What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Must...catch...Heath... 7200 watts of VERT

G

Guest 88950

Thanks Bro.....This allows folks to absorb shit in real time....Krusty taught me many yrs ago about the benefits of SM-90 in a fast hydro setup for root rot prevention in case rootzone temps got above 70 , cuz anything above 70 promotes rootzone pathogens along with lower dissolved oxygen for root rot proliferation....

Glad the hydrofungicide`s helpin yas , and if as yas said yas don`t wanna run the chillers , try some SM-90 @ 5ml per gal and it`ll make yas happy...

Ran it for over 17 yrs with krusty and ebb and flow buckets , and in coco it innoculates the medium preventing any bug larvae from hatching ftw.....

Coriander oil in suspension with other inert ingredients that would be labeled as organic , but`s listed as an insecticide and can`t have 2 descriptions in Cali/Medville that is........anyways...

Fortune favors the prepared mind....Keep up the good work my buddy....

Peace...DHF....:ying:.....

thx 4 helping the community with yr knowledge........it truly is power.

Roadtoserfdom

My compliments on your grow.

I have one humble suggestion:

Consider weighting not only the total yield but plants individually, ideally using clones of only one phenotype in one system.

As I understand it, SOG/ScrOG and vertical systems do so well because of their efficient use of light. Former one can keep almost the entire canopy at optimal light intensity while verticals do even better by getting rid of the losses caused by the reflector. Adjusting shape and size of the canopy methodologically would seem like a logical next step when trying to reach the maximum potential. More data might help you to do that and would surely make interesting reading.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
BST, do you use digital ballasts? I use Ushio Bulbs with my digital 600's and they are damn near as bright as a 1k magnetic..

BldSwtTrs

BldSwtTrs Glad to see youve taken action of this great concept.

Im sure youve mentioned it but from a quick read through the thread I couldnt see your method of how you managed to set the water level. Heath used an adjustable collar, how did you go a bout it?

Thanks Iloveit! I havn't really mentioned this yet because it is hard to explain. I also can't really get pictures of the water level controls due to how they are situated in the systems. I will hopefully be posting a description with drawings soon. Check back!

very very nice vert grow!!!!!

Thanks for stopping by man!

My compliments on your grow.

I have one humble suggestion:

Consider weighting not only the total yield but plants individually, ideally using clones of only one phenotype in one system.

As I understand it, SOG/ScrOG and vertical systems do so well because of their efficient use of light. Former one can keep almost the entire canopy at optimal light intensity while verticals do even better by getting rid of the losses caused by the reflector. Adjusting shape and size of the canopy methodologically would seem like a logical next step when trying to reach the maximum potential. More data might help you to do that and would surely make interesting reading.

Hey RTS, yea you are absolutely right. I would LOVE to get to the point where I am running 115 perfectly monocropped and identical clones in each system. It is really hard to get to that point though. An entire run of 6 systems uses almost 700 cuts. Keeping a mother supply that meets these needs takes lots of resources and just takes time to get to the point where you can monocrop like that. Hopefully I will be there sooner than later though cause you are right. Thanks again for dropping in!

BST, do you use digital ballasts? I use Ushio Bulbs with my digital 600's and they are damn near as bright as a 1k magnetic..

Hey Shcrews, yea I use digital ballasts. I will definitely be looking into Ushio bulbs. Thanks A LOT for the suggestion. Will let ya know how it goes.

catalyte

Veteran
Here is a quick breakdown off the top of my head. Keep in mind they are all guesses without having to look up prices.

Pipes = $60
Joints = $100
Wood for frame = $40
Castors (optional) = $40 (there are a total of 12 used)
Pipe clamps = $50
Rez = $50
Light sockets = $40
Light bulbs = whatever you want... I have hortis which are 95 a piece
Ballasts = whatever you want... mine are about 140 a piece
Pump = $50
Air pump = $50
Air stones = $5
Feed including joints and valves = $10
Reflectix panels = $140 bucks for 100x4ft. You probably end up using about 30ft/system so pricing would depend on how many you plan to build or what sized reflectix you get.

