What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Extracting With Oils and Fats

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oil and fat extraction is a method we'uns will be further developing, so watch this thread.

Cannabinoids and the other terpenes in cannabis, are readily dissolvable in fats and oils, so fats and oils may be used for both extraction and as a menstruum.

When I say fats and oils, I am referring to the vegetable and nut oils, as well as clarified butter. Oils tasty enough that may be ingested with a dropper, mixed with drinks, or used in medibles.

Water solubility varies, but one of the advantages of using oil for extractions, is that they are for the most part non soluble in water, so they don't extract excessive water soluble constitutes, like chlorophyll.

There are practical limits to the potency that can be achieved extracting with oil, because as the oil becomes saturated with cannabis terpenes, they become less concentrated and their solvent action slows down to a crawl, before stopping altogether.

Potency can be ratcheted up somewhat through using the same oil to do multiple extractions of fresh material, but even that has limitations.

A key factor in achieving maximum removal rates and efficiency, is keeping the boundary layer between the un-dissolved resins and the unsaturated oils used for extraction regularly removed. The method that we used in this experiment, was simple, but through periodic stirring.

Sublingual oil tinctures:

Aside for their useful role in extraction, oils and fats may be mixed at any ratios with cannabis terpenes, if you are just mixing them together as oils. Some of them are damn tasty even taken from a dropper, though as the concentration increases, the flavor becomes less fetching and it leaves more of a lingering aftertaste.

Choose an Oil:

We haven't tried them all, but we have tried Almond, Avocado, Butter, Canola, Coconut oil, Grape Seed oil, Olive, Pecan, Sesame, and Walnut oils. They all work well, so they are a good place to start, if you are new to extraction.

Preparing the material:

We first start by drying the trim. For the most floral flavor and the highest amount of lighter terpenes, material that is hung until it reaches the small stem snap stage is best for our purposes.

In our experience, for best flavor and taste, freshest material works best. Older cured material loses the nuances of the floral undertones and just tastes like hash.

That means that the degree of drying and curing is also critical, if your goal is to maintain maximum terpene content. Not that hash has a bad flavor, but it should be a conscious choice.

Choosing material:

Oil from buds is tastier than oil from even sugar trim, because most of the terpenes are produced by the buds, and that is where they are the most plentiful. Tasty is usually not a word used to describe oil from fan leaves or stems, though effective may be.

The material that we used in this experiment, was donated sweet trim from Chocolate and was well dried and cured.

Oils used in this experiment:

We used Ghee (clarified butter), Coconut oil, Grape Seed oil, and Olive oil for the run, because they are commonly available and inexpensive.

Making Ghee:

To make the Ghee, we melted unsalted butter and cooked it at low temperature, until the butter fats separated from the Ghee. We then skimmed off the floating butter fats, and sucked off the Ghee, using a turkey baster, leaving the heavier butter fats in the bottom of the pot.

Most recipes for extraction with butter call for boiling them material in water and butter, but we studiously avoid adding water and our Ghee extraction has only the lightest tinge of green and no chlorophyll flavor.

Here are the three extractions taken out of the refrigerator, where they were stored between cooking and actual pressing. Note that the butter, olive oil, and the coconut extractions have a slightest green tinge, yet none actually had a chlorophyll flavor.

In this experiment, we didn't attempt to reach maximum saturation, but to determine what was reasonable to expect from a single batch. To reach maximum saturation, we would have simply processed more than one batch of fresh material through the oil.

What we did, was fill four jars 3/4 full of the trim and then added enough oil to cover it, stirred it thoroughly, and then added another inch of oil.

We then lightly capped the jars and set them in pot of hot water and simmered it on low for six hours, uncapping and stirring thoroughly a couple of times an hour.

At the end of six hours, we removed the jars from the hot water and set them aside to cool. The next day, we cooked them two more hours, stirring regularly, and the third day we cooked them another six hours, for 14 hours total, with three heat cycles.

