Thanks for yer posts.. No seriously, so much to read here on other threads that I've been doing that since..
And I got an second hand LG 8.5 kg top-loader to have some fun with ($110) .
Let me add some results to my experiments.
Not sure how much bud got thrown in to the tub, but it was a whole bunch and some was wet and some was dry. The strain was chocolope x shishkaberry (Cannalope Haze Pheno) and maybe equivalent to 300g or more of heavily seeded bud was used. I have no bubble bags anymore so just got some silkscreen material, 220um, 177um, 160um, 115um, 90 um, 73um, 43um and 26um. I found the local supplier and raided the offcut bin and got the whole lot for equivalent to $30, most sheets at least 2m square.
I then tried to clean the machine and after 5 bleach washes and with black crap still coming out I had to take it apart and scrub each bit of everything and pipe and pump till new again and all and high pressure hose it all and it was a hellava mission nevermind having to get the drum off!!! Fucking killed me haha. So if you want to try this at home, bottom line is get a new machine and you will be much happier! So once my machine was like new I put a sticker ($Free) on it like they do in the movies to make it official.
I chopped the buds off the stick with fan leaves removed and lightly chopped them across the bud cross-sectioning them. At first I tried to make a sack outa 220um material but gave up and just dumped it all in the machine hoping the seeds would just get spat out for me. First I loaded about 6kg of ice into the drum and filled with water. Set to wash for a minute and left to get cold. I loaded bud in and closed the top to keep cold and kept a thermometer in to keep and eye on temperature, it stayed at about 1 degree c the whole time. After getting tired of chopping bud I mixed it up with a big wooden spoon to submerge the bud and left the thermometer on top submerged. After an hour left to get icy I took out the therm reading just above 0 and started the first wash. This was run on a 'fuzzy' cycle, wash only for 15 mins and pumped out my modified 20mm clear hosing with tap. I had tried to build a bucket buchner siphon-vacuum filter setup but the additional buckets added with screens created airlocks which negated the vacuum from the siphon and created a bottleneck in straining and I stopped quickly to make a new plan. So U just used a 5l bucket in a 5l bucket in a bucket with the bottoms cut out and silkscreen in between to act as a 'workbag' filter with a 220 and 177 material between buckets. The outlet pipe went into here and this went into a large clean HDPE drum to collect hash water. I played around with seeing where the plant material stops and there was none whatsoever past the 177. There was a tiny amount of huge glands trapped that would not pass through the 177 but this layer was mainly broken red hairs and tiny plant bits so got discarded. The 26 took too long to filter through and was not used. The 90, 73 and 160 were not used either.
I used a 6mm siphon hose to drain the tank of resin water into a very large sieve with screen over and clothe-pegged securely, which was standing over a bucket. The hose end was aimed so a whirlpool swirl of water was formed keeping the crystals from settling and blocking the filter. Periodically it would almost run over and id have to stop the siphon and take the sieve and pan the water round and round to drain quickly to continue siphon. I first filtered with 115um after 220 and 177 work filter and then I re filtered the water through the 43 um. To be honest this was a bitch and I have to refine this step completely. I did a second run for 3 x 15 min heavy duty jean cycles and then later a third for the same. I added fresh ice each time. Once done the machine was cleaned and rinsed thoroughly, dried and put away. So the results of my test.
All in all I was completely blown away at the apparent efficiency. I have yet to fully separate the dried material I used from the seed so as to get a 'dried weight' equivalent but looking at the buds afterwards with a loupe, all the gland heads are removed uniformly and also inside buds too. The washing machine has the perfect action it seems. At no point did the water pick up a hint of green, even 12 hours later when finishing the 3rd run the water was golden. With 2 grades per run, 3 runs in total, all 6 grades are better hands down in quality to any hash I have ever made. I am over the moon! All 6 balls are marbled, brown and cream to grey/white, full melt ridiculousness. Like the pics here I see from you ICmaggers. I'm so stoked to have been shown the ways
I got 36 gm back in total. 10 % on the first run, 70% on the second and 20% on the third. Looking with a loupe at finished material I cannot see any gland heads left and it seems all gland stalks have been left intact on the bud. So about half of one seed crop plant went in and I had the seed and hash back a day later. The hash took 2 days to dry on a piece of cardboard above my warm PC. It is almost unworkably sticky and smells like perfume, I have had a chillum of it against a chillum of the best Moroccan 00 2day and it was in another league completely. I am so happy. Om Namah Shivaya Om!
Hope this helps someone, this beats beating a drum and whisking a bucket for sure, yields were good it seems and quality was supreme. The plant material was A grade seeded bud, sticky and greasy as they get and fully mature.