What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Cannabis beneficial for athletes (Post Workout)?

hanfiking

Dear community, I like to see myself as an athlete and find this subject very interesting so I decided to take a look around the web about what modern science has to say about taking MJ to improve muscle regeneration.
If you are already clued up about Cannabis and its active ingredients and how it works then you probably won’t need to follow up on the quotes but if you do I have provided the root sources anyway.

illpumpyouup.com said:
David Johnson (not his real name) was one of the premier bodybuilders of the mid-to-late 1960s. Although he did use drugs, such as anabolic steroids, to win many of his titles, later in his career he disavowed the use of most drugs with one notable exception. Johnson had a preworkout ritual that he claimed allowed him to train more intensely and concentrate more effectively throughout his training session.
What was his secret? The enigmatic root of his preworkout ritual became evident one day in the back room of a popular Southern California bodybuilding gym. This particular gym had a sauna that was never used, located in the back of the men's locker room. It was the perfect place to engage in surreptitious behavior. What Johnson couldn't conceal, however, was the pungent marijuana fumes.
Johnson smoked marijuana in that room. And he didn't just puff on one "joint," or marijuana cigarette, either. No, Johnson regularly engaged in a marijuana trip, losing his thoughts in the wispy smoke that rose slowly toward the ceiling in his secret alcove. He would emerge after an hour or so and head directly to the gym floor, working out with no apparent ill effects.
Although marijuana is an illegal drug, many athletes, not just bodybuilders, regularly smoke "weed" as a means of relaxation and mind expansion. A long-held tenet of the drug culture is that marijuana emphasizes the mood you're already in. Thus, if you feel good, you'll feel even better after the intoxicating effects of THC, the active component of pot, does its job on your brain.
…blab bla bla…
If all this still doesn't convince you that its use isn't so innocuous, how about marijuana as a fat stimulator? Pot has long been known to cause a peculiar sensation known as "the munchies," in which you have an insatiable desire for junk food after smoking, and it turns out the effect isn't just folklore.
A study done at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine looked at the appetite effects of marijuana on six men for 13 days. On some days the men smoked two joints in the morning and another two in the afternoon. On other days they smoked placebo joints, which didn't contain THC. The men ate three meals a day, but also had unlimited access to candy bars, potato chips, soda and other junk foods.
On the days the men smoked the genuine pot, they ate no additional food at meals but ate enough snacks to consume 40 percent more calories than they ate on placebo days. That led to a six-pound weight gain after 13 days, which was quickly lost when they ceased getting high. The men were also less active on pot days and thus also burned fewer calories.
When you add it all up, even overlooking the fact that marijuana is an illegal drug, this weed has little or nothing to offer bodybuilders or anyone else seeking maximum health and fitness.
Ok so this doesn’t really answer my question although an interesting read it just points out the facts that Marijuana may or may not do some things and assumes that one only smokes weed and overlooks vaporizing.
I am really looking for an article that is able to explain to me that the relaxation effects of Cannabis is beneficial to muscle regeneration after working out seeing as the heart is supposed to beat faster would taking Protein or Creatine or whatever else be transported to the correct regions more effectively and at the same time relax the muscles??

WikiAnsers.com said:
Since Cannabis is a Psycho-Active Stimulant it triggers cannabinoids in the brain. Main method is to smoke it and this in itself has an effect on lungs which can decrease the efficiency of the lungs therefore with the slight possibility of a decreased amount of oxygen being pumped throughout the body.
Other than the lungs the remainder of the effects are to do with the brain, but it also depends on the activity of of the user eg. Activity, Diet, Workout regime etc.
To build the body needs to be in Anabolic Mode which is a "state of building" the body converts to to promote growth, this is acheived by maintaining a high metabolism by comsuming 5-6 meals a day with the correct protein and carbohydrate amounts etc.
The opposite of this is Catabolic, this is acheived when the body has had nothing to eat for over roughly 4-5 hours it starts to rely off the bodys' natural energy. Muscle is alot easier to break down than fat so that will be the bodys' preferred energy source and this is something that you dont want. The aim is to stay in Anabolic mode at all times to promote best optimal muscle growth.
"Couch Potato" like symptoms can occur whilst smoking marijuana but this again itself is dependant upon the user. Some people find that it helps them get into the "right frame of mind" to do such tasks in the gym, and some do not.
Simple answer would be to not smoke it if you feel lazy before going to the gym and when you're not at the gym, smoke all you want its only going to destroy the brain cells after so long.

