What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to get DENSE flowers?

catalyte

Veteran
I know this is a common question but i figured i would post in the Vertical forum cause thats the style of growing i use currently....

Lets just say i've been at it for about a decade indoors and had my fair share of ups and downs but i have reached a point where DENSITY is what it seems i'm lacking come harvest. Strains are super important no doubt, so maybe starting with less than ideal pheno's has been limiting me but other than that (i'm on a pheno hunt atm) i'm looking for suggestions in what works for getting dense flowers. :thinking:

unspoken

I don't mean this like you HAVE to use it to get dense flowers, but a pk booster always seems to work for me. Also plenty of light and like you said a strain/pheno that forms dense buds.

TB Gardens

Veteran
Ya I really think it comes down to genetics first (as u said) but also dialing in the feeding schedules. I know i had that prob with ecsd, just wasn't ever getting plump or dense as it should've been. From reading rez's recipe it really seems like strains have ideal windows for feeding/boosters.

So ya, strain then feeding I'd say.

catalyte

Veteran
thanks for the input guys... going to try and dial in my environment and nutes more...

all stuff i know but need to be reminded by experienced heads! :yes:

mack 10

Veteran
The dark period will have a massive effect on your buds densness.(surprisingly) it must be pitch black,so you cannot see your hand infront of youre face.and uninterrupted darkness!, no green lights ,nothing.
if you keep your daytime temps lower than your night time temps, your plant will grow much tighter internodes.
if you just do tbose 2 things an i bet you get better,bigger stankyass buds.;

Most people overlook the basic's,including myself. when you see those new, all singing, all dancing boosters.lol. you get seduced and really to heavilly on these produts.
mack

Defoliation will open up the canopy allow more light to hit more buds making everything denser and bigger do it after stretch and again at 45 day's.

growhi

imo there is no magic one can use to make buds dense !

its simply the right pheno , as much light as possible , and good air circulation

even snake oils and boosters will not make airy buds dense ............. good luck

joe guy

The boosters work best atleast half way thru ur flower cycle i usualy start in the middle of week 4 of a 8 week strain. Start with a bloom booster then add a pk booster the last 2 weeks b4 the flush. I was super impressed this last 2 rounds of my perpetual and 3 is lookin frostier than the first 2 and just as dense.. I swear u could break a window with these golf balls... But like u said genes genes genes is the major role... Hope u find a good pheno on ur hunt...good luck

joe guy

Oh yeh and the guy at the shop says 100 watts per plant... Not sure but im gettn rocks now.. Prob catch some greif for sugesting the bloom boost and pk boost but thats whats workin for me...

There IS something you can do to get the most hardest nugs.. I am returning to IC Mag after a long time away, I was an OG member long ago!. :) ok.. while waiting to post pics on my previous main account, I am currently waiting for admin approval, I can offer advice.

I purchased a 500w LED lamp and tested it. I have plenty of pictures but those will be soon to come. For the most part, limiting the light output to almost all PAR watts will cause the flowers to be rock-hard. I am testing a 1000w hps on a light mover with DWC and during the last couple of weeks, I will switch to 500w x2 LED (which is like 700w actual)..

Last grow, I did not use a light mover and used a stationary 600w hps, and a stationary 500w BlackStar LED. the LED buds were smaller but much more dense. Need more testing..

BldSwtTrs

STRAIN
STRAIN
STRAIN
STRAIN
STRAIN

That being said you CAN add some weight with a few methods already mentioned.
I KNOW I have added significant weight by using co2 and adding MOAB/Hammerhead to my regiment. Still though I wouldn't say density was effected so much as bud size.

DrFever

Veteran
Yo Mr clean cut i realize you grow vert style you really need intense lighting , humidity higher through out Veg and flower and more P and K in flower period you can't let plants stretch to much so super cropping all shoots up till 10 th day in flower will help with buds joining up the real secret to dense buds is as tight as internodeing you can get
also a trick which not to many growers know is spraying plants / buds weekly with water a light mist , And starting last 3 weeks to harvest foilage spray Zinc , and iron 0.010 zinc 0.010 iron you need good fans and air movement.
You will be amazed at the outcome as well as the weight in the bud you don;t lose a shit load in the drying process here is a freshly trimmed bud from keeping humidity through out flower 60 - 70 and weekly water misting plants and buds , also foilage sprayed Zinc and iron 2 times last 3 weeks in flowering stage them buds litterally stay the same dryed

growhi

a fast and easy way of finding a dense pheno is 12/12 from seed , i start 20 or 30 seeds each grow, i start them at the same time my clones go on 12/12 , maybe 5 to 7 seeds per 10 litre pot put in the corner of the room/tent, and by the end of the grow you can select for resin , smell and bud density , the plants with the densest flowers will clearly stand out, the seed plants are only maybe 6 weeks into flower by the end of the 9 weeks and are perfect for reveg , never had a fail reveging useing the quick select system , revegs only really become a problem when the plant is fully flowered

supermanlives

Veteran
dont spray iron if using magnets lol i never saw any benefit from extra foliar iron . i tried spray and grow and it didnt do shit. and i dont spray my plants in flower if i can help it .

D

DaveTheNewbie

if your comparing what you grow to something you bought commercially theres another option.
they might have used PGRs to keep thier plant height low, and this WILL make MUCH more dense nugs.
most people here will tell you not to use them, theres many health scare issues with them, and they slightly lower the THC values of a bud.
but they also increase harvests a bit too.