What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MOBY DICK?

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Another thing I should mention, in my experience so far, and my friends experience, who's on round 3 of this strain, is that it's a very sensitive plant, and doesn't need the regular amount of nutrients that other plants need. It's very sensitive to nitrogen, and it's easy to burn it by giving it a standard dose. In veg, it practically grows itself. I'd go easy on the flowering nutrients though at least until you're familiar with it's needs.

B

BasementGrower

i have got 2 seeds of this . freebies.. goin to be popping bunch of seeds in about 1 month.. just gotta let the flower room get far enough ahead were i can plant the seeds.. veg.. toss str8 to flower right wen the room is harvested. trying to keep as many plants flower as i can.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Another thing I should mention, in my experience so far, and my friends experience, who's on round 3 of this strain, is that it's a very sensitive plant, and doesn't need the regular amount of nutrients that other plants need. It's very sensitive to nitrogen, and it's easy to burn it by giving it a standard dose. In veg, it practically grows itself. I'd go easy on the flowering nutrients though at least until you're familiar with it's needs.
Funny you should say this as mine was very greedy with the nutes. I grow mainly in coco so nute everytime. Even then I had to ramp up my nute mix with extra additives, esp N but P and K as well later in flower. The fat buds really make it worthwhile though.

Been a joy to grow so far. The main thing I'd change is to add molasses to the water throughout the grow so buffer in more Ca,Mg to the plants diet and get those microbes working.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I got a chance to smoke some more Moby Dick buds today, from the same cutting that I have, and here's my report.

You take a hit, and the first thing you notice is the taste, which is predominately on the exhale. On the inhale, the smoke is non-expansive, but you still feel it, almost "sharp", but its very mild and smooth, but not to the point where you don't even feel like youre getting a hit, like some really smooth strains. Anyway, like I said, the flavor, on the pheno that I have, is like sugary/perfumy soap, but very profound. I've encounted this flavor, or a similar flavor in a lot of sativa hybrids, sweet tooth comes to mind, except with moby dick, it's just way more profound, it's not a hint, and it lasts until the final hit.

As for effects, with me personally, contrary to what some have said, it's not an instant right away hit, yet i've only smoked it out of bowls and pipes, so I'm not sure how a bong would be. It's definately not a creeper though. After taking about 3 hits within the minute, I started to feel it come on. So, within about a minute I'd say. The first effect I noticed was a very cerebral, "trippy" effect, almost feels like youre in a new world, just an enhanced and enchanted version of reality. Definately some perception distortion, it makes me feel like I'm in my own zone, where the only thing that matters is whats infront of me. It's pretty euphoric, at least it was for me, because the taste, along with the great initial effects just would make any stoner happy. Soon after, like, around the 5-10 minute mark, it made me feel really comfortable and content, but not in a lethargic, narcotic, or indica way. It was great for conversation, and playing music. Afterwards, my friend played violin while I played guitar, and he was teaching me a song, and normally I can catch on right away, but I had to play it a few times before I got the hang of it, so I wouldn't suggest it if you're trying to study or learn something, I mean, you'll eventually get it, it just takes longer than it would sober or with a different strain. You definately zone out and lose track of time though. About an hour afterwards, after you zone out and get totally involved in whatever you're doing, I noticed I felt extremely comfortable, and sluggish, but in a good way, not in an overbearing way. I wasn't tired at all, but I noted that if I was in my bed, and closed my eyes, I could easily fall asleep right away.

This comfortable state probably lasted an hour, and then I decided to smoke more, which completely refreshed the high. I notice it makes my heart rate speed up, but without the paranoia or uncomfortable feelings typically associated with heart racing strains. You really don't notice unless you're looking for it. I feel as if it's raised my blood pressure slightly, because with each beat of my heart, I feel the blood flowing through all my extremeties. While some strains can be felt "behind the eyes", for me, this strain is felt "behind my ears" or how it would feel if you had a pair of headphones on. Your eyes feel relaxed, but it's not a heavy predominate feeling like most indica dominant hybrids.

I feel it would be great for depression relief/parties/chilling with friends/playing music/working (if you have a create profession), waking and baking, virtually an all day long strain. It would easily help with sleep, but I think it would be best to smoke it an hour before bed, rather than right before bed, because at first the effects are more cerebral, and inspirational, whereas it later evolves into a more indica relaxing effect.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Does anyone know what haze was used? Through my research I've noticed that Dinafem uses a "JYD Haze" in a lot of their haze varieties, which is supposedly a choice SSH cut from the netherlands. I'm wondering if that's what they used for Moby Dick.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Does anyone know what haze was used?

I'm sorry to break your heart but the so called Moby Dick is just a cross between a selected spanish cut of a very productive and indica leaning Jack Herer and another spanish selected cut of White Widow... both are well known cuts in Spain and easy to exchange for free and not even selected by them.