No they actualy have marijuana (hemp) protein powder and I used to smoke before working out obviously not alot but i always incresed in weight lifting and can bench double my weight
Ok well this user story still doesn’t satisfy me completely as I do not need to know that getting the munchies will aid the body in gaining weight this is quite obvious if one does not move around at the same time. What bugs me most about current studies is that most will say that because Cannabis makes you high it therefore slows down all other functions but actually…
popsci.com said:
Saugy, et al, published a literature review of the topic in the 2006 British Journal of Sports Medicine. Saugy first references US data suggesting that 16 percent of US adults aged 18-25 reported cannabis use in the past month (again, sample size should not be a problem for any future research). The paper refers to cannabis as an ‘ergolytic’ drug, which impairs performance, rather than a ‘ergogenic’ drug that would enhance it. A referenced study showed that 12 healthy adults cycled to exhaustion in less time after smoking 10 minutes earlier. Other studies have shown that THC (the ingredient that gets you high) increases heart rate and blood pressure while decreasing cardiac output and psychomotor activity.
Again the research focuses on pre workout cannabis ingestion, but looking at the last sentence referring to heart rate would mean that one could keep a steady high blood pressure insuring that the anaerobic effect that was achieved during the work out would continue; to transport hormones and whatever protein shake or creatine to the muscles quicker while at the same time relaxing them and reducing cramps spasms and inflammation.
heretohelp.bc.ca said:
Research shows that cannabis can help relieve pain, nausea, muscle spasms, anxiety, depression, fatigue and insomnia. It can also promote weight gain and appetite. These effects make cannabis useful for treating many different health conditions and related symptoms.
TheBody.com said:
For thousands of years, marijuana has been a recreational, ceremonial, or medicinal substance. Queen Victoria took it to ease her menstrual cramps. It's been used as a painkiller, sedative, anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxant, anticonvulsant (to control seizures) and even as an asthma remedy.

This is a very good quote, highlighting what we knew already, but from this we are able to deduce that the cramps which are a common side effect from lifting heavy weights and the subsequent inflammation caused by the torn muscle fibres can be eased by the muscle relaxing properties.

The problem with finding good information is that most tests and reports even recent studies, all mainly focus on the carcinogenic effects related to smoking and not the effect of the drug when vaporizing.

On a final note it is probable beneficial to know how muscle regeneration works before I open the floor to discussions. The following quote describes the process adequately:

cell.com said:
Adult skeletal muscle generates force in a controlled and directed manner through the contraction of highly specialized, postmitotic, multinucleated myofibers. Life-long muscle function relies on maintenance and regeneration of myofibers through a highly regulated process beginning with activation of normally quiescent muscle precursor cells and proceeding with formation of proliferating progenitors that fuse to generate differentiated myofibers. In this review, we describe the historical basis and current evidence for the identification of satellite cells as adult muscle stem cells, critically evaluate contributions of other cells to adult myogenesis, and summarize existing data regarding the origins, genetic markers, and molecular regulation of satellite cells in normal, diseased, and aged muscle.
For more information visit
Muscle regeneration
Also this article in IC has numerous links to further research related to cannabis and its anti-inflammatory properties as well as other case studies like Effects of smoked marijuana on food intake and body weight...
:tiphat:

El Timbo

Interesting thread - have you found any more relevant studies? Cannabis helps me find the mind-muscle connection which is good for bodybuilding style isolation movements. I don't like to use it before heavy squats or other compound movements though.

hanfiking

Unfortunately, there has not ever been any conclusive evidence that would suggest that the properties of cannabis have any physical effect beyond a subtle molecular shift which influences the organism on the whole as much as a mg of water more in your coffee. With regards to mental stimulation, we all know it has a powerful effect, but we tend to emphasise things that we can feel and project them onto everything else. nothing ever came of this effort.

Latest posts

Latest posts