What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Spider Mite Control: Predators

Andyo

Veteran
I had success with them

I had success with them

Though people dont like to believe all i heard was they dont work
well you maintain the right conditions and add enough they work fine

After first success i never got mites back again .
24 kw gro 3 years after no mites .A

moses wellfleet

Veteran
to update this thread: califorinicus have been used successfully to control broad mites as well.

broad mites have been running rampage recently if you have used californicus against them please share your experience here!

Thank you Moses for bringing this closer to the light. Lady Bugs have been on patrol so far, they're not skinny by any means. You can't help to get attached to the little critters!

Cheer

Hey man, be real careful on how many you release at a time. A couple years back we released a shitload in our rooms. I'm sure you know how suicidal they are. If too many die on top of the bulb it can cause a fire. If I hadn't been in the room when the bulb caught on fire I don't know if I'd be typing this right now.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
some pics of californicus:

Attachments

• amblyseius_californicus.jpeg
    amblyseius_californicus.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Neoseiulus-Californicus2.jpg
    Neoseiulus-Californicus2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 12
  • cali.jpg
    cali.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 12

Dkgrower

Veteran
Hey Moses, i was under the impression that the use was more wide spread.

I am glad that u push this method because it is very good and much more easy that most methods, very effective.

Also i only have xp with phytoseiulus persimilis against spider mites.

Before i started with phytoseiulus persimilis i used a Bayer garden product, based on a systemic posion, used a shit load off those sprays, bad bad bad fore my health and enviroment.

I grow Lonestar killer Queen and spider mites just love her and phytoseiulus persimilis keep them at bay i only had 1 branch that was infected this year.

Using biological control is good but if u grow in a constant, no flux, low hum enviroment then u bio control will have a hard time.

Flux in Temperatur and Humidity is also important, constant enviroment give certain bugs optimal conditions, low humidity favors spider mites.

Andyo

Veteran
acclimatisation of predators over generations

acclimatisation of predators over generations

I believe predatory mites can acclimatise to your individual grow room over generations
I stands to reason that some of the offspring of thousands would perform better than others in grow room climates as they that do best in that specific climate are more efficient ,hence multiply faster.

Obviously the need to provide as near ideal climate as possible.
though i provided temps of 29C ,84 F humidity 75/80 for 6 weeks of veg
at 2 weeks into 12/12 i cut the misters and dropped humidity to 60 and temps to 25 c, 77f still finding persimilius moving around ,
next crop from cuttings after rooms empty for 4 weeks in august no spider mites that i could see ,i did spot the occasional phytoselius.A

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
:lurk:

Starting to want to lean my grow towards all organic. Currently housekeeping and Neem oil keep spider mites at bay for me. But I've got a small grow >1500w (including fans and other equipment), so making sure I clean and spray every corner is pretty easy.

Out of curiosity, do the persimilis patrol in the soil as well? I've got a healthy population of springtails in my pots, fungus gnats explode when I bring in new soil, but settle down pretty quickly. I've got lots of little red mites running everywhere in my soil,... every now and then I see one take down a spring tail, so I know theyre predators. Just not sure what.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
No you will never find persimilis in the soil. What you have is most likely hypoaspis miles. It is a soil dwelling predatory mite and is known to feed on fungus gnat larvae and springtails. It is native to North America so it's quite common that people find these little helpers in their gardens!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 13

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Persimilis was a good guess though, they do seem to look quite similar, persimilis probably moves a lot faster!

You lucky to have those in your soil. A lot of people pay good money to introduce them into their grows!

Muleskinner

Veteran
I used the predatory mites on my one infestation with 100% success.

It's not just a great solution for mites, once flowering begins, it's the ONLY solution. If you want to remain 100% organic, which is my way.

In small gardens of only a few plants, the mites will devour the spider mites and then disappear. They just run away, I never saw any trace of them on the lamp. In commercial-size greenhouses, it's possible to keep a population going forever.

If you're using the predatory mites during flowering, look for a vendor that sells them on a sawdust mix, not vermiculite or something else. A few bits of sawdust going into your pipe or vaporizer is harmless and not noticeable.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the mites always win against the persimilis for me. shame. and you stop spraying etc because you have added the predators. i get caught out.

i spray neem in the first half of flower, im just careful to not get the buds too wet. never smelt or tasted it in the smoke.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I have had mixed results with these to date, when they work they work great, but sometimes they don't get on top of the situation!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
does anyone know if spraying with neem will kill the persimillis predators as well as the spider mites???

Latest posts

Latest posts