What's new

The security of medical data

G

Godless

You put your name on a list and think that, because this is medical data, HIPPA will protect your name from being disclosed.

If you were a member at a dispensary, they have your name. I did a Nor Cal dispensary tour when I moved back to CA and got my name on a lot of lists.

Then the feds take down a dispensary and they get that list. You think those jackbooted thugs give a fuck about HIPPA? It is a pretty rational fear, but not what has my blood boiling enough to post:

I saw on "thugtrader" a wanted ad for dispensaries' lists. With all the dispensaries closed down there are probably a lot of lists floating around. Not to mention that some of the dispensaries I frequented were pretty obviously operated by sketchy thug-types, who now have my name/address associated with breaking a federal law.

I was once proud of myself for getting legal - now I am thinking I should have listened to my paranoia.

And, at the end of the day, what reward did I get? I got to pay prohibition prices for poorly identified buds that were no better than what I could acquire and grow on my own (and probably much worse due to the shortcuts people make when they are growing for $$). I had access to "elite" clones that were infested with mites, fungus gnats, springtails and powdery mildew. I'll note that my cuts all came from the some of the "best of the best" in the NorCal and every single clone I got (14 different strains) has been ditched due to being infested/infected with 2-4 of the above. It was this bad a year ago when I moved back to CA, and now that the majority of the dispensaries are gone, it is worse.

And here I am now, growing my own from genetics I acquired 6 years ago from a trip to Canada. I'll never sell and rarely smoke outside the privacy of my own home. What a massive risk I have taken by just putting my name on a list so I could have access to what I thought would be the "weed nirvana" that CA seems to those in other states. What a sad, sad joke.

Last edited:

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
To date, the Feds have made zero busts on Patients from those lists--
I wouldn't let it keep you up nights--:tiphat:

CooperKerns

As healthcare centers are implementing various new technologies to help doctor as well as patient for making treatment easier, it also create threat of medical data breaches. Nowadays nearly every medical device that is related to software applications always has a concern of data hack or loss in variety of ways. It is important to imply necessary security measures to avoid unethical access of medical related data.

dddaver

Veteran
Absolutely OP. The slogan, "No shit Sherlock...but what about....?", sounds off the warning bells in my head whenever I read that ZERO shit. Like there is something to even be argued here? And why is that even an arguable issue at all anyway? It's NOT. Facts are facts. Too many potential abuses to even list. But you can always find the one supporting statistic (but not the whole story) in ANY issue. Whatev.