What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Gorilla Tent. Who's got em?

Fat Tone

A

ak-51

Here's my opinion:

The 360 degree sides would certainly make it easier to setup (not to mention fold back up!), but it looks like they don't have side windows. The expandable top is nice, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I feel like most of the people growing with 10' ceilings are doing it big, and probably moved out of tents a while back. The all metal frame is good, but not a major improvement. Secret Jardin's newer style reinforced plastic corners seem strong enough to me. The locking pieces of the frame are good, although they really only matter in during setup. It's good that they are selling it with 4 crossbars on the top. Secret Jardin use to have 4 bars, but the last two tents I got from them I noticed they cheaped out and only put in 3. When you're hanging a fan, filter and light, having one less crossbar does make a big difference.

When compared against the current gen Jardin tents I think it's like a 50/50 tradeoff. I would stick with the Jardin's. A lot of those improvements I see only matter during setup or breakdown, and that probably accounts for less than 1% of the time and effort that you spend growing.

I would like to see a tent made with orca film on the inside.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Looks like a nice tent for sure. I have bought cheapos and higher end tents and in the end they all grow bud just fine.

budderfly

They look nice, but one feature I'd like to see is another set of poles or similar running around the perimeter of the tent a few feet to halfway up - these would prevent the severe bowing in that can occur under negative pressure. Maybe the material on the Gorilla tents is thick enough to make that a non-issue?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I've got a few secret j's and I think the new tent looks better all around from what I could see in the video. The prices don't look bad on their site. Lots of smart improvements in the structure that come standard in tents made for outdoor use. Don't think many growers are looking for more expensive tents tho...

I am in the market for a tent as we type.

Reasons ive PERSONALLY completely written off the gorilla tents:

Too tall for my need- and i do not want/need adjustable height.

Not the best dimensions available-3X3x6 or so is what i want. Not 2X2 or 4x4, bad sizing IMO.

Windows- dont need em, dont want em, could see these putting off toxins under high heat aswell.

And they have a pouch to store your nutes? Anyone think this is a rediculous feature? I know i wouldent be keeping nutes in a warm direct light environment for storage.

And the brand has a kinda "we are the best" the website has soo many claims, and comes off too cocky for a new product.

These seem like they would be GREAT for the big buys with multiple hoods/fans who need the room, or those growing sativas who want 10' of height lol.

My $.02

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Those tents are really nice and have some really nice options. The only problem is that you can get a SJ for half the price.

-Funk

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Other nice ones are Hydrohut Silver Edition and Secret Jardin Darkrooms. But these look badass!

I chose to take a 9'x15' room and split it up w/one wall made of panda film and Orca film for veg and flower (closet for clones-moms). Harvest 12 big 6' shrubs in bare bulb vertical every 2 months w/2 months veg & flower.

thinn

I have a 5x5 Gorilla grow tent. Its Creme de la Creme. It does cost but it is one less thing you need to worry about. I bought this one just reading reviews about others that were ripping multiple times during assembly. The material is heavy as hell, I believe the 5x5 was 70lbs. Everyone that comments on them, says they need more sizes, but if you go to their site Gorillagrowtents.com they have an option for custom sized tents so you can pretty much have one built to your specs which I think is great if you need an oddball measurement. I am very please so far!

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I guess it's fine if you need another tent, but you are seriously thinking to replace a good tent with something that's gonna costs you, I just don't get the logic.. the older my tent gets the more I love it, who doesn't love there favorite old worn shirt......

I think there ad is a joke:

-so you need super heavy material now, second no one's tent would rip pulling it
-showing that if you pickup the 'other peoples tent' will fall apart, well who walks around with the frame
-needing clip in bars doesn't do anything but add to your price your paying, when has anyone's tent with the canvas on needed help from the poles falling out
-so now were using our tent as a workout pullup bar, I've never seen a tent's top collapse, regardless of brand
-also what's up with the overly massive intake / outtake vent holes

once again, sure if you need a new tent, well competition is fine, but this is really no different then a tent with another name, and a way higher price

also as someone said, tents are really more suited for small setups, if your using 4 hoods, or a super big ass tent, just build a room....

Last edited:

ShortStackz

The only thing I see that gets my attention about these is the 360 degree sides for easier setup. Other than that there going to have to have something real innovative to get me to switch tents. I also had the hydrohut silver which also had the same all metal pole design. Thought those were crap as the the poles were not welded straight & I had a side that was bent in a little. Also seem to rust easier.Probably a QC issue but I'd rather stick with my plastic corners.

