What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grapefruit-orange grail project v 2.0 - The refining process begins

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hallo grapefruit addicted,
with extreme pleasure I want to take a second journey with you all into this sweet mellow sea of tangerine and grapefruit I begun to sail a few years ago.
For those new to this subject and willing to take a peep to how it all started, take a look at the first thread of mine on this.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=206616

A short summary:
This second trip represent the result of my further investigations on the citrous world of smell and taste found in cannabis.
My first grail and the strain that changed my point of view was Nycd from Soma. Still the amsterdam version, when carefully selected is one of the best out there.
Diesel varieties are common there, but there are a lot of fakes and bad grown stash around. Obtaining the same stuff from seeds, from this seeds, is difficult anyway. It is possible, but difficult. So many generations were offered in these years, that this genes seemed a bit watered down with time. But I recently bumped into a new round of Nycd that expressed soo well the amterdam flavour. I nearly gave up this road to find that taste that I cannot believe! :)
Meanwhile I have found some real gems and keepers through the way of nycdhaze and her backcross and F2s. Nycd can express really different tones of grapefruitness. From bitter to sweet, from acrid, to spicy diesel or rhubarb (tnx Dramamine!). All those are amazing and worth to be puffed, as they have a beautiful quality to linger in your mouth for long time. Potency is there all the time both in indica and sativa versions. I love this strain. It's a real challenge, but so rewarding. Tnx my friend Soma! not exactly for begnners.

During these years I tried to follow different path to achieve my goal.
Tried grapefruit from female seeds, grapefruit diesel and dynamite from next generation seeds and C99 from Gypsy, Mosca's C99 and crosses, with different results. A lot of them showed some problems or traits I didn't like particularly, so were discarded somehow. Some were kept for other projects.
A beautiful keeper was Grapefruit diesel (male) with his vigour and super smell. A beautiful male was also NYalfa. I kept this one for 3 years, but now's lost. I have lots of seeds from him. Very sativa.
A super strain I had the luck to meet was Agent Orange from Subcool.
A total new citrous to me. Strong sweet orange leaning stuff. Fell in love at first toke!
And now one of my really favourites for all daysmoke. Different phenos all precious and tasty! Both expression of parents but orange all the time.

I consider this orange velvet such a pearl, that I coulnd't help in crossing and experimenting with this one. And this led to the agent orange 'open source' project, still ongoing.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4932398#post4932398

From the massive feedback I had from last HTCC and ITCC I decided to go deeper and more seriously into the citrous subject and test out ao siblings and exploring new grapefruiness.
A lot of friends contribuited to this new round. Tnx to all! Sharing is caring.

This winter I started something like 50 new seeds. Very diffrent kinds.
From grapefruit department: NYCDS1, Nycdhaze and Nycd crosses, Sweet pink grapefruit S1 and SPG x glo bx (tnx a LOT Dimodz, my friend!), Icecool from Sweet seeds (Tnx to Stra!), sweet tooth #3 freebies (tnx to Clarence, fuzzy red muppet :), Mosca's sweet tooth freebies, Grapefruit x blueberry from Chimera seeds and a special female from an unlucky male round (5/1)of Jennifer Walters (tnx to Dr.D!).
From orange department a load of Ao test siblings from the project, some C+ from Chimera, some Dutch Royal orange.
I'm so, so sorry that I haven't had the pleasure to grab some Sotf SWT ibl.
This should be extreme dank and a good ingredient for my collection.
My friend, next drop, next time I'm in front of the queue!
Here some picts of the beginning:

picture.php

Some time passed meanwhile to veg, sex, select and flower them. The learning curve of my growing skills is still going up. I'm experimenting with real recycling organic. I love this ecofriendly way of grow. This is how I'm sure to get the best smells and tastes out of my weed.
The results so far are impressive. here some picts.
NycdS1

picture.php

picture.php

A perfect grapefruit smell. I love it.

Icecool

picture.php

An easier plant, very very close to Nycd. I should have known it before!

SPGS1
picture.php

A champion so far. Really curious about this one. It should be a S1 of the famous SPG clone. Interesting was that out of 5 seeds, popped out 3 males?!? and really nice ones! This is one of the females. Smells impressive.
Nothing comparable to Female seeds grapefruit.

I'm at 5-6th week now and smells are coming out profusely.

mack 10

Veteran
^^yum yum, Great project Dr P. Will be interesting to see what you come up with.Good luck on your search.( i too am growing an SPG type, it's SPG bx1 x Herijuana, aka Dirty Harry by Motarebel) Mack.