Lightly capping means snug enough to allow some pressure to build, but loose enough to vent off anything excessive. Since we used cured material and didn't add water, there were little in the way of volatiles to boil off and produce pressure.

I left the lid off the boiling pot, so as to not force steam into the jar head space.

For pressing, we warmed the oils and ghee up by placing them in boiling water, this time with the lids on tight and the lid on the pot,

Next we cut up some rags from some surplus drape material, with approximately a 160/200 thread count, and draped it over a restaurant sized potato ricer that we scored at Hongs Restaurant Supply in Portland. By pressing it down into the potato ricer, it formed a pocket that holds approximately a quart of plant material.

Folding the cloth over and pressing it, produced a pristine clear oil, which was tasty enough to dropper.

The most flavorful, was the ghee, and possibly the fastest to uptake and produce an effect. Alas, after just testing just enough of each of them to determine their flavors, I needed a nap, so the next phase of this project, is to titrate for potency and effect, as well as flavor, using volunteer test panels.

We also will experiment with different ways to use the oils in medibles, so I will update this post as they occur:

Copied from:

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/extracting-with-oils-and-fats/

Attachments

• Oils-1-1.jpg
    Oils-1-1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Leaf material for extraction-1-1.jpg
    Leaf material for extraction-1-1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Boiling jars of oil-1-1.jpg
    Boiling jars of oil-1-1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Commercial ricer-1-1.jpg
    Commercial ricer-1-1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Dumping jars-1-1.jpg
    Dumping jars-1-1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Fold over cloth-1-1.jpg
    Fold over cloth-1-1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Pressing-1-1.jpg
    Pressing-1-1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Extracted oils-1-1.jpg
    Extracted oils-1-1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 28

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great information, Gray Wolf! That potato ricer makes my Oxo version look like a pup. The only thing that I might add is that the coconut oil base seems to work the best for topical usage - it disappears into your skin very quickly, whereas olive oil, etc hang around a lot longer.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great information, Gray Wolf! That potato ricer makes my Oxo version look like a pup. The only thing that I might add is that the coconut oil base seems to work the best for topical usage - it disappears into your skin very quickly, whereas olive oil, etc hang around a lot longer.

Good point! We use coconut oil in our topicals for that reason.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Very good info GW, thanks. May I ask a couple questions? First, do you start with ghee on all the herb? Or is ghee one method, and the oils separate? How is the ghee different than butter? I am clear as mud on making the ghee, I can see a pan of butter melt in my historical mind, and I have light yellow crap floating in deeper clear yellow butter, with some thicker stuff on the bottom, what is ghee, and lord have mercy, why is it worth the extra work? Thanks, walk in the light.
H

firehound

GW nice work as always. I have tried your extraction method with small diameter tubing for BHO didnt work so good...must have channeled the butane somehow:dunno:. Im new to trying edibles,oils,cooking with cannabis in general. I will be keeping an eye on this for new and updated info. fh

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I actually just got finished making some ghee this afternoon.... Super Simple! :D

My blood type is "A Secretor" so I can't do regular butter or any other oils but olive. Ghee isn't exactly the same as butter... but for those that can't handle it, it's just great. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
I came down with Walking Pneumonia recently and have turned to edibles as my means of medicating.

My method is melt 8 oz. of coconut oil and 8 grams of bubble hash in double boiler with 1 tsp. Soy Lecithin.

Heat for 2 hours mixing often.

Strain through cheese cloth and dispense into 00 gel caps. 30 per ounce of liquid.

1 capsule is a nice buzz, 2 and its getting close to nap time.

The cheese cloth gets saved and used as a topical.

The question i have is, Am I fully decarboxilating the hash while heating in the coconut oil or does it need to be run longer?

L

LouDog420

Haha, another fantastic thread from the wolfman...