Stonefree69

Veteran
No tents for me except a North Face for serious camping. Just some 1x2's and Panda film to divide a room up. Doesn't sacrifice ceiling height either.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i loves me some tents but the one thing i would like is an 8 foot tall ceiling. those look nice but my size tent would cost 1100$

greytooth

In my seven years of gardening indoors, assembling my Gorilla Grow tent has been the biggest and most frustrating waste of time.

The instructions are printed in incredibly small type on an 11"x17" piece of paper. There are typos that make me think no one proofread the instructions. The instructions are generic; one set of instructions are used for the 4'x4' as well as for the 12'x12' and the 10'x20'. Because of this, the specific issues that arise from assembling a large tent are completely bypassed. They even misidentify which ceiling support pole goes where. It makes me think the people writing the instructions have never assembled one of the tents.

One nice point is that the main walls contain velcro straps to hold up the wall while zipping it together. Except the velcro straps are reversed on two whole walls, so that you have to twist the straps to get them to work. Not exactly terrible, but how on earth could a fundamental problem like this get past any type of quality control measures?

On the topic of zipping up the main wall, the zippers on the upper half of my main wall are incorrectly placed (I have two female zippers on one side, and two male zippers on the other side), meaning the main wall is incapable of being zipped up. The solution I have found is to force the zipper shut in reverse, but it only temporary because the forced section of the zipper keeps popping open.

Even where the zippers are correctly matched up, it is poorly designed. To open a main door, you have to unconnect one zipper, and then backtrack another. Every time I open my main doors, I am going to be wasting time.

The extension panels are great in theory, except my 2' extension is not long enough to close properly. I'm told a new one is coming, but again, how can something this fundamental go wrong?

Stonefree69

Veteran
In my seven years of gardening indoors, assembling my Gorilla Grow tent has been the biggest and most frustrating waste of time.

The instructions are printed in incredibly small type on an 11"x17" piece of paper. There are typos that make me think no one proofread the instructions. The instructions are generic; one set of instructions are used for the 4'x4' as well as for the 12'x12' and the 10'x20'. Because of this, the specific issues that arise from assembling a large tent are completely bypassed. They even misidentify which ceiling support pole goes where. It makes me think the people writing the instructions have never assembled one of the tents.

One nice point is that the main walls contain velcro straps to hold up the wall while zipping it together. Except the velcro straps are reversed on two whole walls, so that you have to twist the straps to get them to work. Not exactly terrible, but how on earth could a fundamental problem like this get past any type of quality control measures?

On the topic of zipping up the main wall, the zippers on the upper half of my main wall are incorrectly placed (I have two female zippers on one side, and two male zippers on the other side), meaning the main wall is incapable of being zipped up. The solution I have found is to force the zipper shut in reverse, but it only temporary because the forced section of the zipper keeps popping open.

Even where the zippers are correctly matched up, it is poorly designed. To open a main door, you have to unconnect one zipper, and then backtrack another. Every time I open my main doors, I am going to be wasting time.

The extension panels are great in theory, except my 2' extension is not long enough to close properly. I'm told a new one is coming, but again, how can something this fundamental go wrong?
All you need is a few sheets of 4'x8' foam board & some 1x2s for framing them. Cut out 1'x2' vents in the top & bottom. 1 1/2" foam board is about $10-15 each @ Lowes or HD and the 1x2's are a buck or so each for 8'. 1x2s are actually 1 1/2" wide so make a nice sturdy frame for your 4'x8' foamboard panels. Mine also have a shiny side maybe you could use that instead of Orca film for reflection. I like to paint the 1x2s for humidity reasons (prevent warping...) and have a gallon of Valspar exterior outdoor primer & white paint. Then use Orca grow film which is as good as or better than what all the tents use.

Tents are nice and have their uses but they most all take some height away from your grow capacity. Plus how long does the reflectivity last on the mylar?

Stonefree69

Veteran
Hey, I just started growing, but I went with Fullbloom Hydroponics. I got a tent there with bitcoins. here: http://www.fullbloomhydroponics.net/gorilla-grow-tent-2-x-4/ Thats the one I bought. works wonders so far!
I got their Super BubbleFlow Buckets a few years back. One of the better RDWC ready-made hydro systems on the web and not a bad deal actually, they gave me a BIG Ecoplus commercial air pump too & free nutes + good customer service.

But I learned now RDWC hydro systems ready made are mostly just 5 gallon buckets with 8" net pots, some pipe & pumps on a timer. As I learned I didn't need those air stones (used top feed, flooming, small water chiller & venturi powerhead pump in res for adding dissolved O2), and swapped out the 1/2" to 3/4" tubing to 1 1/2" pvc pipe & bulkheads and 496 + 633 gph pumps from their 185 gph pump.

Latest posts

Latest posts