They just reverted the WW and pollinated the other and... voilá! There you go your "Haze" x WW, easily made by anyone at home with selected cuts and some STS. Even a knock off from El Niño GH would be more Haze that that one! Dinafem guys admited it themselves in their spanish customer service forum after many people putting them on doubt, so forget about all the bullshit in their catalogues about haze and so on.

Royal Haze is just another Jack Herer cut S1 as most of their strains like Critical for example. There isn't any proper breeding work either done by them... only the newbies buy Dinafem in Spain because they love their free great cataloges and posters and they always have the biggest stands in the cannabis fairs LOL, but most growers already know there are just pirates, like most of all other spanish "seed vendors" and many other reputed international ones too! The sad thing is that they are getting more rich than other real spanish breeders who really deserve the credit with all this.

Anyway, the plants for sure are nice, but it's understandable... they were made with great cuts so for sure some plants will be outstanding!!

Peace guys! :tiphat:

HA i got to agree with Mustafunk moby dick and all the dinafem hazes are based on the late 90s spanish jack herar cut I dont know why they dont just tell the truth that jack cut is top shelf weed.I could be wrong but I think years ago even Charlie garcia crossed that cut to his panama males for a limited edition panama jack seed release.I am not knocking dinafem moby dick is some tasty weed I have tried it but I dont think much of there marketing.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Yeah, that's a shame that it's misleading information, but like you said, the cuts must be nice as fuck, because it's nothing like any widow or jack herer I've had before. Very reminiscent of uptown haze/piff as far as taste.

Thanks for clearing that up though and answering my question. By any chance do you have a link to their spanish forum? I speak spanish.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Here are some pictures of my Moby Dick clones about 1 1/2 weeks of 12/12. Sorry for such shitty image quality, I'll try to get some better shots once things start coming along. These were just with my cell phone camera. Anyway, as I was saying, in both pictures, you can predominately only see my largest and oldest one. I recieved it when it was about 10 days old after rooting, and I vegged it for another two weeks. About halfway through that, I got two more clones, which were about half the size of my first one, and about a week behind. In the second picture, you can see how I've LST'd the oldest one. The other ones are LSTd as well, just not as extreme since they don't have as many branches yet.

This clone flowers for about 9 1/2-10 weeks. As you can see, it has pretty thin leaves. From what I've heard about the different phenos, I definately have the sweet, incency pheno. It's amazing. It's one of my favorite strains I've smoked in my life. I love the taste, the high, the smell, the appearance, and I love getting to grow it now.

It's just starting to throw out pistils now. Around week 3-4 of flowering is when it starts getting covered everywhere in little "cotton buds" and around week 6 is when they start to bulk up and look like frosty golfballs everywhere. From then on, they just keep getting bigger, denser, frostier, and more fragrant. Most people I know cut it at 8 weeks, but I think that's just because of their lack of knowledge. It's still great at 8 weeks, but it gets better if you let it go the entire 9-10.

btw, they're flowering under a 250w HPS, and I'm using Bio Bizz Bio Bloom starting at 1/4 strength and working up, and halfway through, suplimenting with Top Max.

Attachments

• 20121205232731.jpg
    20121205232731.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20121205232847.jpg
    20121205232847.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 11

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
end of week 9 flower. Now flushing.

Attachments

• Dec 7 001.jpg
    Dec 7 001.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 11
  • Dec 7 002.jpg
    Dec 7 002.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Dec 7 003.jpg
    Dec 7 003.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Dec 7 004.jpg
    Dec 7 004.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 14

sativa92

tetragrammaton.. nice smoke report, sounds delicous..

Mustafunk.. K++ for the info, that seems to be happening alot lately,I dont understand why the secrecy of the make up of strains..

Reg Dixon... nice!! looks damn good

everyone K++

tetragrammaton

Veteran
To back up what Mustafunk was saying, I was watching one of the Urban Grower videos, with Remo, from last years Spannabis. There was a short video called Jack Herer Bud, and he was at some seed companies stand, I'm assuming Dinafems, but nothing was said, and the guy was showing the Jack Herer bud, saying it's the mother of Moby Dick, and that they crossed White Widow with that specific Jack Herer cut.

Like you guys have said, and like I said, I don't agree with the misleading information, but giving them the benefit of the doubt, from what I understand, Jack Herer and SSH are the same combination of genetics, just with different parents, so perhaps they used a haze dominant Jack?

My specific pheno is hazy as fuck, as far as flavor, and high. I can't stress enough how much the incense pheno that I have reminds me of Uptown Haze/NYC Haze/Frankies/Piff. It reminds me enough of Frankies, that I have no desire or need to try to get that cutting. I'm 100% satisfied with my Moby Dick as a good represenation of all the things I love about NYC Haze.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Here are some pictures of my Moby Dick clones about 1 1/2 weeks of 12/12. Sorry for such shitty image quality, I'll try to get some better shots once things start coming along. These were just with my cell phone camera. Anyway, as I was saying, in both pictures, you can predominately only see my largest and oldest one. I recieved it when it was about 10 days old after rooting, and I vegged it for another two weeks. About halfway through that, I got two more clones, which were about half the size of my first one, and about a week behind. In the second picture, you can see how I've LST'd the oldest one. The other ones are LSTd as well, just not as extreme since they don't have as many branches yet.

