What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mk III Terpenator

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those of ya'll who have been following our progress with the Mk I and II Terpenators, as well as the Lil Terp passive extractor and Enabler compound fractioning still, will be interested in our new Mk III Terpenator, based on the Lil Terp chassis.

This is just one more configuration possible with the Lil Terp tanks, simply by changing out the modified lids and bolting on readily available parts.

You will note that the collection tank is a simple 6" X 6" sanitary spool, with a standard end plate and clamp for both top and bottom. We laser cut and machined new bottoms for the first Lil Terp series, but that is not necessary starting with a 6" spool. The top plate is the only piece in the whole assembly, that is not standard off the shelf at either Glacier Tank, or at Paramount Supply.

This picture is a mockup of both Lil Terp and Mk III Terpenator parts, but I will post the final assembly with the correct parts, when they arrive back from the machine shop and welder.

The column shown holds about two ounces, but the system will accept longer columns. Cycle time is unknown until we run trials with our prototype, but with the same sized pumps and smaller volumes, we are expecting it to be faster than the Mk I, which processes about half a pound per 30 minute cycle.

Attachments

• Mk III mockup-1-1.jpg
    Mk III mockup-1-1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

MIway

Veteran
Once I get into a new place where I can run bho... Gonna be giving you a shout! Damn impressive with all ur work man. Peace

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also a mockup of the Mk IV, which is also awaiting parts from the machine shop.

What it demonstrates, is how to get increased surface area from a 6" diameter sanitary spool piece. The two 6" X 12" sanitary spoons on their side, creates 144 square inches of surface area when half full, while the 6" diameter vertically, only provides 28.6 sq inches of area, and a 10" paint pot 78.54 square inches.

Not only does that allow us to use a larger column, but it supports quicker butane recovery using little to no heat, so as to preserve maximum terpenes.

Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort.......................

Attachments

• Mk IV mockups-1-1.jpg
    Mk IV mockups-1-1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 58

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mk III, lid machining detail:

Last edited:

prune

Veteran
Not only does that allow us to use a larger column, but it supports quicker butane recovery using little to no heat, so as to preserve maximum terpenes.

This seems to be a closed system design, should not all constituents be conserved regardless of temps?

Nothing short of amazing!!! I love the elegance of your designs...

Even owning a working Terpenator mk1, I can't help but build myself a mkIII; not to mention the RotoVape modification...
strong work yet again GW

killa12345

thanks for all you do grey wolf......was first looking into a tasimsium.......then started to stumble opon yours and foaf terpenators.....

then found your blog and thought about building a mk1 because i dont think a lil terp will be big enough or fast enough to process this latest haul of trip...

all your designs and parts list is making sourcing the parts extremely easy and hopefully ill be in the terpenator club within the next 2 weeks....

might just build a mk3 for smaller tester runs......you the man grey wolf.....

thanks goes out to all you other terpenators out there.....ive been taking points from all your threads...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for all you do grey wolf......was first looking into a tasimsium.......then started to stumble opon yours and foaf terpenators.....

then found your blog and thought about building a mk1 because i dont think a lil terp will be big enough or fast enough to process this latest haul of trip...

all your designs and parts list is making sourcing the parts extremely easy and hopefully ill be in the terpenator club within the next 2 weeks....

might just build a mk3 for smaller tester runs......you the man grey wolf.....

thanks goes out to all you other terpenators out there.....ive been taking points from all your threads...

Thanks for your good thoughts bro! What a fun bunch of brothers and sisters gathered heah, huh?

The Lil Terp was actually oriented to those patients running small volumes, and having more time than money, but the same parts can be used for lots of other things. I'll be making and showing some more of them shortly.

One such use for instance, is a temperature controled vacuum degassing pot and another is a rotovape style thin film evaporator.

My reasoning for the Mk III, was that the Binks stainless pot on the Mk IA makes it an expensive unit and small groups or coops might not need to process a pound an hour.

We often want to process smaller that 235 gram lots, and having a smaller unit that we can run from a 6" to a 24" column on, will come in handy.

Even the Lil Terp will come in handy in processes using fresh frozen materials, because it will easily fit in our freezer and as it doesn't emit butane, there is no explosion danger.

It will also lend itself to vaccum only recovery, so as to preserve the carboxylic acids, and since the latest Lil Terp tank opens from both ends, it couldn't be easier to clean stiff resins from without co-solvents.

The best thing about all the Lil Terp and Mk III & IV configurations, is that there are very few parts to modify, and they mostly just screw together from easily obtained parts.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome stuff as always gw, thanks for sharing. I now refer to you as our Concentrate Christ :D

View Image

Thanks for the hysterical hoot Grayfox got out of your picture and caption. I saved the picture for my collection.

Some more applicable ones:

Attachments

• !cid_1DAE2819-4E55-4B52-BCF7-73801BAC4837@local.jpg
    !cid_1DAE2819-4E55-4B52-BCF7-73801BAC4837@local.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 43
  • !cid_BCC938D4-C63B-482C-98EA-D15CAA133FEE@local.jpg
    !cid_BCC938D4-C63B-482C-98EA-D15CAA133FEE@local.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Hee, hee, hee....jpg
    Hee, hee, hee....jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Aye.jpg
    Aye.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 46

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 The parts are back from the machine shop and ready to weld!

Attachments

• Mk III parts-1-1.jpg
    Mk III parts-1-1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 47

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Final lid machining detail:

Attachments

• Mk III lid machining detail final-1-1.jpg
    Mk III lid machining detail final-1-1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 45

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The rest of the machined parts:

Attachments

• Mk III modified parts-1-1.jpg
    Mk III modified parts-1-1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 41

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hee, hee, hee, the parts are due back from the welder today. Here is a lid assembly drawing for use with the 7" Lil Terp tanks. Shorten the dip tubes one inch for use with the 6" X 6" sanitary spool tanks.

Attachments

• MkIII Lid Assembly detail -1-1.jpg
    MkIII Lid Assembly detail -1-1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 46

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Parts back from the welder and assembly underway. Need to pick up a 3/8" close nipple, a bushing, and a valve from Paramount Monday, to complete.

Note how slick the new tee turned out, with regard to reducing reclaim of unused butane.

Attachments

• Mk III assy-1-1.jpg
    Mk III assy-1-1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Mk III assy 006.JPG
    Mk III assy 006.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 46