What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there any phenotype variations in FEMINIZED Seeds?

cirric

I want to hunt for that keeper in seeds. And is there any variation from either side of the parents or any variation in the combined parent traits. Or is it the main pheno of the FEM seeded plant. Would it be worth looking for a keeper or are they all the same...

Iraganji

The short answer is yes. Creating fem seeds doesn't make them uniform in one mating. Stabilizing a variety to the point of very uniform progeny takes time and diligence. Most of what you will receive today be they fem or standard seeds will have marked variation.

I find that when keeper hunting, finding plants which are frosty, smell & taste good, strong appealing high/stone, resilient and grower friendly are not hard to find. Finding all or most in one plant is the hard part. For me, the hardest part is accepting the fact that I have a limited amount of time to make this decision and that there is no quarter for the weak.

Good luck to you.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Short answer, yes, there can be a ton of variation especially if it is just an S1 and not a WORKED fem line. fem beans are the same as M/F as far SELECTION, SELECTION, AND SELECTION being the top 3 most important things when breeding them...

For a long and somewhat scientific answer and discussion of fem beans lead by TomHill:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=234619

enjoy :D

moondawg

yes, sometimes as the others have said. Ive grown a bunch of femmed strains that were very homogonous and ive grown others that had considerable variation.

I enjoy the ones that have little variation. Im an outside grower and i like to know what the harvest is going to look like when i plant. Ive bought beans from vendors, some of them famous that you couldnt find 2 friggin plants alike or finished at the same time in a pack of seeds. If youre looking for moms i guess thats ok but for a grower its a straight up nightmare,

BlueGrassToker

Be it feminized seeds or regular bred, the phenotypical expressions will be relative to the selected parents. Forcing pollen from a stable line female and pollinating a sister female is going to yield seeds that produce very homogenous expressions.
Doing the same with two unworked hybrids will yield the typical 1-2-1 variation at F1 and show lots more variance at F2.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes S1 behave the same as a F2... I have to say though if the breeder knows what there doing with there s1 line they can behave like a IBL. A good example is CBG Peyote Purple. This is a S1 line that has been worked. Its also sold as a regular line since some males where found. I found one I used it to make PP F2?.. I did not save this male. I did collect most of the pollen and stored it.

cirric

Thanks for all the breeding info... I can use that!

Thanks for all the breeding info... I can use that!

Glad to hear from you all that I can go on HUNTING both FEM/Regular seeds!

The only strain I know FEMED is La Confidental that I want (Never smoked it).

Others Im going to hunt:
Afghani #1 etc... In general...,
Blueberry x NL,
KISH or Afghani x Blueberry cross,
Afghani x NL... And many more I havent even tried yet!!!!
If anys seeds/clones are floating around the PDX area!!! Let me know!!!:thank you:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If the breeder has worked the line you wont find much variation. You need to know how much work was done on the line.. When I grow PP every plant is the same from seed. Not much variation to speak of.

mendo420

Veteran
Im testing my feminized seeds for variations.
If all is good, I'm running all feminized seed next year!
Their seems to be little variation so far.

S1's
Mendo Kush
Exodus Cheese
SFV

Proper

Yes, any plants grown from seed (not just cannabis) will always have different phenotypes.
There may be some that appear to be similar but they are not EXACTLY the same.
This is the beauty of growing. Due to this, there is no limit to the amount of different smells and flavors that can be found for us to enjoy.
A Macntosh apple or any other type of apple you know of is in fact a phenotype that someone found, liked and replicated hundreds of years ago.

Thank You Planet Earth!

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Short answer, yes, there can be a ton of variation especially if it is just an S1 and not a WORKED fem line. fem beans are the same as M/F as far SELECTION, SELECTION, AND SELECTION being the top 3 most important things when breeding them...

For a long and somewhat scientific answer and discussion of fem beans lead by TomHill:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=234619

enjoy :D

follow 40Amps post and educate yourself somewhat. good luck in your quest. :ying:

Mr. Lovebuzzed

if its s1 it has less variation than feminized cross of two distinct lines of course... but you still get variation... look we all exist due to mutation, its special case of variation... you cant cut variation off the universe :D

Latest posts

Latest posts