What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a wicked pulse

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i've been wanting to do a separate thread for a long time. the original ppk thread has gotten to the point where it is too large and unwieldy to be an easy source of info. all the info is there but you have to do some mining to get to it in a comprehensive form. that thread is almost 3 years old.

i'm still finishing the room but i'm close so i thought i would show a few progress shots.

the finished dimensions are 29' 1" x 9'2". it is very heavily insulated and i am trying to get a tight air seal as i will be running co2 for the first time.

for cooling i'm using 5 8k btu lg electronics shakers. they have closed vent capability, programmable timers, and back-up memory for restart after power loss.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i'm a big fan of vertical lighting. i haven't grown with horizontal lights in over 5 years.

these are 12 cooltubed 1k's being powered by 6 old style magnetic ballast using 6 flip relays.

the tubes are on 2' centers but only six will run at any given time. every other bulb so that at the flip the incidence of angle changes relative to each plant.

i have not done this before so it is an experiment for me.

there will be 12 plant positions per side, with each light centered between two plants.

the cooltubes are open to the room at both ends so they are just recycling air within the room.

air is moved past them with the 6" duct fans which draw .35 amps each. 4.2 amps total so i will run them all simultaneously during lights on. they are switched from the ballast timers. the fans mounted this way do not take up any floor area. they are rated for 250 cfm each but i think that is bs. they are probably putting out a real 175 or so. but i have run these just like this in my old place and it cools the lights fine.

with all five ac's on the low fan setting and the 12 duct fans on there is no place in the room where you cannot feel air moving. i will probably mount 2 more fans on the walls somewhere.

the lights can be lowered and raised but cannot be adjusted side to side. i built 2 of the caddys so i can move the plants against the lights and move them easily to work.

the plants will be trained flat and tied back to a screen.

i am going to intentionally place the plants too close together by normal standards and allow/force the growth to overlap each other. this too is an experiment.

more on that later.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
and here are the stars of the show! all seedlings. an assortment from dr greenthumb. i wet 64 feminized beans on 5/17 and have been slow growing them under standard t-12 flo's using 6500k bulbs. by the first photo i had already started culling.

they are in 1 quart containers with straight turface. they were started on flora nova bloom at 300 ppm on the .5 conversion. a single slot in the bottom about 3/8" of an inch long and 3/16" wide through which was placed an 8" x 1/2" polyester fabric wick. the reservoir was emptied with a wet vac before each watering.

just different stages of growth, culling as i went.

Last edited:

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Holy SHIT! Straight killer setup! Pro man all the way. Kickin up a bucket to see the show. Cheers man :wave:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
these were taken yesterday. i've culled down to 25 and i need 24.

they have all been topped and defoliated several times for shape and to even out the canopy.

the defoliation consist of removing large, light blocking leaves a few at a time to encourage tighter nodal spacing and increase the number of bud sites.

here is the line up with the usual suspects. from left to right we have "the dope", "chemdawg g13", "sour 13", "good dog", "bubba og", and "c99".

i forgot to add that about a week before these photos were taken i yanked the wicks and began watering with jack's hydroponic special 5-12-26 with calcium nitrate at 600 ppm at .5 again. all my ppm references from now on in this thread can be assumed to be at .5. they are requiring water daily.

i've got a few more days to go before transplant.

Last edited:
D

DHF

Always showin off......LOL.....Attention to detail is everything....What`s room dimensions and wattage D9....

Respect and thanks for bringin the thread to Vert-ville where it`ll be appropriately absorbed and replicated for the greater good.....

K.I.S.S. rules the day.......even if it`s on a larger scale......and.......

I`ll wean yas off them cool tubes down the road......bet on it....:moon:......many ways ta skin a mule....

Peace...DHF....:ying:.....

St3ve

Looks good man. So I'm assuming you're going to be running those PPK's in here? The two things you're going to experiment with are, being crowded and flip flopping the lights?

I`ll wean yas off them cool tubes down the road......bet on it....:moon:

lol

:peacock:

bloyd

Veteran
D9=Pot Genius. I spend far too much time on this forum and have learned far more from D9 than anybody else.

Can't wait to see the new room blow up!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
thanks. everybody! this is going to be a lot of fun!

i tried to rep you, bloyd, but they cut me off for the day!

dhf, the room is 29'1" x 9'2" x 7". approx 266 sq ft of floor and 1850 cu ft of air. and 6 1k ballasts.

st3ve, the 2 elements are part of the same experiment. in the infamous words of ted kennedy, "i'll drive off that bridge when i get to it!".

D

DHF

thanks. everybody! this is going to be a lot of fun!

i tried to rep you, bloyd, but they cut me off for the day!

dhf, the room is 29'1" x 9'2" x 7". approx 266 sq ft of floor and 1850 cu ft of air. and 6 1k ballasts.

st3ve, the 2 elements are part of the same experiment. in the infamous words of ted kennedy, "i'll drive off that bridge when i get to it!".
LOL...Mary Jo Kopekne would disagree with the Ted Kennedy analogy Bro , but I`m all about only goin as far as needed till changes present themselves....

Rock dat shit D9.......now....How many watts in 266 sq ft and how many plants...as well as da footprint per plant....

I`m glad your Old Fart ass is occupied and makin leaps and bounds fer tha community....no competition required........all systems /setups have their place for science ...and....

If I didn`t mention it before.....Respect......

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

mcfly420

¨and have been slow growing them under standard t-12 flo's using 6500k bulbs.¨

How many watts are above those 25 plants?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
LOL...Mary Jo Kopekne would disagree with the Ted Kennedy analogy Bro , but I`m all about only goin as far as needed till changes present themselves....

Rock dat shit D9.......now....How many watts in 266 sq ft and how many plants...as well as da footprint per plant....

I`m glad your Old Fart ass is occupied and makin leaps and bounds fer tha community....no competition required........all systems /setups have their place for science ...and....

If I didn`t mention it before.....Respect......

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

look who's talking bout being old! the fact that you even knew her name dates you pretty well. chappaquiddick is the reason we never got a third kennedy running for big dog.

watts per sq ft! well, if we take the 266 sq ft room into 6k we get 22.56 wpsf of floor. but we are going to have 6k entirely focused on two vertical screens 4 ft x 26 ft each for 208 sq ft of canopy maximum with most foliage in a three ft band.

so, for the foliage in the 3 ft band i think we get 156 sq ft of canopy into 6k which is about 38.46 wpsf. for the 4 ft band, it would be around 28.84 wpsf.

there will be 24 plants, 12 on each side, on 2 ft centers.

thank you for the support!

d9

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
¨and have been slow growing them under standard t-12 flo's using 6500k bulbs.¨

How many watts are above those 25 plants?

hey, mcfly! the 2x4 tarp/tray you see is 4' x 4' square and i started about 57 plants in it with 2 double shop type fixtures so that was 160 watts. i quickly added a third at about 1 week, so that is 240 watts for a while then i culled some more and moved them apart after a few more weeks under 4 which would have been 320 watts and now they are under 5 which is 400 watts total and that's it.

they have to be transplanted soon!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
a few more pics of general construction.

each caddy is 1 foot wide by 24 feet long, rigid and moves as a unit. port and starboard, not fore and aft.

shots of the way it's all rigged. that is one of the flip boxes between the ac's. i still need to finish sealing around the ac's and door.

Last edited: