Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Cannabis Infirmary > twisted yellowing leaves, stunted growth (pix inside)

Thread Title Search    
Click for Weed Seed Shop
 twisted yellowing leaves, stunted growth (pix inside) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #31
Hans-von-Dampf

Hans-von-Dampf is on a distinguished road
thanks for confirming this.
Looked into the tent as soon as the lights went on and yup: plant 1 had his balls all over the place ... so he got deported. I took a few clones in case I get the chance to pollinate a few leftover flowers (they're good seeds, no bag seeds but sweet Netherlands import seeds), maybe I can save a few for the winter or whatever.

plant 3 now shows white feathers all over the plant and starts to flower for real. plant 2 also developed feathery little hairs on some shots so it's perfect: 2 plants to keep and flower.

to be honest: I was battling way too high RH the past few days (especially during lights out) because the place got way too crowded. I'm somewhat relieved that one of them volunteered to leave, so I didn't have to give away a precious female. RH's in check for now, a dehumidifier should be here tomorrow ... and that's that

Now I can spread the two ladies all over the net, which leaves a lot more space for airflow and light to come thru

yeah, now every evening I can't wait to open the tent and have a peek or two. I know why I love doing this ... it's not just the product, it's the process as well. I just love gardening after a hard day of work, lights down, music on, wire, cutters, watering can, magnifying glasses ... designing my plants bonsai-style. wonderful hobby, isn't it?
Hans-von-Dampf jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #32
Hans-von-Dampf

hi there ... after some time without any further troubles, I might have a new issue:

it's now week 6of flowering, number 1 & 2 did really great so far after 2 stirred up some trouble earlier (which is why I started this thread). I had some trouble with Fungus Gnats, but I nematoded the crap outta those little buggers and they seem to be receding. I still may have a minor case of root aphids tho ... not sure but it looks like it. not too many (had far worse), but when I dig up some soil I usually see one or two bugs running away.

feeding schedule as planned, PH around 6.4, temps due a sudden colder period perfectly normal but there's some wilting going on in the lower regions, maybe it's just leaves dying off ... but they appear to dry out from the tips, or just yellow and then fall off.

especially plant 1 is doing perfectly fine, bud-wise (see picture), but plant 2 is lagging behind: small buds, bud leaves yellowing or not going fully green (dunno which ... see picture).
Also ... when I water the plants, 1 will have reasonable runoff, slowly creeping out of the pot, whereas two doesn't seem to be able to keep the water, even when I water really slow. It just runs through like nothing for some reason even though the are in the very same soil mix

could this (the stunted growth, the water issue, the slow budding) be the root aphids? I do have imidacloprid at hand but I'm somewhat reluctand to put it to use in week 6 of flowering. but then again I may have no choice. What to do?

SeaMaiden? anyone? thanks

Hans

Attached Images
File Type: jpg trouble_ahead.jpg (201.4 KB, 58 views)

Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #33
Hydro-Soil
Banned

Hydro-Soil is a survivorHydro-Soil is a survivorHydro-Soil is a survivorHydro-Soil is a survivorHydro-Soil is a survivorHydro-Soil is a survivorHydro-Soil is a survivorHydro-Soil is a survivorHydro-Soil is a survivorHydro-Soil is a survivorHydro-Soil is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-von-Dampf View Post
Hi there. 1st post of a long-time lurker.

We had a crisis with heavy metals contaminated weed polluting the market around here not too long ago, so I decided to not buy anymore and grow my own ... again, but this time indoors and with proper equipment.
I'm greatly interested in information like this. Would love to see it posted with as much detail as possible on plants/meds/effects/problems, possibly in the Medical forum?

Thanks so much.

Stay Safe!

Edit: Yes, I see the new growth on the second plant going yellow. Still looking great and recoverable, you're in good hands.
Hydro-Soil jest offline   Quote

Old 07-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #34
SeaMaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-von-Dampf View Post
hi there ... after some time without any further troubles, I might have a new issue:

it's now week 6of flowering, number 1 & 2 did really great so far after 2 stirred up some trouble earlier (which is why I started this thread). I had some trouble with Fungus Gnats, but I nematoded the crap outta those little buggers and they seem to be receding. I still may have a minor case of root aphids tho ... not sure but it looks like it. not too many (had far worse), but when I dig up some soil I usually see one or two bugs running away.

