What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why so few Bato Bucket grows?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am planning on going back to hydro for my new setup, and am thinking very seriously about using Bato buckets. After searching the site for grows using this technique, it's become pretty obvious that it isn't very popular around here! Everything that I read (elsewhere) says that it is a very effective, time-tested, and simple system. What the hell am I missing?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes I have. The Bato buckets are a similar concept, but have been around much longer. They are apparently used very widely in Holland for commercial growing, and can be automated with a top drip system. They have a similar "reservoir" section in the bottom with a drain hole above it, but instead of being DTW, they recirculate back to a main reservoir.

YES A FUCKING BATO BUCKET THREAD.

No but really, always wanted to try them out. They look so clean and nice when they are setup properly. A dude named pimp_juice had a HUGE grow with bato buckets, all indoor, automatic res doser, whole shabang. Look it up and post it here yea?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a look at the system. It is recirculating hydro, with the hempy bucket reservoir in the bottom for power outages, etc. Pretty simple, and very inexpensive if you build one up from parts.

I found Pimp Juice's thread - it's one of about four on here. I also found a post by Heath Robinson (different site) extolling their virtues.

picture.php

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
im still not seeing how this is different except its like a kit you buy?

this is how recirc hydro works. bucket with hole 2+ inches up from bottom of bucket. roots go inside. drip fed from top, drains to res and recirculates. hempy takes away the recirc. and fills the res with perlite. if you are going to run a drip fed recirc hydro then wouldn't filling the res with perlite just leave less room for roots and also add more shit to clog your lines? that perlite dust travels.

in recirc hydro in the event of a power outage you have 2 inches of water and the natural humidity in the bucket to keep the roots for a while just like hempy. minus the perlite really.

im just not seeing the difference i guess.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice setup, Iboga. Anything that I need to be cautious about?

Mr.Tortoise

Ya I have a few hempy buckets going right now. I did hempies just because I had all the stuff for them lying around. Also i'm on tables so water poring out of the hole isn't a big deal and just goes back to the reservoir anyways. A good friend of mine and a great grower really likes bato buckets. A friend and I did DWC vs. Hempies awhile back and hempies did better than the DWC. I was just watering the hempies once a day. I think if you did bato's watering more frequently you would be hard pressed to find anything that produced better. It is one of the most reliable systems.

gregor_mendel

It is worth noting that these are typically run to waste.

That is is how PimpJuice did it, and that is how the greenhouse tomato growers do it.

Dialed in (which is difficult) run to waste uses less water and nutrient than any system that does reservoir changes.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
It is worth noting that these are typically run to waste.

Ok, now I'm confused. I thought the DIFFERENCE between the Bato Bucket and the Hempy Bucket was recycling to the res vs. DTW.

Someone clear this up for me, please? :thank you:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok, now I'm confused. I thought the DIFFERENCE between the Bato Bucket and the Hempy Bucket was recycling to the res vs. DTW.

Someone clear this up for me, please? :thank you:

I think that the biggest difference between them is the automated feed on the Batos. In my research, I have seen installations that were DTW, but the bulk of what I have run across are recycling. My impression of the two is that the hempies are just the Americanized, simplified version of what is apparently the most commonly used hydroponic system in Europe.

D

DHF

Ok guys.....Bato buckets are DTW , but if yas DIY `em to recirculating , then yas gotta constantly monitor PH and EC/PPM`s cuz as fast hydro plants eat , ppm`s go down , and ph goes up....gradually......but.....

In a recirculating setup with ppm`s droppin and ph risin with a dialed setup , the runoff goes back into the mix dilutin ppm`s but raisin the ph , so what`s always been the rule of thumb to prevent imbalances and lockouts is ta flush with 1/2 strength juice and top off/add back till PH and EC/PPM`s are back within the proper numbers ftw.....

Fast Hydro ain`t all it`s cracked up ta be , but I rocked it for a long time , and tryta help all who take the dive......

Just don`t put all your eggs in 1 basket waitin for windfall profits from undialed setups and genetics....

Everything old is new again.......Haven`t heard bout bato buckets in many a yr.......

As long as yas follow the rules and pay attention to detail hydro can yield big....but....

Do your homework and get ready ta kill some plants.....Murdered 1000`s in the path to Nirvana.....Know your bitches.....

Peace...DHF....:ying:....

Peace...DHF....:ying:.....

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Actually, I'm not really after "fast hydro", don't sell, and damn sure don't profit. I'm just tired of screwing around with bags of soilless mix and all of the necessary amendments, getting enough material mixed up, moved in, moved out, disposed of, trying to find nutrients that work with both my water and blumats, etc, etc.

I need to be able to leave my grow on a regular basis for 10 days at a time. If using a large reservoir with batos is still too volatile from a pH and ec standpoint, then I can always go to a supplemental reservoir and do DTW or try out the Intellidose pH doser. I used to do flood and drain years ago, and the bato buckets appear to be a good bit simpler and more suited to my needs. We'll see!

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Man, I just looked at that Intellidose after you mentioned it... looks pretty amazing. But it costs a bit.

Latest posts

Latest posts