What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strains high in Linalool?

brindle

Title says it all, I'm looking for strains high in the terpene Linalool. Many people now have access to testing labs and terpene profiling so I wanted to get a list of strains going. Linalool is supposed to be an anti-convulsant and I'm looking for it for this property to suppress epilepsy along with CBD.

abellguy

I'm re-typing this from Kush mag:

"Many purple varieties such as Grandaddy Purple, Purple Erkle, Mendo Purps, Grape Ape, and Lavander have elevated levels of the terpene linalool. Linalool is a found in large quantities in lavandar and grapes as well (hence the association already in place on some of the strain names). Linalool is a terpene with potent anti-anxiety, sedative, and analgesic effects. Linalool modulates the same receptor types (GABA) as Zanax. The analgesic effects are further potentiated by an association with CBD (an "entourage effect") so high-linalool, high-CBD strains would have more potent analgesic properties than plants that were rich in only one of the two compounds. Linalool is one of the most researched of the terpenes due to its common use in aromatherapy. In addition to its well-established anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effects, linalool has anticonvulsant properties and has even been shown to decrease morphine usage in post-surgical patients indicating anti-addiction potential."

I was happy to read this cause I have a strain called JuJu that crosses Space Queen, Malawi Gold (purp pheno), and Mendo Purps. It's just beautiful and the bud has a light overall purple sheen to it even the trics with a darker more prevalent purple spots on calyxes and leaves. Don't know if this was any help, but hope you find what you are looking for :rasta:

brindle

Thanks. Yeah, I've also heard that same info that some purp strains are higher in Linalool. Was just hoping someone chimes in with actual lab results though on which strains actually do.

TacomaComa

ICMag Donor
chem sister,ogchem,triple kush and the pre2k blueberry have worked well for me in preventing my nocturnal grand mal seizures.

brindle

That's awesome man! Besides the pre2k blueberry though they sound like cuts or hard to find strains, the pre2k blueberry is hard enough to find and I gotta find seeds. Do you have any more info on these?

MountZionCollec

Anyone lab test any strains that show linalool as 1 of the main 3 dominant terpenes? I searched all the names listed in the thread but couldnt find actual lab tests to support the claims.

https://cannador.com/articles/single/highest-terpene-strains

THe above are some tests showing strains where linalool looks to be in the top 5 terpenes when you look at the total terpene yield versus how much linalool is listed versus the others.

Im looking for a strain hopefully with linalool as #1 or #2 dominant terpene.

Cannavore

Veteran
linalool is lavender terps right?

bodhi's Wookie15 male imparts sour citrusy lavender terpenes

amnesia haze (rqs) and kosher kush (rp) have a deece amount of linalool. pennywise (tga) is a nice cbd variety with a lot of fruity/ flowery terps. probly some linalool in that.

also marionberry (tga) has a lot of linalool.

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Anyone lab test any strains that show linalool as 1 of the main 3 dominant terpenes? I searched all the names listed in the thread but couldnt find actual lab tests to support the claims.

THe above are some tests showing strains where linalool looks to be in the top 5 terpenes when you look at the total terpene yield versus how much linalool is listed versus the others.

Im looking for a strain hopefully with linalool as #1 or #2 dominant terpene.

linalool is a minor terp, it doesn't lead the pack in typical canna breakdown.
the SC labs dude was just talking about this at a recent panel, think he said there were maybe 6 overall grouping with a few subdivisions.

I think someone mentioned finding a plant with more than 1% linalool but I've never seen it and I look through many of the terp profiles run at the Emerald cup each year.

Emerald cups your best resource for studying this stuff now that SC and many other labs have pulled their info offline.

with the emerald cup results you can see hundreds of chemotypes and probably trace down the grower for a cut if you are ambitious.
there's always some freakish results in those tests if you take the time.

rolandomota

Veteran
Pakistan chitral kush from cannabiogen and ace seeds ace website has them terp tests your looking for

Betterhaff

Veteran
Not cannabis but some plants with the highest linalool amounts in their essential oils are:

Coriandrum sativum (cilantro/coriander) - >700,000 ppm
Basils are also high - ~600,000 ppm
Grapes are in the 300,000 ppm range
Lavenders range ~10,000 ppm

MountZionCollec

amnesia haze (rqs) and kosher kush (rp) have a deece amount of linalool. pennywise (tga) is a nice cbd variety with a lot of fruity/ flowery terps. probly some linalool in that.

also marionberry (tga) has a lot of linalool.

THanks! Ya the Marionberry and kosher kush have a decent amount. I couldnt find any tests on the Amnesia haze showing linalool though.

MountZionCollec

linalool is a minor terp, it doesn't lead the pack in typical canna breakdown.
the SC labs dude was just talking about this at a recent panel, think he said there were maybe 6 overall grouping with a few subdivisions.

I think someone mentioned finding a plant with more than 1% linalool but I've never seen it and I look through many of the terp profiles run at the Emerald cup each year.