feeding schedule as planned, PH around 6.4, temps due a sudden colder period perfectly normal but there's some wilting going on in the lower regions, maybe it's just leaves dying off ... but they appear to dry out from the tips, or just yellow and then fall off.

especially plant 1 is doing perfectly fine, bud-wise (see picture), but plant 2 is lagging behind: small buds, bud leaves yellowing or not going fully green (dunno which ... see picture).
Also ... when I water the plants, 1 will have reasonable runoff, slowly creeping out of the pot, whereas two doesn't seem to be able to keep the water, even when I water really slow. It just runs through like nothing for some reason even though the are in the very same soil mix

could this (the stunted growth, the water issue, the slow budding) be the root aphids? I do have imidacloprid at hand but I'm somewhat reluctand to put it to use in week 6 of flowering. but then again I may have no choice. What to do?

SeaMaiden? anyone? thanks

Hans

View Image
Mmm... well, first off, if there IS a problem with root aphids infesting these plants, it's got to be at an incredibly low level. They look pretty good to me. But if growth has stalled then it is certainly at least a consideration, assuming you've already made the positive ID of root aphids.

IF that is the case, then I cannot recommend you use *any* imidacloprid product. I would either do my best to nurse them along, or use any other product that doesn't have as long a PHI (pre-harvest interval) as imid products do. I found complete success using Spectracide with Triazicide and treating not only the plants but the entire area with it. I flooded my trays for several hours, twice, and that took care of the root zone. Then I sprayed the rooms and adjacent areas, hating the stink and the action the whole time.

If I knew of another product, organic, with the same efficacy I would suggest that. Several people have relayed to me of their successes using hot water dips or drenches, and several have relayed to me their failures. The issue seems to be with temps and length of time the hot water is in contact with roots.

But like I said before, if those plants are infested with RAs they look awfully good.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #35
Hans-von-Dampf

thank you again, SeaMaiden

well, they indeed are doing pretty fine so far
the one that had severe problems earlier in veg is a little behind, but so far the buds are ever growing and look super sticky (=full of crystals)

I looked into it and it turns out that Spectracide isn't sold over here, in fact any other insecticide with the same agent are exclusively sold to proper farmers (and only in units that would provide me with insecticide for the next 10.000 grows)

I'll try and nurse them though it. I dug around in the dirt a little, and here and there little dirty-white creatures scurry around, but not as bad as I've seen in other grows (and plants). here's hoping for the best.

I may have some PH issues again (too low, minor lockouts occur) but I'm gonna fix that asap (next watering = tomorrow).

schedule-wise the ladies should be ready for the chop early August, but seeing how the smaller one is a little behind, I might just take down what's ready and give the rest as much time as it wants or needs.

btw I'm cultivating a little bonsai mom now, so I can take cuts whenever I want to "make more". gotta say the seed selling homepage wasn't lying when they said "grow difficulty: moderate". it's really somewhat harder than the bagseed I used to grow, but once you get the hang of it, it's manageable

guess I'll have my next run in winter ...

edit: @HydroSoil I see what I can do. there was s lot of stuff in the papers, and people had to get themselves checked to see whether they had lead poisoning or not ... it wasn't very pleasent, I can tell you that (got myself checked, came out clean)

Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #36
Hans-von-Dampf

dayum! how is that even possible?!

I just checked the runoff of both plants and guess what: even tho they got the same treatment (soil, food, water-wise) one came off way too high (7.1) and the other one way too low (5.8)

I watered them with PHed food / water solution (each lowered / raised to compensate the off scale a little) until the runoff was 6.5 in both. that's good, right? if the runoff is a good PH, the soil should have a good PH range or be close enough?

I had yellowing in the low PH plant (N lockout?) and curly leaves / brownish spots in the too high PH plant. I hope they get better O__O

but again: how is that possible? how can two pots of soil develop into different directions using the same input?

*baffled*

Hans

Old 07-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #37
Hans-von-Dampf

here's what I'm talking about
plant 1 has is canooing the leaves / having what looks like the example picture of PH-related lockouts in the sticky guide above, and plant 2 is turning yellow on me :(

anything I can do besides giving them PHed water?

can't wait to look inside the tent tonight, I hope for the best ... they're not ready yet, 1 needs at least 1 or 2 more weeks, 2 even more (they just entered their 7th week of flowering)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2563 Kopie.jpg (137.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2564 Kopie.jpg (275.6 KB, 26 views)