Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > MOBY DICK?

Thread Title Search    
Click for Weed Seed Shop
 MOBY DICK? Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
sativa92

sativa92 has a spectacular aura aboutsativa92 has a spectacular aura aboutsativa92 has a spectacular aura about
reg dixon..thanks for posting the pics. keep us updated on how they turn out. greatly app..

drynobbob...ive been smoking diesels, and chem d... it's hard to find stuff that compares.. how long did it take to finish?

Old 10-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
DryNobBob

the widow brings the haze down in time I think, 10.5 weeks. but it sure looks good in a bag.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #18
Reg Dixon

Reg Dixon is a splendid one to beholdReg Dixon is a splendid one to beholdReg Dixon is a splendid one to beholdReg Dixon is a splendid one to beholdReg Dixon is a splendid one to beholdReg Dixon is a splendid one to behold
Latest pics of my MD after 7 weeks of flower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 47 flower MD 004.jpg (89.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Day 47 flower MD 011.jpg (82.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Day 47 flower MD 008.jpg (104.6 KB, 105 views)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=292609
Reg Dixon is offline   Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
Reg Dixon

Reg Dixon is a splendid one to beholdReg Dixon is a splendid one to beholdReg Dixon is a splendid one to beholdReg Dixon is a splendid one to beholdReg Dixon is a splendid one to beholdReg Dixon is a splendid one to behold
MD update

More pics. Buds are fattening up nicely. Thinking about flush soon. Next week. Just how much should I flush through mainly coco 2.5 Gallon pot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (103.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (100.0 KB, 79 views)

Old 11-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #20
tetragrammaton

tetragrammaton is a jewel in the roughtetragrammaton is a jewel in the roughtetragrammaton is a jewel in the roughtetragrammaton is a jewel in the rough
I was recently gifted some cuttings of this strain, grown from Dinafem stock. I believe I have a sativa dominant pheno, based on the slender leaves.

I got to sample some of the buds from one of my friends last harvests, and I was blown away by the taste alone. It reminded me of piff/uptown haze/nyc haze/whatever you want to call it. That incensy, perfumy, hazey, almost soapy taste. As far as the smell of the dried buds, it smelled predominately skunky/coffeeish, but as it was ground up, thats when it became more fragrant.

The buds I sampled were more than likely some of the smaller lower buds, but even then, they had a pretty good structure. Not dense like a kush, but definately not airy or leafy like some sativa dominant strains.

I came here though, wondering if anyone knows of the lineage. We all know it's White Widow x Haze, and from what I've researched, most of Dinafems stock comes from Shantibaba. In the description of the strain, it says they crossed their best cuttings of white widow and haze, but I'm wondering what haze was used. Super Silver Haze? Amnesia Haze? Old Timers Haze? Anyone know?

This is definately a fragrant strain, especially in veg. It gives off a nice coffee/skunk smell, at a very young age.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #21
tetragrammaton

tetragrammaton is a jewel in the roughtetragrammaton is a jewel in the roughtetragrammaton is a jewel in the roughtetragrammaton is a jewel in the rough
Another thing I should mention, in my experience so far, and my friends experience, who's on round 3 of this strain, is that it's a very sensitive plant, and doesn't need the regular amount of nutrients that other plants need. It's very sensitive to nitrogen, and it's easy to burn it by giving it a standard dose. In veg, it practically grows itself. I'd go easy on the flowering nutrients though at least until you're familiar with it's needs.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
BasementGrower

i have got 2 seeds of this . freebies.. goin to be popping bunch of seeds in about 1 month.. just gotta let the flower room get far enough ahead were i can plant the seeds.. veg.. toss str8 to flower right wen the room is harvested. trying to keep as many plants flower as i can.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #23
Reg Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetragrammaton View Post
Another thing I should mention, in my experience so far, and my friends experience, who's on round 3 of this strain, is that it's a very sensitive plant, and doesn't need the regular amount of nutrients that other plants need. It's very sensitive to nitrogen, and it's easy to burn it by giving it a standard dose. In veg, it practically grows itself. I'd go easy on the flowering nutrients though at least until you're familiar with it's needs.
Funny you should say this as mine was very greedy with the nutes. I grow mainly in coco so nute everytime. Even then I had to ramp up my nute mix with extra additives, esp N but P and K as well later in flower. The fat buds really make it worthwhile though.

