Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Security & Legal Issues > TOR Cracked = UNSAFE!

Thread Title Search    
Click for great deals at Seedbay
 TOR Cracked = UNSAFE! Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Al Botross
IC Mag Supporter

Al Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivor
Thumbs down TOR Cracked = UNSAFE!

What if we were to tell you there was a place online where you could buy ecstasy, marijuana and LSD, no questions asked?You'd say, Right on! (We know our readers).
Federal authorities, unfortunately, weren't as gung-ho about this particular operation, and today they announced that the so-called Farmers Market online drug bazaar has been taken down:

Gymeka Williams, a U.S. Attorney's Office spokesperson in L.A., tells the Weekly that the ring was taken down with the help of an undercover agent who "infiltrated" the operation in Los Angeles.
Eight people involved in the ring were arrested yesterday and today based on federal charges that they sold more than $1 million worth of illicit drugs through the online system to 3,000 customers in 34 countries and 50 states.

Ecstasy.None of the defendants is based in L.A.
As part of the bust, feds seized "hashish, LSD and MDMA, as well as an indoor psychotropic mushroom grow, and 3 indoor marijuana grows," according to a U.S. Attorney's Office statement.
Authorities say the ring accepted PayPal for purchases (was there a customer satisfaction guarantee too?).
A two-year federal investigation brought down the scheme, which the statement alleges went like this:
The on-line marketplaces handled all communications between the sources of supply and customers. For these services, the operators charged a commission based upon the value of the order. Customers of the on-line marketplaces have been identified in every one of the states of the United States and the District of Columbia and in approximately 34 other countries ... The on-line marketplaces have multiple sources of supply offering various controlled substances, including LSD, MDMA (ecstasy), fentanyl, mescaline, ketamine, DMT, and high-end marijuana. Between January 2007 and October 2009 alone, defendants ... processed approximately 5,256 on-line orders for controlled substances valued at approximately $1,041,244 via the on-line controlled substances marketplaces.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2...arket_bust.php

Feds say the crew operated on the TOR network, which promises anonymity (guess not) through "a circuit of encrypted connections," according to the U.S. Attorney's statement.
Each of the defendants faces a charge of conspiracy to distribute controlled substance, which carries a possible life sentence, and money laundering, a 20-year offense.
United States Attorney André Birotte Jr., the federal government's top prosecutor in L.A:
Illegal narcotics trafficking now reaches every corner of our world, including our home computers. But the reach of the law is just as long ...
Read the federal indictment:
Willemsindictment Filed.045
Glimmered the white moonshine."

`God save thee, ancient Mariner,
From the fiends that plague thee thus! -
Why look'st thou so?' -"With my crossbow
I shot the Albatross."
Al Botross jest offline   Quote

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Nonphixion

Nonphixion will become famous soon enough
That's unfortunate.

Reading the indictment it says this is for a web store called "The Farmers Market" and they were responsible for trading 1,500 oz of marijuana through 3,000 sales. 30k hits of Lucy. 148 grams of Molly powder. And distributed 350 units of fentanyl.

Increase Your Brix Level 12+. Watch This Video: Click Here!

Search EBay for a "Brix Refractometer."
Nonphixion jest offline   Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
igrowone

igrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud of
Tor cracked, or was it other methods? the feds will never tell, you can count on that
they did talk about an infiltrator, the human element is usually the weak link
but thinking about it, you wouldn't have to be too fancy, just start making orders and backtracking the delivery system
igrowone jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Duplicate

Duplicate is a splendid one to beholdDuplicate is a splendid one to beholdDuplicate is a splendid one to beholdDuplicate is a splendid one to beholdDuplicate is a splendid one to beholdDuplicate is a splendid one to beholdDuplicate is a splendid one to beholdDuplicate is a splendid one to behold
^ I agree. I don't think the technology was cracked per se, but I'm no expert. I wonder if the buyers will get in trouble.
Duplicate jest offline   Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Al Botross
IC Mag Supporter

Al Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivorAl Botross is a survivor
I too agree but after reading a few sources it appears the weak link in their chain was accepting PAYPAL. Bitcoin or the gold exchanges are the preferred secure method.
Glimmered the white moonshine."

