofDevilWeedSeeds has much to be proud ofDevilWeedSeeds has much to be proud ofDevilWeedSeeds has much to be proud ofDevilWeedSeeds has much to be proud of
Looking good so far, can't wait to see some picture once you get the LED lights installed.
DevilWeedSeeds is offline   Quote