Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > My Tamisium Extractor TE-175 Rundown

Thread Title Search    
Click for more info about Red Beard Extractors
 My Tamisium Extractor TE-175 Rundown Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
TokeD

TokeD is on a distinguished road
My Tamisium Extractor TE-175 Rundown

So i wanted to show you bho heads what i'm using to extract my oils with. I'm currently lined up to get some N-Butane with airgas here in the next two weeks and will be jumping off the power5x. But anyhow, figured most you who have been waiting on the edge of your seats for a good in depth look at this thing can now see.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKwXDLkkio4

Last edited by gaiusmarius; 06-26-2012 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: embedding fix
TokeD jest offline   Quote

Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Flying High

Flying High has a spectacular aura aboutFlying High has a spectacular aura about
I watched that just the other day... Excellent demonstration!!! Very Strong Work!

When I realized the TE-175 was under $1500, I about shit myself for not having ordered one last fall. I gleaned so much good information from your video; I will be watching it again before I receive my unit and do the first run.

I have a couple questions... was that video edited for length or was that the approximate time to complete a run? Basically, how much time does a run take from start to finished product? Excluding the inevitable vacuum purge; which may not be required if you recover 100% of your solvent, I would think.
Do you feel the secondary vacuum purge is useful after removing the oil from the Tamisian and achieving a 100%recovery?
I don't remember if you scraped the extraction vessel or used a carrier like ethanol or hexane; either way, what is your preferred method for removing the extract after Butane recovery?
Does the carrier/method change with intended use? I am most concerned with creating consistently amazing product for use on the Ti nail and/or Omnicron style vape. I will focus on edibles, tinctures, and more alchemy down the road...

I have to say, I am basically sold. From the safety aspect alone it is worth the $1500 or whatever it costs delivered; at least for me. This process also adds in a lot more control and the repeatability that comes from precision equipment.

I really love the way it utilizes heating and cooling opposing containers to achieve varying results; such as pressurized butane injection, or even a controlled butane soak. The option to use 99.9% pure Butane is also a very strong selling point for me. It seems really easy to gauge the amount of residual butane in a finished product based on the amount of recovered solvent; at least in a perfect world.
One last question, do you know if you can purchase 99.9% N-Butane from Airgas in less than the nearly 5gallon tanks the Tamisian website provides part#'s for? It seems like a lot of tane if it recovers so well; and only holds 700ml of n-Butane. I would love to find another Tamisian owner to go in on with in the purchase of the nearly 5gallons of 99.9% n-Butane if that is the smallest tank they sell. Needing less than one quart of the 5 gallons; I feel almost suicidal sitting on more than 4gallons of liquid tane. Call me a pussy; but I take this shit seriously, no amount of BHO is worth the consequences of an explosion.

Hopefully a soon to be tamisian owner
H

Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Trichgnomes

Trichgnomes has a spectacular aura aboutTrichgnomes has a spectacular aura aboutTrichgnomes has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
One last question, do you know if you can purchase 99.9% N-Butane from Airgas in less than the nearly 5gallon tanks the Tamisian website provides part#'s for? It seems like a lot of tane if it recovers so well; and only holds 700ml of n-Butane. I would love to find another Tamisian owner to go in on with in the purchase of the nearly 5gallons of 99.9% n-Butane if that is the smallest tank they sell. Needing less than one quart of the 5 gallons; I feel almost suicidal sitting on more than 4gallons of liquid tane. Call me a pussy; but I take this shit seriously, no amount of BHO is worth the consequences of an explosion.

Pretty sure 4.5 gallons is the smallest quanity they will sell. Also known as a 20 lb. tank, it is the same size and shape that would one hook up to a backyard barbecue. As long as you store it outside, it is completely safe. If anything, it is safer than the one hooked up to your grill, with N-butane having a room temp pressure of 25psi, VS propane's psi of 144.

Just make sure you get a tank with a dip tube (liquid syphon).
"The door to novelty is always slightly ajar: many pass it by with barely a glance, some peek inside but choose not to enter, others dash in and dash out again; while a few, drawn by curiosity, boredom, rebellion, or circumstance, venture in so deep or wander in there so long that the can never find their way back out."
-Tom Robbins
Trichgnomes jest offline   Quote

Old 03-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
JColtrane

JColtrane has a spectacular aura aboutJColtrane has a spectacular aura aboutJColtrane has a spectacular aura about
I've always wondered if they give you a hassle for buying n-butane from airgas? I mean are there a lot of questions they ask ya about what you're doing with it? Or do you have to have a small business lic. to buy it?
JColtrane jest offline   Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
TokeD

Quote:

I have a couple questions... was that video edited for length or was that the approximate time to complete a run? Basically, how much time does a run take from start to finished product? Excluding the inevitable vacuum purge; which may not be required if you recover 100% of your solvent, I would think.
The video is not edited and is the appropriate timeframe that it would take to run and process about 2oz of material. This is not including the final purging process under a vacuum chamber. Thanks for watching by the way...

