What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing up in the tops of trees.

greenwithenvy

Veteran
I have no experience with this but would like to learn alot more about it. Are there any treads here about Growing in trees? Ive searched a little bit but couldnt find anything. Thanks GWE

M

MummyCat

I like to use 5 gallon buckets because they have a sweet handle for hanging them, and I like to hang them in buckeye trees because they match the foliage well during veg and buckeye's drop there leaves when its time to bud. good luck :)

greenwithenvy

Veteran
Come on Guys I know more than one person is growing in trees. Thanks Mummy. I plan on using 5 gallon buckets as well. Did you water them somehow? or Just let them be. I was thinking 1/4 in black tubing and winding it down the tree. Im thinking maybe theres a battery powered pump to shoot nutes it up the tubing to the bucket? Im also gonna be right next to the water so easy access to that. Thanks

DTFuqua

Find some green cordage and lower them down for watering. Or maybe hide a camo colored (DIY paint the tubing) tubing where you could get to it for watering. Use those gel pellets to hold moisture longer for fewer waterings. Also realize you would need to blow through the lines to make sure all you nutrients and water went to the plants and none is available to run out the bottom end to show a wet spot where there shouldn't be any and lead to the likely discovery of your buckets.

niggle

Look up water polymers they will help hold water, and wrap the buckets in burlap and add mulch, the problems with tree top is watering.

OhighO

This seems like a major pia to do for a whole season.

Fwiw chopper also look for plants in trees

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
over the years, when planning outdoor grows, several guys have wanted to do this, ive sat thro hours of waffle about pipes, pumps and clips, and loads of stonned enthusiam but theyve never done it and, with hindsight, they were just stonned fantasists. Nowdays if it comes up i just blank the idea and usually the person too because i know whats going to happen.
Go for it, put the pics up and prove me wrong
cheers
e

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I know the threads exist here. some time ago I read through a thread where the grower used big totes in the trees. I believe he climbed the tree to water them. Sorry dont remember the posters handle. I wouldnt use cords to raise/lower the buckets because they would cut into the tree over time and damage it. cheers

waveguide

Veteran
can't tell you more than i heard of people doing this in humboldt in the 80's. guess it must have worked because i also heard that the sheriff used to check out everyone's property (politely on each persons birthday..)

DTFuqua

you don't just wrap the cordage around the tree limb. It would possibly wear the cord through raising it up and down over a season. Get some small pulleys fro lowes and paint them camo. Way back when, I used to grow in Fl. and the only plants that didn't get ripped off were the few I put up in trees.

30years

hi
you want to wire a chicken wire basket in a crotch and line it with plastic. fill that with media and thats your pot. 20-30 gallons of media minimum. locate your feeder tank on a flat above the height of the plants and gravity will do the work. run your drip lines up the side of the tree like its a vine.
plants with a nice open branching structure like og kush outside will work great. nothing too leafy and clustered that require a lot of work as you shouldnt have to go up and down to service them.
best,
30y

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Come to think of it, I used to work w/ a guy who did this. He never yielded very much. I dont think he evr watered or fed them. He just checked on them infrequently so he wouldnt have to climb up to dead plants at harvest. The last time year I worked w/ him, he did it in a swamp adjacent to a municipal airport. Never read that they were found. Good luck, Id like to see it done well. cheers

supermanlives

Veteran
i put some plants in a camo hunting tree stand once. what a pain in the ass to water. never again the treees are for squirrels. i experimented with rechargable fire extinguishers that are stainless and can be filled with water and pressurized. never finished the experiment but it showed promise for me.

M

MummyCat

I mix water polymers into the soil if I cant get water to them very much, but I like to build a spring box somewhere above my plants and run drippers to them if I can. Pee all over your buckets so the animals stay away from them

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wouldn't be spring time without someone re-posting this question again :blowbubbles:
Enjoy the outdoor season this year friends, i think it's gonna be a perfect year around here !

stc9357

Me and a friend went through this idea not in contact with him anymore so he might be doing it. Looks like a lat of hard work but it eventually pays off.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i'd like to know how you get gravity fed blumats to work high up in those trees???
that has me piqued.

WasntMe

i'd like to know how you get gravity fed blumats to work high up in those trees???
that has me piqued.

The rez is even higher in the tree apparently
[YOUTUBEIF]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkoVeS0O40[/YOUTUBEIF]

[YOUTUBEIF]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbACWu0ytI0[/YOUTUBEIF]

[YOUTUBEIF]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peZXbmYGdpQ[/YOUTUBEIF]

I say leave this to the monkeys ....have fun trying though.