There is a rough breakdown, but this could vary tons... I mean it completely depends on your area and availability of goods. Depends on the quality lights, ballasts, pumps you want to use. Also depends on if you buy in bulk. Building 6 of these makes the price per a bit lower than if you are to build one. I dunno there might be some stuff I forgot, if I remember it I will let ya know. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot BldSwtTrs!

huge respect! :headbange

D

DHF

Hey BST.....It only gets better as yas figure out maintenance schedules and certain tasks to perform at certain times to maximize your efforts with the least amount of time on each of the setups.....

Got a grow Bro at 1 of my med sites that runs the same setup with 3-600`s and kills it with all those Euro strains he has access to in the UK......

Bro....I had 512 plants runnin at all times at 4 separate locations with at least 200 cuts rootin constantly to find 64 picks of the litter when it was time to chop and replant....

Feel blessed all yer shit`s under 1 roof so everything can be worked repeatedly and consistently as any fast hydro setup should be....

The only way yas`re gonna find a yielder from fully rooted cut is ta run them bitches and find out as you`re doin 1 helluva job of I might add.....

Just gotta up your cut game and find a yielder....after that it`s....simple....babyshit....Keep rockin Bro....The road to Nirvana`s rocky , but it`ll soon happen all at once once yer ducks are in a row and it`ll be smooth sailin with perpetual harveys back ta back ftw from there on out....

Never ran any bulbs but 600 watt EYE Horti`s to insure my bitches could be all they could be from max lumen output.....and....It`d be real damn hard for anyone to convince me of anything different ....

I guess the cheaper Ushio`s are an appropriate substitute and since Bobble`s has a new toy he could enlighten us with a side by side with both brands on lumen output if he had it in the budget......and....

Gotta get the ceilings and floors covered in Orca or reflectix and Hell.....Wish I`d had enough sense to build wraparound active air intakes round the room to do away with muffin fans beneath the stacked bulbs , just not real sure if it`d work down here in Hell....but maybe....

Good luck Bro...

Peace....DHF....:ying:......

bobblehead

Veteran
As far as 600w lamps go... It's supposed to be Greenpower EL>USHIO Hilux Grow>Horti EYE> GE Lucalox> Digilux

Same thing happened to me, the sales guy pushed the Digilux... Probably cause he was making good money. I normally find USHIO lamps between $60-65. I want to get some Greenpower lamps... but I just got 12 Lucalox for $30 a piece... That price couldn't be beat. USHIO, GE, and Horti are all pretty close from what I've seen. Digilux is really low on the scale. I think Wazzup made a chart, but I can't seem to find it again... Anyway, I have old USHIO and Digilux lamps, and new LucaLox. I might buy a new USHIO for the sake of testing... as well as a greenpower... but the rest don't really interest me.

The greenpower is specifically for electronic ballasts, and it's supposed to be the best lamp on the market for electronic ballasts.

BldSwtTrs

Hey BST.....It only gets better as yas figure out maintenance schedules and certain tasks to perform at certain times to maximize your efforts with the least amount of time on each of the setups.....

Got a grow Bro at 1 of my med sites that runs the same setup with 3-600`s and kills it with all those Euro strains he has access to in the UK......

Bro....I had 512 plants runnin at all times at 4 separate locations with at least 200 cuts rootin constantly to find 64 picks of the litter when it was time to chop and replant....

Feel blessed all yer shit`s under 1 roof so everything can be worked repeatedly and consistently as any fast hydro setup should be....

The only way yas`re gonna find a yielder from fully rooted cut is ta run them bitches and find out as you`re doin 1 helluva job of I might add.....

Just gotta up your cut game and find a yielder....after that it`s....simple....babyshit....Keep rockin Bro....The road to Nirvana`s rocky , but it`ll soon happen all at once once yer ducks are in a row and it`ll be smooth sailin with perpetual harveys back ta back ftw from there on out....

Never ran any bulbs but 600 watt EYE Horti`s to insure my bitches could be all they could be from max lumen output.....and....It`d be real damn hard for anyone to convince me of anything different ....

I guess the cheaper Ushio`s are an appropriate substitute and since Bobble`s has a new toy he could enlighten us with a side by side with both brands on lumen output if he had it in the budget......and....