Quote:
Do you feel the secondary vacuum purge is useful after removing the oil from the Tamisian and achieving a 100%recovery?

Absolutely necessary to vacuum purge after recovering your oil from the extraction process and I just uploaded a purging video to talk about the issue. see the link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhxm4tY0CA

Quote:
I don't remember if you scraped the extraction vessel or used a carrier like ethanol or hexane; either way, what is your preferred method for removing the extract after Butane recovery?
I just leave about 100 grams of butane (bad recycling i know) to leave as a "bho soup" in the recovery tank. Chill it down to 0 pressure (butane as a liquid doesn't expel pressure) and open the chamber w/ saftey purge line attached and poor out "bho soup" into pyrex. Once i get on my n-butane i'll be going for a full recovery and am looking into a carrier solvent... with 4.5 gallons of nbutane from airgas, 100 grams to leave behind isnt that bad...anything less is just to foamy when you poor out. Currently i'm just using power5x butane that's been cycled and cold purged many times to refine it.

Quote:
Does the carrier/method change with intended use? I am most concerned with creating consistently amazing product for use on the Ti nail and/or Omnicron style vape. I will focus on edibles, tinctures, and more alchemy down the road...
i just leave as s soup as mentioned above, i'm totally next looking to refine the recovery process and figuring out the best carrier solvent to use. 99.9% iso, Hexane? dunno... will probably have to try all the variables first hand and report back.

Quote:
i've yet to obtain the n-butane but have filled out the application and am placing my order as soon as i stack the funds.

i believe the 4.5 gallons isn't to bad, its relatively cheap and i don't believe the 700$ "Ultra High Purity" is not necessary but maybe one day ill get that stuff, in the meanwhile i'm on the hunt for the Instrument Grade 99.5% pure N-Butane for 140$ or so for the 4.5 gallons. Why did you have to mention the butane bomb aspect? now i'm freaked....anyhow i'm still getting it.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
TokeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JColtrane View Post
I've always wondered if they give you a hassle for buying n-butane from airgas? I mean are there a lot of questions they ask ya about what you're doing with it? Or do you have to have a small business lic. to buy it?
i'll report back with my findings and let you know how the process goes, i'm doing it myself once i get the funds. I've filled out the application already so thats out of the way.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Flying High

Flying High has a spectacular aura aboutFlying High has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trichgnomes View Post
Pretty sure 4.5 gallons is the smallest quanity they will sell. Also known as a 20 lb. tank, it is the same size and shape that would one hook up to a backyard barbecue. As long as you store it outside, it is completely safe. If anything, it is safer than the one hooked up to your grill, with N-butane having a room temp pressure of 25psi, VS propane's psi of 144.

Just make sure you get a tank with a dip tube (liquid syphon).

Thank you for the enlightenment regarding standard terminology regarding tank size; it is very clear with only a Tamisium Te-175, a 20lbs tank would be a lifetime supply I imagine.

Does anyone know of another resource for 99.9% pure liquid n-butane in one gallon increments? Does the 99% or better produce a notable increase in quality? I would possibly think the more Butane in a solvent, the less chance for water soluables to be picked up by contaminants in canned Butane ...

Also, has anyone ever used or heard of using a second recovery tank with this smaller two ounce system? It sounds like a way to speed up the process, possibly?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
Flying High

Sweet second video; just watched after I noticed we posted at the same time...

I am glad I bought nearly the same vac set-up as well; same looking stainless degassing chamber from Amazon and a 3cfm two stage pump rated down to 15micron from Viot; from their direct store, not Ebay.

Sorry for all of the questions, I very much appreciate your answers and help... I think your right about the 99.5% vs 99.9%; probably hard to tell a difference in the finished product if purged properly...

I can totally see the ease of leaving a little liquid Butane to facilitate easy extract recovery, but also hate to defeat the safety provided by the closed system. In your opinion, would it be too hard to remove a finished extract from the Extract Chamber if you were to vacuum purge inside of the Tamisium Extract Chamber after the full volume of Butane has been recovered and Recovery tank disconnected? I ask because I would personally prefer to do everything in the Tamisium; but I do have the Vacuum chamber if required...

