What's new

Moldy (PM) buds for BHO Oil

so i had a half ounce of some purple kush then looked good on the outside and everything but inbetween the stem and the bud i found some powdery mildew. Now ive heard different things about using moldy bud for bho most being that its a good method for salvaging buds so i thought id make a small batch. The oil itself looks good its been purging for a lil over an hour ago and i wipped it and it seemed to turn that nice budder color and texxture. However i can kinda smell the moldy/ammonia kinda smell in it as well as a mixture of the nice kush smell. So judging from the smell in my experience with oil is that its gonna taste like that too.

sorry for the disorganized rambling but i guess my question is do you think its safe to smoke ? does the butane kill the mold (the bud was really dry and the mold did not get ne worse in the 2 weeks after i bought it).

Nonphixion

According to my limited experience, and the Eagle 20 thread: it's more than safe.

PM spores are everywhere in the air we breathe, all the time. It's safe to inhale non-burnt, burnt or vaporized PM fruiting bodies or spores. Some sweet wines are made specifically with moldy bunches of grapes, so it seems it's ok to drink too. I'd say you're fine but I've never made BHO.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Powdery mildew puts out no know aflatoxins, but still tastes like mold. We've found that if we redissolve the BHO in ethanol, and filter it down to 0.2 microns using a syringe filter, that the moldy taste and smell go away.

0.2 Microns is not only fine enough to take out all the mold material and spores, but also any bacteria present.

PS: Please use a microscope to assure yourself that it is indeed powdery mildew. Aspergillus does put out aflatoxins.

Some folk get a type 1 allergic reaction just from the mold spores, even without aflatoxins.

Attachments

• Syringe filter.jpg
    Syringe filter.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
If you have access to bubble bags, the mold spores are smaller than the finest screen.

It will help to rinse again with clean COLD water.

be glad it's only a 1/2 o.

henrydaniels

The Dr. on the BHO panel at the Denver high times cup stated that everything in the plant is concentrated when run. This includes pesticides, molds and what ever other crap is in the plant.
He did not go in depth about the harms from concentrated pesticides or mold, but I am assuming that it is just as bad, or worse compared to smoking the contaminated bud(just my opinion).

prune

Veteran
The Dr. on the BHO panel at the Denver high times cup stated that everything in the plant is concentrated when run. This includes pesticides, molds and what ever other crap is in the plant.

Everything soluble in butane is concentrated in the oil. PM does not dissolve in butane, hence it is NOT concentrated in bio.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Everything soluble in butane is concentrated in the oil. PM does not dissolve in butane, hence it is NOT concentrated in bio.

Good point! It is the less than 20 micron spores and mold material that makes it through the filters that gives the oil its moldy smell and taste.

thx for the replys, i just got done scraping it all up this morning and it looks great and fills the room up with a nice skunky kush smell , but when you smell it upclose you can kinda smell the moldyish smell. it tastes "ok" kinda hashy but ive been putting it on top of bowls so its hard to tell. No immediate bad effects like "weezy lung" or nething just stoned but ill see what happens after smoking it a couple days , however it will just be in small amounts usually only smoke oil at night.

And a question for grey wolf , i dont have access to a microscope or nething but in my experience ive only seen two kinds of mold on pot , the Fuzzy type of mold thats really stringy and common on wet weed , and powerdy mildew which is the dense white coating which i thought was usually found on outside of bud on fan leaves and such but like i said this was found on inside of bud between the stem and bud. Is the Stringy fuzzy type mold the "Aspergillus" you're referring to ?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thx for the replys, i just got done scraping it all up this morning and it looks great and fills the room up with a nice skunky kush smell , but when you smell it upclose you can kinda smell the moldyish smell. it tastes "ok" kinda hashy but ive been putting it on top of bowls so its hard to tell. No immediate bad effects like "weezy lung" or nething just stoned but ill see what happens after smoking it a couple days , however it will just be in small amounts usually only smoke oil at night.

And a question for grey wolf , i dont have access to a microscope or nething but in my experience ive only seen two kinds of mold on pot , the Fuzzy type of mold thats really stringy and common on wet weed , and powerdy mildew which is the dense white coating which i thought was usually found on outside of bud on fan leaves and such but like i said this was found on inside of bud between the stem and bud. Is the Stringy fuzzy type mold the "Aspergillus" you're referring to ?

Aspergillus is a composting mold that lives on dead material, while powdery mildew lives on living material. Aspergillus was named that, after the aspergillus used to fling water in holy ceremonies, and is easily reconizable by its shaft and head structure.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• Powdery mildew.jpg
    Powdery mildew.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 27
  • Aspergillus (1) fumigatus.jpg
    Aspergillus (1) fumigatus.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 20

bioguy

Edibles

Edibles

Would the powdery mildew spores that pass the 20 micron screen be of any danger when eaten? I have an entire room to salvage and edibles seems like the only logical solution.

Old Gold

Your answer is above..
You still want to filter down to 0.2 microns.
Eating the mold and spores can still cause allergic reactions, yes.

Plus, your dosages will be more accurate given the product purity.