Gotta get the ceilings and floors covered in Orca or reflectix and Hell.....Wish I`d had enough sense to build wraparound active air intakes round the room to do away with muffin fans beneath the stacked bulbs , just not real sure if it`d work down here in Hell....but maybe....

Good luck Bro...

Peace....DHF....:ying:......

DHF Thanks for stopping in sir. I am ALWAYS glad to hear what you say.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am feeling pretty good about where I am now and am excited to get to where I want to be.

Glad you can relate to the massive numbers game... right now I have 3x 120 site EZ cloners running full all the time, but it still isn't enough to monocrop. I think I might have to DOUBLE it to get to the point where I can pick 115 perfect cuts... we will see though.

Good idea about the wraparound air intake. It might be doable here, but to be honest I am kinda rollin with the punches for a while. The space that I am in isn't really ideal for this type of operation, but I am making it work. Will hopefully find the right spot one day...

As far as the bulbs go I will start researching that soon. I have never really done much research in bulbs which I admit is weak. Plan on remedying that soon...

Again... thanks for stopping by. I truly appreciate your advice man...

As far as 600w lamps go... It's supposed to be Greenpower EL>USHIO Hilux Grow>Horti EYE> GE Lucalox> Digilux

Same thing happened to me, the sales guy pushed the Digilux... Probably cause he was making good money. I normally find USHIO lamps between $60-65. I want to get some Greenpower lamps... but I just got 12 Lucalox for $30 a piece... That price couldn't be beat. USHIO, GE, and Horti are all pretty close from what I've seen. Digilux is really low on the scale. I think Wazzup made a chart, but I can't seem to find it again... Anyway, I have old USHIO and Digilux lamps, and new LucaLox. I might buy a new USHIO for the sake of testing... as well as a greenpower... but the rest don't really interest me.

The greenpower is specifically for electronic ballasts, and it's supposed to be the best lamp on the market for electronic ballasts.

Yea I am kinda surprised about the guy at the shop pushing digis on me... I have been a good customer of his for a while and we are really friendly so I am inclined to believe he was being genuine. I guess we might never know.

Anyway Bobs, thanks a bunch. Will be looking in to the greenpower bulbs ASAP. Thanks.

What are the final dimensions if you don't mind me askin'?

Eh TBH it doesn't really matter because the dimensions are 100 percent dependent on what type of pipe and lumber you use to construct the system. Diameter is about 4 feet + the frame and the height is about 6 1/2 feet. Once again it just completely depends on the materials you use. Could make it significantly shorter if I used a more shallow rez and could make it bigger or smaller in diameter if I used different pipe or joints.

Sorry for the ambiguity bro I will try and get some more info up soon.

Hama-Kavula

Aloha BldSwtTrs
:tiphat: great thread with lotta useful infos and well illustrated too - so first of all thx for sharing ur setup and work with us.

Been lurking around here for quite a while now and always hoped the one shot I wait for would appear sooner or later - since it didn´t by now and I´m rather interested in ur construction (and maybe a lil impatient sometimes) me thought I just gonna boldly ask for it. In the pic link given underneath I can partially see ur intake and overflow assembly.

Would u mind taking a better shot of it (maybe from the inside) so I can picture it better - rather compare it with what I think it looks like. If possible that is fo sho. I picture it running in some kind of zig-zag from level to level.
I´d highly appreciate ur effort. :thank you:
I also might have some additional questions regarding ur overflow solution later if u don´t mind.

Thx and keep it green :plant grow:

. Also, I see you're running Digilux lamps? Man I hate those lamps... USHIO, Lucalox, and the Horti-EYE have all tested better in a few different comparisons I've seen. I've used them all and I would agree with the test results.