What about using a Hotplate as opposed to hot water in order to heat the Extract chamber during the recovery process. Just a safety thing?

thanks again

Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #9
TokeD

Quote:
In your opinion, would it be too hard to remove a finished extract from the Extract Chamber if you were to vacuum purge inside of the Tamisium Extract Chamber after the full volume of Butane has been recovered and Recovery tank disconnected?
You will find that putting your oils on parchment paper is best, its got to come out of the tamisium at some point right? Try to get it in pyrex lined w/ parchment...when you transfer from the solvent tank, this will eliminate the need for razor blades.

Quote:
What about using a Hotplate as opposed to hot water in order to heat the Extract chamber during the recovery process. Just a safety thing?

thanks again
heating mantles that has a thermostat that will go 110F are pretty expensive, they're typically made for 200f+, i've been advised to create a heating element for a hot water pot regulated on a thermostat. Probably cheaper and you can always tell when you have a leaky gasket by the bubbles inside the water. (spinning some positive on this alternative )

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Trichgnomes

Trichgnomes has a spectacular aura aboutTrichgnomes has a spectacular aura aboutTrichgnomes has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Thank you for the enlightenment regarding standard terminology regarding tank size; it is very clear with only a Tamisium Te-175, a 20lbs tank would be a lifetime supply I imagine.

Does anyone know of another resource for 99.9% pure liquid n-butane in one gallon increments? Does the 99% or better produce a notable increase in quality? I would possibly think the more Butane in a solvent, the less chance for water soluables to be picked up by contaminants in canned Butane ...

Also, has anyone ever used or heard of using a second recovery tank with this smaller two ounce system? It sounds like a way to speed up the process, possibly?
Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend by breaking down the tank sizes, was just trying to lay down some perspective. I admire and respect that you want to play it safe, but I think the following line is a bit over the top.

Also, I have experience only with 99.9%, as well vector and the like. I would go with the 99.5, as it is much cheaper, and the quality of the extract will be identical.

FWIW, I do not have a lab and perform my solvent recovery outside. I hope everyone else is doing the same. A closed system is safer than an open one, but not intrinsically "safe."
Quote:
I feel almost suicidal sitting on more than 4gallons of liquid tane. Call me a pussy; but I take this shit seriously, no amount of BHO is worth the consequences of an explosion.
"The door to novelty is always slightly ajar: many pass it by with barely a glance, some peek inside but choose not to enter, others dash in and dash out again; while a few, drawn by curiosity, boredom, rebellion, or circumstance, venture in so deep or wander in there so long that the can never find their way back out."
-Tom Robbins

Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
mr. durden
Banned

mr. durden will become famous soon enough
I ended up pick up butane through praxair. they were easier to deal with ultimately. the down side is that I have to rent my tank and was wondering if people were transferring the butane to a different tank. say a scuba or new propane tank.
mr. durden jest online   Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
abellguy

abellguy is a glorious beacon of lightabellguy is a glorious beacon of lightabellguy is a glorious beacon of lightabellguy is a glorious beacon of lightabellguy is a glorious beacon of lightabellguy is a glorious beacon of light
Well jamison I guess you got a good deal for putting up the sales video you sure do know how to take advantage of an opportunity when you find it
my journal
abellguy jest offline   Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
Trichgnomes

Forgot to say this earlier--

It's cool that you have one and post videos, but please do me a favor.

Pronounce it correctly! It's called a Tamisium, not a tameezium.

It is the Latin word for sieve, and pronounced tam-iss-ee-um.
-Tom Robbins

Old 06-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans is on a distinguished road
could you give the actual measurements of the various chambers? From looking at the pictures it has to be a lot smaller than it looks.
Frank n Beans jest offline   Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf is a survivorGray Wolf is a survivorGray Wolf is a survivorGray Wolf is a survivorGray Wolf is a survivorGray Wolf is a survivorGray Wolf is a survivorGray Wolf is a survivorGray Wolf is a survivorGray Wolf is a survivorGray Wolf is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. durden View Post
I ended up pick up butane through praxair. they were easier to deal with ultimately. the down side is that I have to rent my tank and was wondering if people were transferring the butane to a different tank. say a scuba or new propane tank.
I use a 50# refrigeration recovery tank off E-Bay.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.
Gray Wolf jest offline   Quote