What's new

Ebay spin cut hand trimmer review

Desert Hydro

Veteran
so i was a little hesitant about getting one of these but after watching a few videos on youtube and spending countless back angering hours hunkered over a table trimming i finally bit the bullet.

first off the box it ships in has a picture of the outline of the dome but no description at all so it just looks like a funny UFO from the 50's or possibly a wok lol. at first i was worried but the more i looked at it i realized it didnt matter or give any indication to contents.

it comes with 2 sets of blades. wire set and a thicker sheet metal blade that looks like a mini lawn mower blade. DO NOT use the lawn mower blade lol. did a few dents and dings on the buds but nothing too substantial. i quickly switched out for the wire and it works beautifully. 20-25 cranks and youre done. took longer to snip off the buds in to golf ball sized nugs then it did to trim 2 entire plants(popcorn included).

the trim is nice and fine, ready to be processed depending on your methods. i dont think i will EVER hand trim ever again, this thing works that well. im seriously impressed for my 145 dollar investment. i literally went back and hand trimmed 3-4 buds where it missed a couple small leaves and thats it. the buds are nice and round and WELL manicured. to be honest they look nicer than a lot of my hand trims because i get so frustrated working alone on decent harvests.

here are some shots of it and after effects. i sampled all random buds for the close up and only hand picked one big nug to show how it works on them as well. i didnt look for well trimmed nugs. its all random to show uniformity. as long as it holds up i think this is a solid investment for those fed up with trimming. dont get me wrong i used to like hand trimming.......on my first couple small grows but now that things are going bigger its just a pain in the ass and i hate it. i love this thing. ive got my freedom back. it only took me about 2 min total cranking the machine to do 2 plants. it took about 15-20 to prep them in to fun size nugs.

i guess if i had to rate this thing on a 1-10 scale id give it a 9ish because i dont believe in a perfect 10. there is always something to be improved upon but i have yet to notice it yet. i will be holding on to this UFO shaped bastard for quite some time lol

Attachments

• IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 12

Desert Hydro

Veteran
and just for some comparison here are some of my hand trimmed tsi fly buds. much love to mosca negra and his c99 crosses :)

tsi fly is chimeras' c4 x c99 = amazing

Attachments

• P9030633.JPG
    P9030633.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 12
  • P9030635.JPG
    P9030635.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Mantis f2  4 by ocannabis
    Mantis f2 4 by ocannabis
    68.2 KB · Views: 24
  • P9080637.JPG
    P9080637.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 10

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I heard that trimmers ruin the smell somehow...I think its the sap, least I was told that by a friend. He has tried a few kinds of trimmers and was never really happy with any. Went back to employing hand trimmers.

I could be wrong and hope I am because I would not mind a trimmer. I hate trimming though I look forward to harvest and the end of the stress for this year.

minds_I

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Hello all,

I heard that trimmers ruin the smell somehow...I think its the sap, least I was told that by a friend. He has tried a few kinds of trimmers and was never really happy with any. Went back to employing hand trimmers.

I could be wrong and hope I am because I would not mind a trimmer. I hate trimming though I look forward to harvest and the end of the stress for this year.

minds_I

This IS usually the case....

What we would do is trim 1/2 the crop with a trimmer and 1/2 by hand, to retain the stench...

irobot sd

As long as you're using this for average to small size buds it works really good. It can go really quick with 2 people. 1 person chopping and de-stemming. The other just spinning. Try to spin slow to medium speed and not get carried away. Have a 3rd person hand trimming tops and chunkers. Wallah assembly line. Cleanup is easy with brilloh pad or steel wool and some alcohol or good orange bong cleaner. Nice review. This is good to keep around as a back up / emergency.

groer

I got the 'flower trimmer' one almost a year ago. My girl was sceptical and thought it would be a waste of money, now she loves it. I will never go back to all hand trimming. Big buds still need hand trimmed but popcorn and round buds are all machine. I haven't noticed any difference in the finished product.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
thanks for chiming in guys. i was getting a little worried with all the stuff about losing smell, but my whole house reaks because im drying in a bathroom with no carbon scrubber so it most not remove too much lol. i will definately hand trim the nice colas. that i do enjoy, but popcorn can SUCK IT from now on lol. never again will i waste time on mediocre buds. then again if i was better at lollipoping i would have to deal with that either :)

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i got my ONA in the mail today and wow that stuff works! put a home made ona fan chamer outside the stinky places and a small water bottle with ona and water crystals inside my hvac air return and my house smells like fabric softener and nothing else :)

