What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stoned in the Swamp 2012

Hey guys, this is going to be my second grow, last one was outdoor as well. I planted near the area I'm planting in now, and no plants were ripped, only had problems with animals. The soil is muddy, and most of the spots are close to the water table, so I'll be using mainly homemade swamp tubes. I'm at 40 N.
As for soil I will be using some old soil from last years grow, it's already halfway there and has good texture, along with my own compost and some old horse manure. So far this has been a free grow other than lighting costs. I'll be feeding with mainly compost teas in the beginning, but I plan to buy some high P/K guano for flowering.
All plants are bagseed(mainly midgrade), I like the surprise/variety, and I don't mind plucking males. This is for personal stash, I don't care as much about yields, all my plants last year were bagseed and turned out to be some of the best weed I've ever smoked. Tastiest for sure. I started late and didn't choose the spots wisely, very little light got to these girls. The one full season yielded an ounce, and the rest of the late ones(7-8?) added up to about one and a half ounces.

These new spots show a lot of promise, plenty of southern light.
There is one mound spot, this has an early plant already 6 inches at least, weather has been great so there were no issues with this one. There are three other babies out as well, each at different spots. I plant them young and they take fine to the environment.

Picture is my seedling starter. After many problems, I simplified my set up, two lights (anymore and the cab overheats) and four seedlings in a square container at a time(divided, so they each get there own small pot). Right now you can see I have 2 happy babies, a new one popping up (he's still got his helmet on :) ), and one that was maimed by the light (germing another bean today, it's probably gonna die). Lights are synced up to outdoors.

I will update with pics of the spots when I go to plant these new guys in a week or so.

Attachments

• Holes 17, 18, & 19. Just after the pull over.
    Holes 17, 18, & 19. Just after the pull over.
    38.9 KB · Views: 27
Update!

Update!

Downpour today, perfect opportunity to check spots and plant a new baby(5th one). The cover is growing in wonderfully, most of these are very stealthy even in winter, only problem is I'm giving up some light for the girls. All spots amended with soil and mulched at least a month beforehand (most of them in the fall/winter) to let the soil settle in unless otherwise noted. Lots of pics, will be a couple posts.

Spot #1
Early plant. Had a small mound from last years grow (plant got mangled and the spot went to waste), just topped with a backpack of soil and mulched when I transplanted. Planted late march. Spot doesn't get great light, but is doing well.
picture.php

picture.php

Spot #2
Tree spot
Just planted a new baby here, a tree fell over and the root mass was this wonderful sticky black dirt, so I amended lightly with some mushroom compost. The thing is a giant raised mound of dirt, gets plenty of southern light. Right on the treeline of a small clearing. Hoping for a monster out of this spot. Also hoping nothing decided to munch on the baby before I bring out chickenwire (I try to make more natural fences with thorns)
picture.php

Mound shot:
picture.php

This one is a 1-2 gallon in a tree, wrapped in burlap for stealth. I plan to put one in here soon, and once I pull a male from a good ground spot, I will transplant this one there.
picture.php

Spot #3
No plants yet, two holes with brought in soil. One in bottom left corner and one in top right, the top right also has fish buried.
picture.php

Spot #4
Swamp tubes. This is my biggest baby, second planted, 3x bigger than the last time I saw him, I fertilized with some diluted compost tea. Hoping it isn't a male, but I know now that's how things tend to go with regular seeds. There is another tube next to this one, planting in it soon. They both were buried with fish.
picture.php

Same spot, you can see the empty swamp tube.
picture.php

Spot #5
3 swamp tubes. One baby, third planted, a few days after the spot 4 plant, but is only half the size, more compact nodes so far. They came from the same bagseed, great weed that had 3-4 seeds in it.
picture.php

picture.php

Spot #5 continued

This tube was put in a hollowed out tree stump
picture.php

Other empty tube
picture.php

I have another spot I didn't visit today, which contains an empty tube and the fourth baby. I also have a late spot I'm hoping to plant in June/July, the overgrowth is crazy and it gets tons of sun, but it's a little closer to civilization so I want to keep them small. Maybe a few other late plants if I get all my spots filled and everything is going well. So far I've had no deaths outside, even though I plant quite young. Update in a few days to a week I should be doing more planting, I've got about 8 beans germing, going to try and start a few outdoors in mini-green houses. Things are picking up! :biggrin:

Thanks for tuning in,
Rosetta.

