What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has anyone used HFC-134a as a solvent?

montroller

So the FDA says it is safe to use FDA Link

And these guys kind of outlined it here. Even though it is a little different.

They think it is more selective that hexane, at least in that application, I wonder how it would play out with cannabis. The stuff comes in dust off cans and can be bought for airsoft guns as well but I am not sure if that is a safe source to use or if I should just try to get it from airgas or something. Supposedly it isn't that bad for the environment and isn't flammable. Here is the MSDS.

I want to try it as an open tube extraction as soon as I can find a good source, unless people more experienced can tell me why I shouldn't even bother.

jump117

Veteran
In one of the descriptions I read the disturbing message -

R134a decomposed by the flame to form of toxic and irritating compounds such as hydrogen fluoride.

montroller

^^ Yah apparently that happens at 250C which kind of makes this a no go.

Oh well I guess the search for a safer solvent is still on.

montroller

That was only found in animals though, I can't find any reports linking it to human studies. Also it is used in a couple food grade processes already and is deemed completely safe at levels below 1000ppm. That being said for our purpose we will have to heat the extracted material to smoke it and at 250C it can degrade to something that IS toxic.

Butane is great for its selectivity and availability but it is flammable and bad for our environment so I will continue to keep my ear to the ground for something new.

Latest posts

Latest posts