What's new

Anyone use Reflectix as a hood?

St3ve

Most of us these days are using Reflectix in our rooms on the walls and around pots and what not. I'm wondering if anyone has fashioned a reflective hood out of the stuff.

I'm asking because my grow shop sells a little cheapy hood for like $39 and I've been thinking of making a pseudo verizontal hood out of it to get the most out of the small reflector.

G

Guest 88950

why not........it would be better than nothing.

maybe use a stiff wire or piece of clothes hanger to tape to the refletex to give it shape then hange it.

D

dramamine

I use it above CFL's sometimes for vegging or flowering males. Works real well....easy to bend and shape it, disperses light nicely.

I

Iron_Lion

I wouldn't put it that close to a hot bulb or socket. Pretty sure mylar and plastic are flammable. If you're going to be a cheapskate at least make one out of metal.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
When doing tests with UVB I needed inexpensive reflectors of polished metal, white absorbs UVB.

The pictured units are 24" twin lizard lights with reflectix bent 90 degrees behind them, giving 110 degree dispersement. This is adjustable with thread holding the open end at the correct angle.

When the testing was done a more durable system was aquired, stoned growing with fragile equipment did not work for the long term.

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 21

St3ve

I wouldn't put it that close to a hot bulb or socket. Pretty sure mylar and plastic are flammable. If you're going to be a cheapskate at least make one out of metal.

lol cheapskate.. Its not so much that, as it is that I already have everything to make them, as well as I was thinking that the reflectix wouldn't get hot like the metal does.

Not to mention no one sells the verizontal hood around here.

mcfly420

delta9nxs mentions this in the ¨reflectix, worth it?¨ thread

i just went to lowes and picked up a 4'x25' piece on a roll. $49 bucks so 50 cents a sq ft. i'm about to rebuild my light barrier between the veg and flower areas. all work has to be accomplished during one 12 hr period.

this stuff is the shit. tremendous reflectivity. good insulation properties. very easy to shape. waterproof. lightproof. i have been using it for about 10 years for all kinds of things from lining walls and doors to light fixtures.

i built a 3' parabolic reflector from it, some wooden dowels, and some aluminum tape. i ran a 1k mh 8" from the surface. it never heated up, so it was reflecting ir rather well.
and, if it reflects ir it reflects visible light and uv well too. they are all so close together in the electromagnetic spectrum.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Used it as reflector for 150w HPS lamps...

It needed replacement after 3-4 months because it had faded and begun to crack.

The biggest issue I see with HID is ensuring that it won't ever 'fall' and touch the lamp. Definitely a fire hazard.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

D

dramamine

The reflectix doesn't even feel warm to the hand above cfl's. It has very high heat capacity and reflects the vast majority of the radiant heat. Buying unnecessary shit from hydro stores makes me feel worse than being a cheapskate.

1ManGrow

I use it and will be making a hood out of the stuff once I am to that point..Almost done with my closetmaid wardrobe cab..

Latest posts

Latest posts