What's new

mounting bulbs in tall, narrow cabinet.

D

DU420

This cabinet is in my bedroom so HID lamp are out of the question I don't think I could stand a ballast buzzing next to me whilst trying to sleep. I want to run a Dr bud style sog and this will be my sativa cabinet as its taller. The measurements in feet are 3.7H x 1.24L x 1.0 W, it can comfortably fit 16 1L bottles cut down to 800ml as seen in the front of the pic with the bottles but could fit 20 bottles if I squished them in. It will be fitted with either a 125 or 150mm inline fan and carbon scrubber which will be mounted in the top left corner of the cabinet. I've already measured both large cfls and smaller hid lamps and neither will fit so I'm looking for suggestions on how to mount a decent amount of smaller cfls in this cabinet. I thought about mounting them vertically but thought I'd be losing a lot of penetration and reflection from the lamps. Anyone got any ideas?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=170609&stc=1&d=1339930332

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=170610&stc=1&d=1339930332

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=170611&stc=1&d=1339930332

Attachments

• IMAG0121_00207.jpg
    IMAG0121_00207.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0123_00209.jpg
    IMAG0123_00209.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0122_00208.jpg
    IMAG0122_00208.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 20

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
16 btls is a bit ambitious. Search IC for UN: Verdant Green's small closet grows. Also www.ledgrow.eu

D

DU420

16 btls is a bit ambitious. Search IC for UN: Verdant Green's small closet grows. Also www.ledgrow.eu

It's not that ambitious the doc does 16 bottles per sqft and this is only 13 per sqft. Oh I forgot to mention it will be a perpetual harvest of 4 plants every three weeks so the cab won't be full all at once. There's not enough room for led panels or fluorescent tubes that's why I'm thinking cfls, but thanks for the idea.

It's not that ambitious the doc does 16 bottles per sqft and this is only 13 per sqft. Oh I forgot to mention it will be a perpetual harvest of 4 plants every three weeks so the cab won't be full all at once. There's not enough room for led panels or fluorescent tubes that's why I'm thinking cfls, but thanks for the idea.

it's ambitious for a noob, ...DrBud isn't just another grower, he's a master cultivator who has been growing ganja for more than 20 years.

...and do a search for PL-L's, they are a relatively new, remote ballasted form of CFL that is perfect for small cabs and there are SEVERAL gifted growers using them to great advantage. (check out my clone-box linked in my sig for more info)

...good luck, ...make sure you allow for air-flow AROUND your plants or you will be battling powdery mildew.

peace, SOG

btw, don't stress if your first cab isn't perfect or if things don't go well, ...just don't give up, remember that all your failures are learning experiences that bring you closer to the day when you will be free.

D

DU420

it's ambitious for a noob, ...DrBud isn't just another grower, he's a master cultivator who has been growing ganja for more than 20 years.

...and do a search for PL-L's, they are a relatively new, remote ballasted form of CFL that is perfect for small cabs and there are SEVERAL gifted growers using them to great advantage. (check out my clone-box linked in my sig for more info)

...good luck, ...make sure you allow for air-flow AROUND your plants or you will be battling powdery mildew.

peace, SOG

btw, don't stress if your first cab isn't perfect or if things don't go well, ...just don't give up, remember that all your failures are learning experiences that bring you closer to the day when you will be free.

I've already got a 36w PL-L bulb and it doesn't fit across the top of the cabinet but if I can fit them in the corners I might use them for side lighting. I somehow over looked a fan in the cab I might have to rethink the design. Cheers

I've already got a 36w PL-L bulb and it doesn't fit across the top of the cabinet but if I can fit them in the corners I might use them for side lighting. I somehow over looked a fan in the cab I might have to rethink the design. Cheers

PL-Ls come in several wattages and each is a specific length with the higher wattage bulbs being physically longer, ...so if the 36's don't fit, look at the lower wattage bulbs, ...which is kinda what the good DrBud does with common CFLs.

another thing worthy of note is that the Fulham Workhorse 8, a common ballast used by many, is rated to power a maximum of 220watts so one Workhorse 8 will power SEVERAL 24's say.

either way good luck, SOG

D

DU420

PL-Ls come in several wattages and each is a specific length with the higher wattage bulbs being physically longer, ...so if the 36's don't fit, look at the lower wattage bulbs, ...which is kinda what the good DrBud does with common CFLs.

another thing worthy of note is that the Fulham Workhorse 8, a common ballast used by many, is rated to power a maximum of 220watts so one Workhorse 8 will power SEVERAL 24's say.

either way good luck, SOG

Thanks sog there I go showing my noobiness, I should have thought of looking for smaller wattage bulbs. Is fulham an American company? I'm not sure if I'll be able to find that ballast in Australia.

Edit: sorry for the lazy question its early over here, I just looked it up and it only comes in 120v and 270v and I don't think I can use either of them but I'll try and find an alternative over here. Thanks again.

D

DU420

Ok after all the advice I got here and a good rethink of my design(and relising no larger cfl would fit in my cab) I've decided to go with a 250w hps with a digital ballast (as I've heard they are quiet) and a specular reflector(as its the only one I've found that fits the cab). There will be a 6 inch inline fan with a carbon scrubber which will be inside the cab if I can fit it or outside on top if I cant. I'm placing 2 6 inch desk fans in the cab, 1 up top blowing the heat from the lamp towards the exhaust and one near the passive intake to blow fresh air over the plants. Ive cut numbers from 16 down to 9 until I'm more experienced and get the cab dialed in then I might increase it to 12 or maybe 16. Can any think of anything i may have over looked?

e_24

Good luck with a 6 inch. That thing is going to be too much airflow for that cab. I use a 12v blower pc fan. Uses 6w, and spins at 3000 rpm, and pulls mad air. No meed for a fan like that. I have a buddy using a 4 inch to cool his 250w setup. Go check out the 150w hps club, there are some great ideas on ventilation.

D

DU420

Good luck with a 6 inch. That thing is going to be too much airflow for that cab. I use a 12v blower pc fan. Uses 6w, and spins at 3000 rpm, and pulls mad air. No meed for a fan like that. I have a buddy using a 4 inch to cool his 250w setup. Go check out the 150w hps club, there are some great ideas on ventilation.

Hey e24, I just finished reading the 150w hps club thread that's what inspired me to just go with a hps. My first cab has 226w cfls and 120mm pc fan and when the door closes it can get up to 89oF so that's why went with the larger fan although I have a 4 inch inline fan I can try first so no big deal.

Latest posts

Latest posts