`God save thee, ancient Mariner,
From the fiends that plague thee thus! -
Why look'st thou so?' -"With my crossbow
I shot the Albatross."
Al Botross jest offline   Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
igrowone

igrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud of
they took Paypal? this is hysterical, must have thought they were going be the Amazon of the online drug trade
igrowone jest offline   Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
SS-

SS- has a spectacular aura aboutSS- has a spectacular aura about
Yep. I'd put my money on they got busted because of the forms of currency they accepted. Bitcoin is the ONLY way IMO for that much traffic. There are a few others, just thats the safest widely accepted mainstream route IMO.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
IE2KS_KUSH

Fucking morons...but they did get away w/ it for a couple years, so what's that tell you about law enforcement...fucking morons...how do you get tor was cracked from this though? And I don't know enough, but would it be possible for law enforcement to use tor also and monitor the traffic through it's relay, or for them to simply set up a ton of relays? I honestly don't know how that works, so forgive me if my question is really dumb..

Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Harry Gypsna
Dirty hippy Bastard

Location: Outside BodyShop, with a Tin Whistle and a dog on a piece of string
Harry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivor
These muppets were using snitch-pal, and had undercover amongst them... Nothing to do with Tor

On a budget?? Check these out
DIY Thermostatic fan speed Controller

My homemade Aerocloner, MK2 version

all posts made by this screen name are absoloutely true All pictures are mine and i dont give a f u c k what your law says.......
Disclaimers wont protect you when the piggies come a callin
Harry Gypsna jest online   Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
Pepé The Grower

Pepé The Grower is a splendid one to beholdPepé The Grower is a splendid one to beholdPepé The Grower is a splendid one to beholdPepé The Grower is a splendid one to beholdPepé The Grower is a splendid one to beholdPepé The Grower is a splendid one to beholdPepé The Grower is a splendid one to behold
Hum......just found this on the web,what do you think?

Quote:
Introduction / Executive Summary
This paper is intended as an overview of some of the direct
attacks on the Tor anonymous communications network;
especially of interest are those that can be used by law
enforcement agencies to unmask criminals. A blackhat approach
is also taken, looking at how simple it would be to avoid being
identified; this blackhat approach is both more fun to study, and
also very relevant for determining how reliable the
“fingerprinting” of a user would be, and whether it is reliable
enough to be presented in court.
"peeling the onion:unmasking tor users"

Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
whodare
Banned

whodare has a reputation beyond reputewhodare has a reputation beyond reputewhodare has a reputation beyond reputewhodare has a reputation beyond reputewhodare has a reputation beyond reputewhodare has a reputation beyond reputewhodare has a reputation beyond reputewhodare has a reputation beyond reputewhodare has a reputation beyond reputewhodare has a reputation beyond reputewhodare has a reputation beyond repute
After reading i think it says avoid java script, flash etc.

Tor bundle give you their web browser which disables those scripts. Also you can firewall your system to allow only Tor traffic.

Essentially they find out your real ip by exploiting holes in java and flash.

The rest was Chinese to me
whodare jest offline   Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
crazybear

crazybear is a splendid one to beholdcrazybear is a splendid one to beholdcrazybear is a splendid one to beholdcrazybear is a splendid one to beholdcrazybear is a splendid one to beholdcrazybear is a splendid one to beholdcrazybear is a splendid one to behold
I'm sure I'm paranoid but, the government has a lot of technologies available & very smart people to use those technologies , so thinking your safe posting or doing business on the internet or emailing your taking a risk ! I'm probably a fool for being registered here & posting!!!!!!!!
crazybear jest offline   Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
rastanthology

rastanthology is on a distinguished road
well tor is not even close to safe on its own... most hackers use tor plus a second encryption and sometimes even a third one... if they only used tor they where really stupid...

Posted with Mary's Diary
rastanthology jest offline   Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
Harry Gypsna
Dirty hippy Bastard

Location: Outside BodyShop, with a Tin Whistle and a dog on a piece of string
Harry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivorHarry Gypsna is a survivor
There is a video on youtube with the Tor fellas, discussing the methods governments(Egypt, Iran etc) are using to block tor traffic, and the countermeasures the Tor network is using in response.

On a budget?? Check these out
DIY Thermostatic fan speed Controller

My homemade Aerocloner, MK2 version

all posts made by this screen name are absoloutely true All pictures are mine and i dont give a f u c k what your law says.......
Disclaimers wont protect you when the piggies come a callin
Harry Gypsna jest online   Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
40AmpstoFreedom

40AmpstoFreedom is a survivor40AmpstoFreedom is a survivor40AmpstoFreedom is a survivor40AmpstoFreedom is a survivor40AmpstoFreedom is a survivor40AmpstoFreedom is a survivor40AmpstoFreedom is a survivor40AmpstoFreedom is a survivor40AmpstoFreedom is a survivor40AmpstoFreedom is a survivor40AmpstoFreedom is a survivor
Great info here hope some more computer tech's pitch in with explanations and reasoning.

Click here for a link to all of my grows
40AmpstoFreedom jest offline   Quote