Hey bobble if you check youtube out there are two videos that compare Digilux vs Hortilux. Digulux not only registered a higher ouput of lumens on the light meter it also had a higher par value. And they are much cheaper than Hortilux. Only thing bad Ive been reading about them are they blow out a lot.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Here's the results from a test done by member whazzup (works for Gavita) within an Ulbricht sphere that shows that the Hortilux lamp is superior to the digilix (par value but not lumens, but as we know plants = umol, people = lumens)

attachment.php

Same data with Lumen output.

attachment.php

For 600w lamps it looks like the Philips green power Son-T 230V has the highest par value until you move up to the Philips green power 600w 400v EL (specifically for Electronic ballasts). All other bulbs are not designed to be used with electronic ballasts and hours of use is drastically reduced by using those bulbs with electronic ballats. At this time from what I can find only Gavita produce a ballast capable of running the 600w 400v Philips EL bulb.

It would seem that the best 600w bulb to use vertically would be the Philips green power Son-T 230v.

Read this thread, and generally all of whazzups posts cause dude knows his shit when it comes to lighting.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=224071

Here's the results from a test done by member whazzup (works for Gavita) within an Ulbricht sphere that shows that the Hortilux lamp is superior to the digilix (par value but not lumens, but as we know plants = umol, people = lumens)

View Image

Same data with Lumen output.

View Image

For 600w lamps it looks like the Philips green power Son-T 230V has the highest par value until you move up to the Philips green power 600w 400v EL (specifically for Electronic ballasts). All other bulbs are not designed to be used with electronic ballasts and hours of use is drastically reduced by using those bulbs with electronic ballats. At this time from what I can find only Gavita produce a ballast capable of running the 600w 400v Philips EL bulb.

It would seem that the best 600w bulb to use vertically would be the Philips green power Son-T 230v.

Read this thread, and generally all of whazzups posts cause dude knows his shit when it comes to lighting.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=224071

shhhh thats for the super blue hortilux not the super hps.Apples and oranges. Its more than twice as expensive as a digilux and like 30,000 lumens less (1000w). Super blue wins for quality and range of spectrum, and super hps or digilux for penetration and final yield.

bobblehead

Veteran
Thanks Shhh! Seems I got the facts a little skewed, but point being the greenpower EL is superior for digital ballasts...

DHF- the Lucalox is an enhanced spectrum horticulture lamp, I just got them on sale for like 10% above wholesale... Normally it's priced just as expensive as the other lamps, so i figured if I could get 2-3 lamps for the price of one, grow a bunch of plants, and then upgrade to greenpower EL lamps, then I would be good...

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
I just found this chart also from Gavita

gallery_5211_8878_161101.jpg

That states the Slyvania growlux has a slightly better output than the Philips greenpower. Where I am the sylvania is half the price too! Happy days!! :D

D

DHF

Heath always used Phillips bulbs across da pond , but I`m not sure what type other than the 600 watters........I imagine they were 230 volt models though since all Euro setups are .......

He did try those new(ferget the fukin name) bulbs couple yrs ago that hadta be swapped out between veg , stretch , swellage mode and the results were less than anticipated and or as stated by manufacturers and I`m fairly sure he went back to Phillips cuz those bulbs were outrageously priced....but.......

Bobbles.....30 bucks fer horticultural bulbs is like a 1/3 the price for some bulbs these days so feel blessed and run them lucalox`s.....

BST.....Did you look at that diesel generator the cat posted in Bobble`s thread about.......

Let us know some stats....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:.......

soo shhh do these gro lux bulbs have a broader spectrum than the hortilux and the same amount of lumen output. Ive been looking for a good hps bulb with increase blue spectrum thats not too expensive.

catalyte

Veteran
Ushio has the most "balanced" spectrum i have seen from an HPS bulb... but then again, i have never used Hortilux or Gavita....

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
soo shhh do these gro lux bulbs have a broader spectrum than the hortilux and the same amount of lumen output. Ive been looking for a good hps bulb with increase blue spectrum thats not too expensive.

bettergrowhydro said:
The Sylvania GROLUX bulb is the only bulb in this country that was designed from the ground up specifically for growing plants (yes, even the Hortilux bulb was not originally designed for plants!). It has the highest PAR rating (meaning it has the highest plant-usable light output) of any bulb on the market, in addition to having 30% more blue spectrum than a standard HPS bulb. It is the best bulb you will find in the U.S., far exceding the performance of all other bulbs currently available, including the Hortilux (and for less money!).

Hope that helps bro

Latest posts

Latest posts