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah man ona in a bucket with a fan cut into the lid is great
fuck, ona in a bucket with a stir wand is pretty useful, too.
i might have to get some of that now that i think about it....

good info krunch

T

TribalSeeds

so i was a little hesitant about getting one of these but after watching a few videos on youtube and spending countless back angering hours hunkered over a table trimming i finally bit the bullet.

first off the box it ships in has a picture of the outline of the dome but no description at all so it just looks like a funny UFO from the 50's or possibly a wok lol. at first i was worried but the more i looked at it i realized it didnt matter or give any indication to contents.

it comes with 2 sets of blades. wire set and a thicker sheet metal blade that looks like a mini lawn mower blade. DO NOT use the lawn mower blade lol. did a few dents and dings on the buds but nothing too substantial. i quickly switched out for the wire and it works beautifully. 20-25 cranks and youre done. took longer to snip off the buds in to golf ball sized nugs then it did to trim 2 entire plants(popcorn included).

the trim is nice and fine, ready to be processed depending on your methods. i dont think i will EVER hand trim ever again, this thing works that well. im seriously impressed for my 145 dollar investment. i literally went back and hand trimmed 3-4 buds where it missed a couple small leaves and thats it. the buds are nice and round and WELL manicured. to be honest they look nicer than a lot of my hand trims because i get so frustrated working alone on decent harvests.

here are some shots of it and after effects. i sampled all random buds for the close up and only hand picked one big nug to show how it works on them as well. i didnt look for well trimmed nugs. its all random to show uniformity. as long as it holds up i think this is a solid investment for those fed up with trimming. dont get me wrong i used to like hand trimming.......on my first couple small grows but now that things are going bigger its just a pain in the ass and i hate it. i love this thing. ive got my freedom back. it only took me about 2 min total cranking the machine to do 2 plants. it took about 15-20 to prep them in to fun size nugs.

i guess if i had to rate this thing on a 1-10 scale id give it a 9ish because i dont believe in a perfect 10. there is always something to be improved upon but i have yet to notice it yet. i will be holding on to this UFO shaped bastard for quite some time lol

Does this thing stink like rubber? I bought the all stainless steel version after reading this thread. My whole pad stinks like burning tires!

I know one who received the clear top model and it really stunk bad too. We think the cause was the mold release used on the rubber parts. Everything was well cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and set out in the sun opened up. As a side note verify the three screws in the top are well secured to avoid unintended disassembly.

PPp

2012 Garden
:tiphat:

Does this thing stink like rubber? I bought the all stainless steel version after reading this thread. My whole pad stinks like burning tires!

Grizz

Veteran
i have a stainless one, LOVE THE SUCKER. doesent smell like rubber and the weed still stinks, really dont see how it could make it not smell.

al-k-mist

I heard it ...i dont know, smashes the bud or beats it up
My back is very bad. This season was hella bad on it, and trimming is excruciating
I like the idea of half hand trimmed and half w the machine
Thanks so much for the review...straight up. Ive been hesitant as well, but now...I dont know..maybe!

St3ve

In regards to the smell and taste...

The problem isn't using the trimmer.. its drying too fast. MOST ppl who hand trim, leave some stem and hang it to dry. Those who use a trimmer use a rack. BIG difference in how long it takes to dry. The first time I used a trimmer I was disappointing with the turnout. I went from hang drying in 5-7 days, to rack drying in 2 days. Little did I know that it would take away all the good smell and taste.

Then I realized what was happening and started controlling the RH around my dry racks. Now when I take it 5-6 days on the racks, there is NO difference in smell or taste. Gotta dry slooow.

I would never go back to hand trimming.. EVER. I have done a few blind taste tests and visual tests with friends and there is no difference.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have one of these things and really prefer not to use it. Only comes out on rounds where I end up with more popcorn buds than expected and don't feel like setting them aside for oil.

It's amazing for the small stuff, wild time saver, but the buds get beat up and chlorophyll splatter really degrades the smell and flavor even beyond just having a lot of trichs lost or destroyed in the process.

This is 7 freakin' grams of hash I razor'd off the top of the grate part and sift from the sides of the lower bowl, after only a few rounds of light use, like a few ounces of popcorn each time -

picture.php

Thing is stealing a lot of the good stuff, and not even being gentle about it, so yeah that has to be weighed against the time savings.

Ganja Maker

Can you dry first then put buds in to trim, or must you only trim wet first? I like to hang dry for about 5-7 days, then trim, and then cure in jars.

St3ve

I would never use a trimming machine on dried bud. It wouldn't do as great of job and you'd lose alot more trichs from them being brittle.