What's new

We need to identify these, ASAP! (plz)

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Woke up today from a root aphid nightmare. Was fun running into the room realizing it was a nightmare. Wooh, close one, or was it?

In the midst of my tripping out I did find something.

Tiny 1 mm black larvae looking Caterpillar bug thing.

On the roots, rooted through, at the bottom of my rockwool cubes there are tiny black bugs that look like caterpillars but are only 1 millimeter long and they are pure black. They hide from the light and the roots were white still with them on them.

Through research I found a post on an orchid forum about these bugs but the diagnosis of Thrips is wrong. Thrips live on the foliage, not the roots. From everything I've learned about them.

Please look at the photos in the link for identification of what I have on my plants.
http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/or...4267-tiny-linear-black-bugs-on-root-tips.html

I am really baffled as to what those are. No apparent matches trough searches.

Need to know if those are good or bad bugs, and if bad, treatment. Of course the hydro stores around here are not open on sundays.

Stealing this passage from the forum link above because this is exactly my case, just not orchids.

"I think they are Fungal Gnats Pupae, but I read that they are suppose to be white initially, and then turn black. However, I do not see any white bugs, nor do I notice any Fungal Gnats flying around. I don't seem to see the larvae either. Even after an exhaustive literary search and Google'ing, I have come up empty handed. "

My room is bug free other than these things, and I haven't seen them on all my plants, just the bigger ones in HUGOs that are rooted to the bottom and have roots on the bottom of the cubes.

I'm thinking these are gnats. But If there is something identical and worse, I'd like to learn.

Only on roots, hide from light, look black but with closer inspection have a grey hue to the body and are translucent(Clear), not a black head, but darker.

Attached pictures of one on a root, on my latest plant to root through the HUGO. And of pictures from the forum link above, showing exactly what the bugs I have look like.

Thanks everyone!

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I doubt my white roots have fungi and molds growing on them.

But hey, hopefully they are something good.

Just found what looks like a mite, crawling around on the bottom of one my plants, tan, round with legs, clear body.

I'm fucking NUKING this room. who cares what this shit is anymore. I'm not taking chances or waiting for them to bulk up.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My rootzones are going to be suffering.

I'm gong to home depot to buy Organocide, to use as a soak.

Can I add a drop of dish soap to my foliar spray with nutrients, and have that as a leaf cleaner / pest repellent, or does the dish soap and water spray only work alone?

Thanks!

medicalmj

Veteran
My rootzones are going to be suffering.

I'm gong to home depot to buy Organocide, to use as a soak.

Can I add a drop of dish soap to my foliar spray with nutrients, and have that as a leaf cleaner / pest repellent, or does the dish soap and water spray only work alone?

Thanks!

Unless you have a bulb mite, HIGHLY unlikely, you have one of the 1200 species of Oribatid mites, AKA soil mites. They eat bacteria and fungus. They are supposed to be in your soil! If you are having issues w root rot, they may simply be eating the bad bacteria and fungus present. They're most likely not eating/damaging roots. I say only say this because I have spent countless hours watching them feed under a scope.

Dont drench. If any thing get benificial nematodes...