This clone flowers for about 9 1/2-10 weeks. As you can see, it has pretty thin leaves. From what I've heard about the different phenos, I definately have the sweet, incency pheno. It's amazing. It's one of my favorite strains I've smoked in my life. I love the taste, the high, the smell, the appearance, and I love getting to grow it now.

It's just starting to throw out pistils now. Around week 3-4 of flowering is when it starts getting covered everywhere in little "cotton buds" and around week 6 is when they start to bulk up and look like frosty golfballs everywhere. From then on, they just keep getting bigger, denser, frostier, and more fragrant. Most people I know cut it at 8 weeks, but I think that's just because of their lack of knowledge. It's still great at 8 weeks, but it gets better if you let it go the entire 9-10.

btw, they're flowering under a 250w HPS, and I'm using Bio Bizz Bio Bloom starting at 1/4 strength and working up, and halfway through, suplimenting with Top Max.

My Moby Dick (Dinafem) never looked anything like this one. You must have more of a sativa leaning pheno.

Agree about leaving it the full 10 weeks. It has fattened up a lot in the last week. Had I chopped it at 8 weeks I'd have been missing out.

The smell is amazing. So sweet and good. Just about the best smell I've ever experienced. Going to re veg her after harvest for clones.

Will post a dry yield and then smoke report once she is finished curing.

Growing 12/12 from seed under CFL's so not expecting much but the plant seems to yield pretty well for its size. we will see.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Damn man, those plants look nice for just 12/12 from seed. And yeah, I was thinking the same thing. We definately have different phenos, yours definately looks more indica dominant. I noticed on some of your earlier pictures, you had some 9-fingered leaves. The most my Moby Dick produced was 7. I had one leaf that produced 8, just 7 with a small undeveloped 8th blade.

I definately know what you mean about the smell though. It's great. Keep up the great work, and when you can, definately get an HPS. I grew with CFLs for years, and honestly it's a world of difference, even if its around the same lumens as what you're using with CFLs.

Keep us posted with some dry bud shots, and I'll do the same as the weeks progress.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Last pic of the Moby Dick before chop. trying a re veg on it too. Have repotted down from 3 gallon pot to a 3 liter pot. Had to cut, shake and pull a lot of root mass. Amazing how the roots had spread all over this massive pot even though the plant staying under 30 inches.

Attachments

• Chop MD Dec 13 2012 015.jpg
    Chop MD Dec 13 2012 015.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Chop MD Dec 13 2012 012.jpg
    Chop MD Dec 13 2012 012.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Chop MD Dec 13 2012 010.jpg
    Chop MD Dec 13 2012 010.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 14
  • Chop MD Dec 13 2012 007.jpg
    Chop MD Dec 13 2012 007.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Chop MD Dec 13 2012 002.jpg
    Chop MD Dec 13 2012 002.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 16

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Nice man. Even though we've got different phenos, in my experience she does good with revegging. That's what my cuts are from actually. Mine are really starting to take off, they're sleeping now but I'll take some pics tomorrow.

I got a Dinafem freebie a couple years back. I was more impressed with high and yield as opposed to taste. It was very frosty and produced super dense buds. I grew mine outside @ 43n and it finished oct 15th. Def could have gone another week but mold started to form. It reminded me of the commercial jack herer bud that was around the new england area several years back. Makes sense if the lineage is Jack Herer and White Widow.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I took my clones outside the other day to get some pictures without interference from my hps. I believe they were at day 20 of 12/12 when these were taken. When I brought them back inside I LSTd them pretty extreme. Smell has changed from being coffee/skunkish to being straight diesel. Not like sour diesel or anything, but like being next to a diesel truck. I'm hoping this changes. The actual buds smell nice and sweet though when you smell them up close.

Attachments

• mobydick3.jpg
    mobydick3.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 18
  • mobydick2.jpg
    mobydick2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 16
  • mobydick1.jpg
    mobydick1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 18

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Dry weight report.

Dry weight report.

Finished drying, trimming and have put the harvest in Mason Jars for cure.

Blew it on the dry. The RH was too low and somehow I still managed to get a little mold on a few fatter buds. Had to throw them in the high quality trim bag.

Ended up with 93g of bud

20g of high quality bid/sugar leaf trim. (inc moldy buds)

85g late flower trim.

RH in the jars is 30-35% and the buds are a little crumbly. Not happy right now. Hope I can retrieve it on the cure or my hash bin will be very full!

Attachments

• MD bud 2.jpg
    MD bud 2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Moby Dick bud.jpg
    Moby Dick bud.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Stash!.jpg
    Stash!.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 14
  • MD in the jar..jpg
    MD in the jar..jpg