Emerald cups your best resource for studying this stuff now that SC and many other labs have pulled their info offline.

with the emerald cup results you can see hundreds of chemotypes and probably trace down the grower for a cut if you are ambitious.
there's always some freakish results in those tests if you take the time.

6 overal groupings of terpenes? Their is way more then that. Its a new idea so there different people with different opinions on it. But I took multiple probability and statistics courses in college and the potential combinations are very high.

There was a hash church episode where they were discussing this and Chimera showed some information where their are people right now with Proprietary strains that are almost pure Linalool, plus many other combinations of it.

I agree many of the current strains being grown and tested do not have Linalool as the top 3 terpenes, the best I saw was Bruce banners #3 with Linalool being 25% of the terpene total.

where is the best place to source all emerald cup terpene tests? I didnt know they had been doing them for that long?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
6 overal groupings of terpenes? Their is way more then that. Its a new idea so there different people with different opinions on it. But I took multiple probability and statistics courses in college and the potential combinations are very high.

There was a hash church episode where they were discussing this and Chimera showed some information where their are people right now with Proprietary strains that are almost pure Linalool, plus many other combinations of it.

I agree many of the current strains being grown and tested do not have Linalool as the top 3 terpenes, the best I saw was Bruce banners #3 with Linalool being 25% of the terpene total.

where is the best place to source all emerald cup terpene tests? I didnt know they had been doing them for that long?

well SC probably runs way more terp tests than anyone except that lab in seattle that tests for 7 on every potency test they run.

if you can't trust him who knows, he was talking in a generalized way how one make break down a family tree of groupings I think not about all the statistical outliers.
I think it was a panel at the 2016 cup, videos are online from those panels.

only test of Banner#3 I see online is here with no big spike in linalool.
https://mcrlabs.com/bruce-banner-3/

I think this was the fourth year that the Emerald cup terp tested all the flowers but only 2017 is still up.

https://theemeraldcup.com/2017-results

PSI in MI and MCR in Mass have databases searchable by flower terpene tests still online but most labs took their shit offline like SClabs did a bit ago.

MountZionCollec

My bad it wasnt bruce banner #3, it was Bruce banner, below it is shown.

Its speculation to say that SC runs more terp tests then anyone in the world. There is most likely people, groups and entities out there NOT advertising that they are investing millions of dollars doing large scale terpene research-testing-breeding on strains.

If people are in the process of categorizing strains by their cannabinoid to terpinoid profile then they will need to consider all the combinations currently available in all of the legal cannabis markets around the world at minimum, but as you note that information is not currently available.

The categories will need to be flexible enough to allow the unlimited combinations to be bred in the future, not just what is available at California Dispensaries today. Their are SOO many well known modern and heirloom varieties that havent been tested by the labs in California or any of the legalized American states...and some havent been tested on terpenes by any lab even though they are being commercially grown for consumers somewhere in the world.....Also the other issue for labs is, they are just given names but many times do not have good accurate information on the real source/genetics of that strain as well as the grower would be.

Just because SC labs hasnt seen it doesnt mean its not being commercially grown in California, Canada, Spain or the Netherlands etc. We could move this process along MUCH better if people were not so closed and competitive with this type of information. If people do not share this information state wide, nationally and internationally then we will progress much slower in our understanding of the plant.

well SC probably runs way more terp tests than anyone except that lab in seattle that tests for 7 on every potency test they run.

if you can't trust him who knows, he was talking in a generalized way how one make break down a family tree of groupings I think not about all the statistical outliers.
I think it was a panel at the 2016 cup, videos are online from those panels.

only test of Banner#3 I see online is here with no big spike in linalool.
https://mcrlabs.com/bruce-banner-3/

I think this was the fourth year that the Emerald cup terp tested all the flowers but only 2017 is still up.

https://theemeraldcup.com/2017-results

PSI in MI and MCR in Mass have databases searchable by flower terpene tests still online but most labs took their shit offline like SClabs did a bit ago.

Sante

In DoPa
Very interesting! I am looking to see if their are any other tests of CBD Divine showing linalool as main Terpene.

Do u know the genetics they used?

The second link from leaf online wouldn't come up for me.

The second link doesn' work even for me.
Try googling "terpene profile: linalool - The Leaf Online".

I' m searching for the same thing too but unfortunately I haven't got any more usefull information for you...i think that crossing an high CBD strain with the right GDP pheno (or Soma lavender or maybe a vanilla kush as well) for some generations could be a good strategy but I'm not a breeder anyway.

TheMan13

Veteran
I find Linalool in the top 3 terpenes of my clone only Bruce Banner #3.

My Bruce Banner #3 Terpene Report conducted 10 months after harvest:

Total: 3.350% Weight Percentage Dry Matter (wt/wt%)

Mono Terpenes:

Limonene: 1.020 %

Linalool: 0.430 %

Fenchol: 0.230 %

Myrcene: 0.200 %

β-Pinene: 0.150 %

α-Pinene: 0.110 %

Camphene: 0.030 %

Sequi Terpenes:

β-Caryophyllene: 0.690 %

α-Humulene: 0.330 %

Nerolidol 1: 0.090 %