What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4x4 tent set up

hey there everybody. Steppin up a bit from a tiny little cab to a 4x4 tent. I am at this point planning to run a 600 hps. Heres the deal, ive done my research to find out what i think i can set it up for, as im trying to stay in the $800-1000 range on set up. I am planning to run a 12 plant sea of green. 4 groups of 3 plants, all staggered 2 weeks apart. So after the first 8 weeks is complete, it will be 3 plants out every two weeks. Im looking for the best set up to make this happen at a reasonable price. It does not need to be scrubbed at this point, but a scrubber will probably be added within 6 months or so. Air cooled hood preferably, unless temperatures can be managed without. Let me know what you guys think

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Get a 4x4 Secret Jardin, a bulb-ballast-reflector package and a 6x24 phresh filter
and your ready to go. Maybe 6-800 depending on the package.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
You will pay off all the equipment off after the first run, and maybe some extra money on the side if you so choose. As for equipment you should also get a small fan to clip onto one of the support poles. Air circulation in the tent is important. And make sure to get a fan speed controller because you won't need it on full power.

-Funk

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Oh yeah, A six inch centrifugal fan and a small oscillating fan...

thanks a lot guys! so after doing some more research, im considering the possibility of a 1000 watt dimmable set up. The one i am looking at has 3 settings, 50% 75% and 100%, so 500, 750 and 1000 watts. From what i can tell, the 1000 watt setting would be extremely difficult, near impossible to cool. So my question is, do you think that the 75% setting would be too hot for the 4x4 tent?? im trying to think a bit more long term, because as soon as i have the means, i will be upscaling again, and a 1000 watt HPS would be a nice start

oneshot

thanks a lot guys! so after doing some more research, im considering the possibility of a 1000 watt dimmable set up. The one i am looking at has 3 settings, 50% 75% and 100%, so 500, 750 and 1000 watts. From what i can tell, the 1000 watt setting would be extremely difficult, near impossible to cool. So my question is, do you think that the 75% setting would be too hot for the 4x4 tent?? im trying to think a bit more long term, because as soon as i have the means, i will be upscaling again, and a 1000 watt HPS would be a nice start

I would stick with the 600w and invest in a better reflector/exhaust/filter/ballast setup instead of some fancy dimmable light you MAY use and WON'T be using to it's full potential in any situation.

Keep it simple, stoner. :tiphat: GL with everything and remember the knowledge here is beyond imagination.

Iraganji

I made my own 4x4 tent. went with an over sized exhaust fan (valueline 8") used with a speed dial. A quantum 600w ballast with Ushio OptiRed bulb and a blockbuster hood. I vegged on the 75% setting and flowered with 100%.

Here is my 4x4 Veg tent.... cost me $1000 even.

4x4 Tent from Virtual Sun
8" Blockbuster
4" Valueline Fan (exhaust)
6x16" Phresh
8" Valueline (Light Cooling)
Mercury 4 for temp contro'
Solarmax 7200K Veg Bulb
Quantum 1k Ballast
Progrip hangers

I was wary of the Valueline Fans because they are cheap cheap (4" is $50!) but I can say I'm pretty impressed with their quality for the price. They move more air than my beloved Fantech FG fans at half the cost. The only issue I have found is that the Valueline "hum" quite a bit louder than the Fantech when slowed to speeds below 50%, probably due to lower quality motors. As for balancing, they vibrate a little more than the Fantech also (which are absolutely perfectly balanced), but for half the cost, I was willing to try them out since they were "just" for a veg tent anyways, I'm keeping them.

Right now with ambient temps about 70F the tent stays at 75F with the 1k ballast on 100% and the Mercury 4 spins up the fan for about 10 seconds every few minutes, so it still has a lot of cooling power left in it.

I always use way over sized filters, hence the 400CFM rated 6x16" Phresh on a 170CFM fan. In my flower tents I go even further to a 550CFM filter on the 170CFM fan. Phresh does make 150 and 200CFM models, but they are only 20-30$ cheaper than the bigger ones, so why not be safe?

Attachments

• 2012-03-14 14-09-43 892.jpg
    2012-03-14 14-09-43 892.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 7

Double F

600 is not enough for a 4x4 in my opinion....the extra 100 bucks for a 1kw will increase your yield significantly.

good job spending the extra money and gettin the best first...a digital, dimmable 1kw ballast will serve you right. if you feel like the 1kw is too much, or its a hot day and the tents running hot, dimming them is the shit. i take them down to 600 in the final week of flowering just because the trics have already set for the most part, and heat stress effects on the nug will outweigh any increased resin production.

and when you are running lots of lights, each 400 watt savings adds up into thousands of kwbeing saved, this is important for cali growers who pay exhorbant rates..

Latest posts

Latest posts