Grimr3efer

Hell yeah!! Looks good brother. I know how it is with the animals. Damn near every plant i put down gets nibbed by the deer. I try to bring some of my piss in a bottle and spread it around during visits. Always relieve myself before leaving. Helps keep them away. I would like to use some cages but I am afraid they will be spotted by the choppers. So in my efforts I try to plant more so that the odds are better for me because I know that all seedlings will not make it to harvest. Keep it up bro. :D

My chicken wire is a few years old so it doesn't shine, almost invisible out there, I know where all the tubes are and I usually don't see them until I'm 5-10 feet away. Last year I had my two full season outdoors COMPLETELY stripped of leaves by deer, with a few tips left at the top. The stems were sticks and turned a sickly color. Completely grew back(one was male and got chopped) just had smaller fan leaves (no more than 4 inches long). Probably going to save some urine to spread out on site soon, as I can't cage the plants once they get big enough, but there is plenty of vegetation for those bastards to feed on other than my babies so fingers crossed. I'm hoping for at least a LB this year, since all spots are at least 5-10 gallons and open at the bottom, I should make out okay. Thanks, good luck on your grow!

M

MrSterling

Down here on 37N we had a real gullywasher come through too. Rained and poured all day.

Seedlin

Dude you can scatter human hair around your babies to keep the deer off em. Just go to a baber shop and get all you want...I've used it for years....:tiphat:

Sterling: Yeah it's still pouring here, my spots have good drainage so I'm sure they will like it.

Seedlin: I just may try that, thanks!

Right you are, boobs!

UPDATE TIME! :woohoo:

SPOT #6
Spot we haven't seen yet. 2 swamp tubes.
New baby planted
picture.php

picture.php

Bad news, there was a baby here (had mutant leaves, wanted to see how it grew), but I left the top of the swamp tube open and there was no sign of my baby :(
picture.php

So that makes 5 plants still outdoors, with about 7 more to go.

Spot #1
Some LST. Some insect damage.
picture.php

Continued...

Spot # 2
Chicken wired.
picture.php

Spot #4
LST'd the big one.
picture.php

Spot #5
More LST. Have a good feeling about this plant.
picture.php

So other news. My beans are a bit old, came from a friend, germ rate is maybe 50%, and then once planted maybe 50-75% chance of popping up, so I'm not getting the plants out as fast as I would like. It's going to be awhile until my next update, hoping to get a few babies ready to go before I need to trek out again.

Thanks for stopping in.

trickey mickey

looking good , i'm a rookie in the dirty south live in the middle of 1000 acres of cowpastures. no prioplem wirth soil black as night, germing a few now (experiaamenting) so when my gift from Seed Boutique comes, there will be no screw ups. getting DPS Skunk Passion (5) to start and then ten more in a couple opf weeks . mother nature is just right here to to most of the work. using triple osmosis system for frig to filter water and airaeting with bubble rock. distilled water early for perfect ph

Sounds like a great setup. The native soil at these spots goes like this. A few inches of just roots/decaying plant matter, then a mix of mud, sand, and clay heavy soils, not pretty, but there is enough water so the swamp tubes should always have something to drink. Good luck, I suggest making a lot of small spots incase of rippers, but plants should do fantastic out there.

2 babies will be ready to be put out in a few days. Finally warming up, mostly high 70s low 60s for the next week. Had a nice day that was 85, plants should start to pick up soon. Seeds are really giving me trouble, going to pop the last 20 or so all at once, at the rate it's going I'll be lucky to get another 4 out of this batch. Looks like I'm going to be buying some mids soon...

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Sorry to hear it bro, but wish you better luck on the new babies to come ;) I got my babies all over the place, split in small patches, so even if I lose some I'm sure some will survive, I'm going to get some deer repelant and spray around next time I go there in a few weeks and remove the fences to keep it stealthy, hopefully by then they will be big enough to handle it :) Peace!

I'm doing the small patch thing this year as well. Between overgrowth and flooding (is a swamp after all) the spots are getting harder and harder to access, but this is exactly what I wanted. I used some fermented urine around the site, hoping it keeps those bastards away, stripped two beautiful plants last year of every leaf, lucky for me they managed to pull through and grew back. My plants are going to overgrow the chicken wire and hide it quite nicely, but I will be using a few regular ground spots without it.

Good luck on your grow!