Been a joy to grow so far. The main thing I'd change is to add molasses to the water throughout the grow so buffer in more Ca,Mg to the plants diet and get those microbes working.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #24
tetragrammaton

I got a chance to smoke some more Moby Dick buds today, from the same cutting that I have, and here's my report.

You take a hit, and the first thing you notice is the taste, which is predominately on the exhale. On the inhale, the smoke is non-expansive, but you still feel it, almost "sharp", but its very mild and smooth, but not to the point where you don't even feel like youre getting a hit, like some really smooth strains. Anyway, like I said, the flavor, on the pheno that I have, is like sugary/perfumy soap, but very profound. I've encounted this flavor, or a similar flavor in a lot of sativa hybrids, sweet tooth comes to mind, except with moby dick, it's just way more profound, it's not a hint, and it lasts until the final hit.

As for effects, with me personally, contrary to what some have said, it's not an instant right away hit, yet i've only smoked it out of bowls and pipes, so I'm not sure how a bong would be. It's definately not a creeper though. After taking about 3 hits within the minute, I started to feel it come on. So, within about a minute I'd say. The first effect I noticed was a very cerebral, "trippy" effect, almost feels like youre in a new world, just an enhanced and enchanted version of reality. Definately some perception distortion, it makes me feel like I'm in my own zone, where the only thing that matters is whats infront of me. It's pretty euphoric, at least it was for me, because the taste, along with the great initial effects just would make any stoner happy. Soon after, like, around the 5-10 minute mark, it made me feel really comfortable and content, but not in a lethargic, narcotic, or indica way. It was great for conversation, and playing music. Afterwards, my friend played violin while I played guitar, and he was teaching me a song, and normally I can catch on right away, but I had to play it a few times before I got the hang of it, so I wouldn't suggest it if you're trying to study or learn something, I mean, you'll eventually get it, it just takes longer than it would sober or with a different strain. You definately zone out and lose track of time though. About an hour afterwards, after you zone out and get totally involved in whatever you're doing, I noticed I felt extremely comfortable, and sluggish, but in a good way, not in an overbearing way. I wasn't tired at all, but I noted that if I was in my bed, and closed my eyes, I could easily fall asleep right away.

This comfortable state probably lasted an hour, and then I decided to smoke more, which completely refreshed the high. I notice it makes my heart rate speed up, but without the paranoia or uncomfortable feelings typically associated with heart racing strains. You really don't notice unless you're looking for it. I feel as if it's raised my blood pressure slightly, because with each beat of my heart, I feel the blood flowing through all my extremeties. While some strains can be felt "behind the eyes", for me, this strain is felt "behind my ears" or how it would feel if you had a pair of headphones on. Your eyes feel relaxed, but it's not a heavy predominate feeling like most indica dominant hybrids.

I feel it would be great for depression relief/parties/chilling with friends/playing music/working (if you have a create profession), waking and baking, virtually an all day long strain. It would easily help with sleep, but I think it would be best to smoke it an hour before bed, rather than right before bed, because at first the effects are more cerebral, and inspirational, whereas it later evolves into a more indica relaxing effect.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #25
tetragrammaton

Does anyone know what haze was used? Through my research I've noticed that Dinafem uses a "JYD Haze" in a lot of their haze varieties, which is supposedly a choice SSH cut from the netherlands. I'm wondering if that's what they used for Moby Dick.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #26
Mustafunk

Mustafunk is a survivorMustafunk is a survivorMustafunk is a survivorMustafunk is a survivorMustafunk is a survivorMustafunk is a survivorMustafunk is a survivorMustafunk is a survivorMustafunk is a survivorMustafunk is a survivorMustafunk is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetragrammaton View Post
Does anyone know what haze was used?
I'm sorry to break your heart but the so called Moby Dick is just a cross between a selected spanish cut of a very productive and indica leaning Jack Herer and another spanish selected cut of White Widow... both are well known cuts in Spain and easy to exchange for free and not even selected by them.