One more thread to save to the hard drive ;)

Green Supreme

Veteran
Got a buddy with a lab. it is my plan to figure the exact time for transfer of cannabinoids etc. into solvents and fats. No more guessing would be so cool. Peace GS

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
gw thank you for another thoughtful thread.

i noticed you are not reccommending to decarboxylate prior to adding the oil. I have started decarbing the hash (i use dry sift) on its own according to badkatsmiles' directions, and the results are much more consistent and quick to digest than any of my previous edibles.

does your long cook time make up for this?

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Very good info GW, thanks. May I ask a couple questions? First, do you start with ghee on all the herb? Or is ghee one method, and the oils separate? How is the ghee different than butter? I am clear as mud on making the ghee, I can see a pan of butter melt in my historical mind, and I have light yellow crap floating in deeper clear yellow butter, with some thicker stuff on the bottom, what is ghee, and lord have mercy, why is it worth the extra work? Thanks, walk in the light.
H

For me... I can't eat normal butter since the lactose and lectins are wrong for my blood type. (A secretor)

When you heat the butter... a great thing happens. All the stuff that's bad for my blood type foams up (easily skimmed off) and coagulates into thick stuff (easily filtered with a wire mesh or other filter).

The clear remaining stuff can be poured into a jar, covered and..... Put on a shelf! lol No chilling needed at that point.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

p.s. the ghee you get off the shelf in the store is usually nasty. Some really 'off' flavors there. LOL

Scrappy4

Veteran

i noticed you are not reccommending to decarboxylate prior to adding the oil. I have started decarbing the hash (i use dry sift) on its own according to badkatsmiles' directions, and the results are much more consistent and quick to digest than any of my previous edibles.

Same here, plus I use soy lecithin and 4 grams decarbed hash per fluid ounce of coconut oil for more potent hash caps. Bud caps get 4-5 gm/fl oz.......scrappy

Pomodoro

GreyWolf- Thanks for another great method.

I have been using a method involving hot clarified butter/oil heated to 240-245F with the cannabis for about 15-20 minutes, then pressed to remove plant matter. It creates a more nutty, less green tasting butter. And creates a very stoney product.

Do you see any negatives, aside from taste issues with this method?

I like that my method is quick so doesnt stink up the place for a really long period of time. The smell makes my partner sick to his stomach.

Since you are using capped jars, i would imagine you are also containing most of the smell?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GreyWolf- Thanks for another great method.

I have been using a method involving hot clarified butter/oil heated to 240-245F with the cannabis for about 15-20 minutes, then pressed to remove plant matter. It creates a more nutty, less green tasting butter. And creates a very stoney product.

Do you see any negatives, aside from taste issues with this method?

I like that my method is quick so doesnt stink up the place for a really long period of time. The smell makes my partner sick to his stomach.

Since you are using capped jars, i would imagine you are also containing most of the smell?

No negatives on the product produced that I can see and yes, the capped jars do contain the smell.

Shorter duration extraction may not extract all the material, but you can readily tell with microscopic examination to see if any heads remain on the stalks.

Great post Gray.. Thank you for the guide. What is the dosage your using with the 1ml droppers? Is it taken directly under the tongue? I know I'm going to test dummy to see where I'm personally at just wondering...

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran

GW---please respond regarding decarboxylation.

cooked cook

bake at 420 until nicely toasted
Nice thread, GW :yes:

As I was finishing my shift in the kitchen the other day, I looked up and saw the exact same model of potato ricer hanging on a hook about 3 feet away from a big box of cheesecloth. Hmmmm. This will be easy enough :)
Hell, no one ever looks at what we're cooking back there in the kitchen. My next 13 hour shift should be plenty o time to knock it out.
Question: Though the coconut oil is soooo smoothe and vanishes into the skin so nicely, is there any residual stickiness on the skin due to the canna-oils? The Mrs. can't stand sticky residue on her hands, so that might be a deal breaker. Peace.
cc