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the other SPG:
picture.php

And C+ with on the back some gf x bb:

picture.php

A lot of surpises came also from the orange side.
With extreme pleasure I found that the orange trait is passed from my selected male to the siblings. So all my agent orange cross so far have this unmistakenable smell differently mixed in the mother's original scents.
Resin quantity is enhanced and vigor in growth and shape of the colas too. There are some variations, but I'm really happy overall.
Can't wait to smoke them.
Here some Purple wreck x ao:

picture.php

and some chocolope x ao:

picture.php

Smells are unbelievable. Difficult to find words. I need to smoke them first to tell.

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some Bubblegum x ao:

picture.php

some nyghaze x ao:

picture.php

and sour d x ao:

picture.php

picture.php

note the long cola type of this one. Sour d is one of he only one to dominate on ao smell.
Seeing how it develops and after smelling the C+ I'm really beginnig to think that orange velvet is actually california orange, or at least her outcross.
C+ is made of genuine cal. orange aeric77 x blueberry.
Man the smell is identical.
Same type, same funk. With different tones around but it's the same. From picts I've seen they grow really close. A new love is born for me. California orange!
It' got a bit late.
I'll explain about more varieties soon and reveal some breeding project for future. Grapefruit and orange have already begun to mix together...
Tnx for your time guys.
Keep it grapefruit!
Dr.P

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow truly inspiring! Thx for sharing Dr.P, may I ask a ?

What do you select for in nycd to get best citrus pheno? By smell in early veg? Leaf formation?node spacing?

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks good to me . we need smellovision LOL

Oh yess man...:biggrin: LOL. I've dreamt about this tool since I was a kid. Always thought how invent it... maybe in the future... Sure grapefruit addon will be the first release... LOL

Wow truly inspiring! Thx for sharing Dr.P, may I ask a ?

What do you select for in nycd to get best citrus pheno? By smell in early veg? Leaf formation?node spacing?

all of this traits. Look for indica, large leaves. some double dentent pattern is present sometimes. smell is apparent since first weeks, changes with maturity, and above all with curing. very greasy hollow stem, large calyxes, large flowers, both short and long internodes anyway. :)

G

guest3871

Hello Dr. Pentothal,

I just wanted to add, if you are looking for other citrus flavours, TGA Chernobyl can have a very Lime-ish tangy smell.
A very nice smell, it might blend well with other citrus.

budino

Indica Lover
Veteran
Hi growers!

Few weeks ago I received some beans from a friend crossed by the doc. It’s a cross of Agent Orange x Sonic Fly.
Both the ladies born on 04/03, and since 06/04 they are in blooming stage.
I grow in soil in organic way with 400w cab.
One of them looks mostly indica, with short and stout structure and large fan leaves; the other is a bit long stretching with a thin figure.
Here’s few shots of the girls.

Pheno indica:

picture.php

picture.php

Pheno sativa:

picture.php

picture.php

Hope you enjoy.

Good vibes!

massud

Stealth Grower
Veteran
Hi dr.P! Your research is very interesting! I love diesel taste but I can't grow some of these hybrids 'cause they do too smell! I suggest you some strains of Emerald Triangle seeds to find some grape or diesel strain..I smoke some of their creations and they're very very good! I'll follow your 3d! Hola..:wave:

:smoweed:

D

dramamine

Ah, can't wait to see where the refining takes you, doc. Amazing pictures once again. The Sour D x AO and the Chocolope x AO make my mouth water. Those must be just delicious smelling. High hopes for these projects, no doubt. You've got a lot of folks attention with these killer crosses. Full speed ahead, my friend..

homebrew420

Boy those diesel ao cross look spectacular. great big flowers and sounds as thoguh flavora nd smell will not be lacking. Job well done on these. And given what you said about the Orange flavor/smell was carried over to offspring is great news. Might have to buckle and go buy some. Thanks for the info DR

Peace

budino

Indica Lover
Veteran
Hello everyone!
Some shot of my two Agent Orange x Sonic Fly crossed by the doc at 6th week of bloom.

Pheno indica:
picture.php

Pheno sativa:
picture.php

See ya!

G

guest3871

Hi Dr. Penthotal (did you mean Pentothal?) lol, sorry,

You are doing some nice things it looks like. :)
Do you mind me asking if any of your new creations might make their way to seedbay?

Thanks.
Good luck on your quest.

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to budino again.
eh eh...
Wonderful job my friend. These SF x AO will reward you soon...
Very interesting! Let us know some details on smell.... :)

I recently harvested a new round.
From some pretest I'm so pleased with the results.
You can see some picts I've updated in the 'orange crossing open source project' thread here from the Ao crosses and some more detailed infos.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=231115&page=3

Here's sum selections:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

But I have some more gems to talk about here. All the grapefruit side.
For those who drool on picts, take a peep at my albums, there are some more there. Soon some more explanations.
I'm going to transplant now and dig my hands in soil, see you soon.
Dr.P

Latest posts

Latest posts