They just reverted the WW and pollinated the other and... voilá! There you go your "Haze" x WW, easily made by anyone at home with selected cuts and some STS. Even a knock off from El Niño GH would be more Haze that that one! Dinafem guys admited it themselves in their spanish customer service forum after many people putting them on doubt, so forget about all the bullshit in their catalogues about haze and so on.

Royal Haze is just another Jack Herer cut S1 as most of their strains like Critical for example. There isn't any proper breeding work either done by them... only the newbies buy Dinafem in Spain because they love their free great cataloges and posters and they always have the biggest stands in the cannabis fairs LOL, but most growers already know there are just pirates, like most of all other spanish "seed vendors" and many other reputed international ones too! The sad thing is that they are getting more rich than other real spanish breeders who really deserve the credit with all this.

Anyway, the plants for sure are nice, but it's understandable... they were made with great cuts so for sure some plants will be outstanding!!

Peace guys!
Mustafunk is offline   Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #27
headbutt no1

headbutt no1 will become famous soon enough
HA i got to agree with Mustafunk moby dick and all the dinafem hazes are based on the late 90s spanish jack herar cut I dont know why they dont just tell the truth that jack cut is top shelf weed.I could be wrong but I think years ago even Charlie garcia crossed that cut to his panama males for a limited edition panama jack seed release.I am not knocking dinafem moby dick is some tasty weed I have tried it but I dont think much of there marketing.
headbutt no1 is offline   Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #28
tetragrammaton

Yeah, that's a shame that it's misleading information, but like you said, the cuts must be nice as fuck, because it's nothing like any widow or jack herer I've had before. Very reminiscent of uptown haze/piff as far as taste.

Thanks for clearing that up though and answering my question. By any chance do you have a link to their spanish forum? I speak spanish.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 AM   #29
tetragrammaton

Here are some pictures of my Moby Dick clones about 1 1/2 weeks of 12/12. Sorry for such shitty image quality, I'll try to get some better shots once things start coming along. These were just with my cell phone camera. Anyway, as I was saying, in both pictures, you can predominately only see my largest and oldest one. I recieved it when it was about 10 days old after rooting, and I vegged it for another two weeks. About halfway through that, I got two more clones, which were about half the size of my first one, and about a week behind. In the second picture, you can see how I've LST'd the oldest one. The other ones are LSTd as well, just not as extreme since they don't have as many branches yet.

This clone flowers for about 9 1/2-10 weeks. As you can see, it has pretty thin leaves. From what I've heard about the different phenos, I definately have the sweet, incency pheno. It's amazing. It's one of my favorite strains I've smoked in my life. I love the taste, the high, the smell, the appearance, and I love getting to grow it now.

It's just starting to throw out pistils now. Around week 3-4 of flowering is when it starts getting covered everywhere in little "cotton buds" and around week 6 is when they start to bulk up and look like frosty golfballs everywhere. From then on, they just keep getting bigger, denser, frostier, and more fragrant. Most people I know cut it at 8 weeks, but I think that's just because of their lack of knowledge. It's still great at 8 weeks, but it gets better if you let it go the entire 9-10.

btw, they're flowering under a 250w HPS, and I'm using Bio Bizz Bio Bloom starting at 1/4 strength and working up, and halfway through, suplimenting with Top Max.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121205232731.jpg (173.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20121205232847.jpg (127.1 KB, 50 views)

Old 12-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #30
Reg Dixon

end of week 9 flower. Now flushing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec 7 001.jpg (94.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Dec 7 002.jpg (119.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Dec 7 003.jpg (119.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Dec 7 004.jpg (93.5 KB, 98 views)