What's new

ICMag p90x - Group 1, March 5th-June 3rd 2012

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey everyone, this thread is for those of us doing p90x as a group, starting (today) Monday, March 5th.

Anyone is welcome to download the videos, get the equipment and join in with the group, and that information can be found in the more general p90x thread/post here - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4946547#post4946547

Keep in mind, this is a fitness program designed for people already in decent shape - if you've got a lot of weight to lose or have never exercised much, I'd suggest following a basic workout plan over at Scooby's Workshop before joining a future p90x group.

Scooby's site is also an excellent resource for nutrition information. Everyone participating should read through the included nutrition plan with the p90x documents, and also spend some time seeing what Scooby has to say. Try his calorie calculator out to get a basic plan tailored to your goals - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

And uh, consult your doctors and that kind of thing before joining an ICMag exercise group, cause Gypsy prolly won't be liable for injuries ;)

Anyways, here's the schedule we'll be following -

ImdY6.gif

So yeah, today's exercise will be the Chest & Back and Ab Ripper X videos. Be back later to discuss how it went.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK did the Chest & Back and Ab Ripper videos... Nice workout!

Heh, I didn't really understand the whole routine would repeat in shuffled order in the 2nd half (not that dude didn't say it 20 times, just thought he meant some exercises would immediately repeat,) so I was blasting past these guys on most of the exercises in the first half, then hurtin' pretty bad in the 2nd half. Especially as some of these exercises are new to me.

Speaking of - fuck dive bomber pushups, hehe.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
OK did the Chest & Back and Ab Ripper videos... Nice workout!

Heh, I didn't really understand the whole routine would repeat in shuffled order in the 2nd half (not that dude didn't say it 20 times, just thought he meant some exercises would immediately repeat,) so I was blasting past these guys on most of the exercises in the first half, then hurtin' pretty bad in the 2nd half. Especially as some of these exercises are new to me.

Speaking of - fuck dive bomber pushups, hehe.

cant wait to hear how you feel tomorrow morning!!!

im thinking of doing P90X2. i have my own in house gym , but want to change it up...

HOLY SHIT! I just found this...LOL....and I just started on my own yesterday...I AM IN! I gotta run at the moment, but I will be back and give some feedback. Woot Woot...thrilled to be doing this with some fellow icmag'ers!

NEVER QUIT!

TGR

ChronicFUNK

Do these even work.. like I don`t want to be a troll but i started working out based on scoobys teaching and all his info, been working out for a year put on like ~10lbs
currently benching 225 (2 reps) or like 75 - 80lbs on dumbell press(max) @ 151 lbs 5' 11"..

I ask if it works cause I am curious about getting into it for one and second i thought most of this stuff is a gimmick??

again not trying to be an asshole/troll just looking for some real insight.

i am having a really hard time gaining weight, but am increasing strength?

krunchbubble

Veteran
Do these even work.. like I don`t want to be a troll but i started working out based on scoobys teaching and all his info, been working out for a year put on like ~10lbs
currently benching 225 (2 reps) or like 75 - 80lbs on dumbell press(max) @ 151 lbs 5' 11"..

I ask if it works cause I am curious about getting into it for one and second i thought most of this stuff is a gimmick??

I wasn't sure about P90X till i saw Amazon's reviews....

bought the set off Craigslist for $50, bought some weights pull up bar for $100. figured if it didn't work, its only a $150 investment...

WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!

first stretch did 6 months, non stop, except for rest weeks.....

THEN started hitting the gym, first trainer was amazed at the size of my muscle groups, for never hitting the gym before....

getting bored at the gym now, think ill switch back, and get my girl doing it as well...

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i might have to do this soon.
300lbs is a look i'm getting tired of.
ftr, i haven't been able to do a pull up since grade school during the presidential fitness tests.
not even in my gym rat days, 50 lbs ago!

ChronicFUNK

I wasn't sure about P90X till i saw Amazon's reviews....

bought the set off Craigslist for $50, bought some weights pull up bar for $100. figured if it didn't work, its only a $150 investment...

WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!

first stretch did 6 months, non stop, except for rest weeks.....

THEN started hitting the gym, first trainer was amazed at the size of my muscle groups, for never hitting the gym before....

getting bored at the gym now, think ill switch back, and get my girl doing it as well...

you folllowed everything exactly to the tee as well? because if i got this i probably would too, but i could definately see myself getting a bit lazy with it. the meal plans are the hardest

krunchbubble

Veteran
you folllowed everything exactly to the tee as well? because if i got this i probably would too, but i could definately see myself getting a bit lazy with it. the meal plans are the hardest

did not do the meal plan and did not do the yoga....

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Well man, I too am a Scooby-taught bodybuilder... I do his "Advanced Intermediate" routine religiously, for a few years now.

I've only done 1 day of the p90x so feel like I am not in the best position to comment. I do feel slightly less "pumped" than I do after a typical Scooby workout routine, but more sore, and feel like I've done a more comprehensive workout if not quite as brutal. We'll see what the difference in results is - frankly I'm already in the shape I want to be in and this is more to mix up my routine than find something better or worse.

Now as for your comment about gaining strength and not much weight, well, few factors going on there. Strength gains always come before weight gains, so if you've only been at it a year and already put on 10 pounds then I think you're doing just fine. Scooby himself will tell you, anything over 5 pounds a year is tough beyond that early period when you're kinda making up for being below your generic strength baseline. Other factor is nutrition - are you making sure your body constantly has protein? Getting it right before bed and first thing in the morning?

If you're doing all these things and not seeing the results you want, then you've hit a plateau, and you need to mix up your routine or increase resistance significantly to see results. If you're doing a Scooby routine, you already have most everything for p90x, so yea I say hop on board man :D

T

TrichyTrichy

Great thread!
I don't think the big guys should be doing pylometrics. Perhaps switch in climbing stairs.

Everyone should walk/jog 10K steps a day. Check out www.fitbit.com in addition monitors sleep- it's 3D technology.

anyone 20lbs+ should see "Fat,sick and almost dead" movie

krunchbubble

Veteran
Well man, I too am a Scooby-taught bodybuilder... I do his "Advanced Intermediate" routine religiously, for a few years now.

I've only done 1 day of the p90x so feel like I am not in the best position to comment. I do feel slightly less "pumped" than I do after a typical Scooby workout routine, but more sore, and feel like I've done a more comprehensive workout if not quite as brutal. We'll see what the difference in results is - frankly I'm already in the shape I want to be in and this is more to mix up my routine than find something better or worse.

Now as for your comment about gaining strength and not much weight, well, few factors going on there. Strength gains always come before weight gains, so if you've only been at it a year and already put on 10 pounds then I think you're doing just fine. Scooby himself will tell you, anything over 5 pounds a year is tough beyond that early period when you're kinda making up for being below your generic strength baseline. Other factor is nutrition - are you making sure your body constantly has protein? Getting it right before bed and first thing in the morning?

If you're doing all these things and not seeing the results you want, then you've hit a plateau, and you need to mix up your routine or increase resistance significantly to see results. If you're doing a Scooby routine, you already have most everything for p90x, so yea I say hop on board man :D

Scooby is such a flamer

L

longearedfriend

P90x seems like quite a time investment

I am not drawn to it, because even If I didn't watch much of it
(I hardly know what it's about)

I just get the impression it's a lot of work
and watching something on tv, I feel you can do a bad move, oops, you just hurt yourself

myself I am continuing my swimming laps
doing a bit of situps that and eating healthy, meditating, positive thinking

don't forget to stretch

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
Just finished my work out. Tired as fuck and threw up after but I'm notsure if it's from the work out or eating shit jail food and being on lock down the last few days.,.. P90x bringit !!!

tr1ck_

P90x is intense! The longest I was able to do it was about 30 days straight before I got too lazy. I did get some great results in those 30 days though.

Latest posts

Latest posts