What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS SATIVA SEU INDICA: INDIAN HEMP. Feb 9th 1895

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
CANNABIS SATIVA SEU INDICA: INDIAN HEMP. Published Feb 9th 1895

By R. COWAN LEES, M.B., C.M., F.F.P.S.G., Glasgow.

1 - Squire's Companion to the British Pharmacopoeia.
2 - Medicinal Plants, vol. iv, page 231.

It has always been difficult to understand why the resin of this plant should alone be recognised in the British Pharmacopoeia, more especially when we find it stated in works on the physiological action of this drug that in India several preparations are used by the natives to produce its stimulating and exhilarating effects, amongst which watery infusions are specially mentioned.

During a short visit to India some years ago my attention was drawn to the fact that several modes of using the herb were employed by the natives-modes not capable of extracting much, if even any, of the resin. So far as I could observe; watery infusions were commonly used, but whether in combination with other substances or not I am not in a position to state. This fact, however, led me to try what benefits might be derived from the use of a preparation of the plant, not depending on the resin alone.

Messrs. T. and H. Smith, who first obtained the resin in a state of comparative purity, state that " it is a brown amorphous solid, burning with a bright white flame, and leaving no ash; powerful in its action when taken internally, and that two-thirds of a grain act as an active narcotic, whilst 1 grain produces complete intoxication"; but the question might be advisedly asked, Is it completely freed from its essential oil ? As a matter of fact, it is found that when the extract is kept for some time it becomes hard and brittle, and less potent in its action, a circumstance which goes a long way to prove that such a condition is the result of loss of volatile oil from the resin, and pharmacists are advised to " lay aside and not employ for medicinal use that which has become old."'

We are told by Bently and Trimen that "both Hindus and Mohammedans use this herb, either by smoking-with or without tobacco in combination with other substances-or by simple infusion in water."2 Gunjah-guaza of our London market-has but a faint taste, with a peculiar but not unpleasant narcotic odour. These properties depend in a great measure on the volatile oil and resin. The latter some consider the more important constituent of the plant.

In the watery infusion employed by the Hindus and Mohammedans as mentioned above, we can conceive of little, if any, of the resin being dissolved and held in solution, whilst, on the other hand, much of the volatile oil might be dissolved by the water, together with other constituents of the plant. Dr. Personne regards the volatile oil as the sole active principle, and in proof of this he states that "when the volatile oil is inhaled, a distinct sensation of shuddering with motor excitement, followed by prostration and syncope, is experienced."

Again, Dr. Preobraschersky has found a volatile alkaloid-most plentiful in the flowering tops-and which he considers somewhat similar in its action to nicotia or nicotine. Feeling somewhat satisfied that water was capable of dissolving at least a portion of this volatile oil, and knowing that watery infusions of the drug were used for intoxicating and stimulating purposes in India, I had prepared for me a strong aqueous extract of the flowering tops of the female plant of the usual strength of liquid extracts, and from its use I have obtained good and satisfactory results. It possesses the anodyne and soporific action generally ascribed to the resinous extract, although in a modified degree. It has the characteristic odour of the hemp, has a beautiful deep amber colour, is miscible with water, and hence there is no difficulty in combining it with other liquids, and it presents no unseemly immiscible mixture repellent to a patient.

Liquor cannabis indicae in my experience gives all the beneficial effects without the drawbacks of the tincture, avoiding those extreme exhilarating conditions bordering on intoxication, which are sometimes met With even when using a medium dose of the latter. It does not seem to in terfere with the secretion of mucus from the bronchial glands-a circumstance which renders it superior to opium in those cases suitable for its use, whilst in pulmonary affections generally it acts most favourably as a soporific and anodyne.

My greatest experience has been in the treatment of phthisis pulmonalis, and here I cannot speak of it too highly, for whilst it most perceptibly relieves the cough, it aids the patient by its stimulating and exhilarating qualities, supplying a remedial agent, in a manner which in my opinion no other drug can so beneficially do. In indigestion with constipation, and also in many of the affections of children, especially where nervous symptoms are present, it has also done good service. I do not presume for one moment that it will displace opium in those cases where severe pain is a prominent symptom, but I feel sure that in many cases where opium is at present used it may be substituted-with great advantage.

The dose which I commonly use is half a fluid drachm for an adult, but it may be increased to a drachm in many cases, whilst for children corresponding doses to age may be adopted, though I have noticed that children are somewhat less susceptible to it than adults.

I may state that the fluid aqueous extract from the flowering tops of the female plant already referred to. has been prepared for me by Messrs. Rankin and Borland, pharmaceutical chemists, Kilmarnock, and I may further add that to avoid as far as possible the presence of the resin in the extract, the use of heat is entirely avoided in the preparation.

Messrs. Park Davis and Co., of London, have likewise prepared a liquor for me which I have also found suitable.

Many other firms have sent me samples which were miscible with water, but I found on examination these were only tinctures acted upon by alkalies, and gave the disagreeable reactions of the resin.

I trust that having found this preparation beneficial in my own practice, and feeling satisfied that it is one which may be successfully used in many of the more common ailments affecting the chest, other medical men will be induced to give it a trial, and if proved by them equally beneficial, it may in future find a place in medical therapeutics.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for posting, i had to look up phthisis pulmonalis - its Tuberculosis / TB

VG

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
Great read, particularly with the current surge in interest about juicing the plant. Thanks Chimera!

dizzlekush

Cold Brewed Weed Tea eh? i always laughed at my buddies for trying such things...

I wonder if this non-heated aqueous extraction was performed and then a butane/hexane extraction was performed with the same plant material if the latter (Butane/hexane extract) would still come out at a similar quality if not pre-extracted with water. Since one extracts the hydrophilic substances (cannabis tea) and the other the lipophilic substances (butane/hexane extract), each extract should be achievable without effecting the quality of the other extract, correct?

dizzlekush

@Chimera maybe i missed where they mentioned the specifics of the state of the 'flower tops' when extraction was performed (e.g. wet vs dried, whole vs chopped, sin semilla vs seeded), or even the length the aqueous extraction was performed, or whether or not the flower-water solution is agitated or allowed to steep. do you know any of the specifics of this?

I wonder if the presence of water in the buds, i.e. dried or fresh would have an effect of the quality and contents of the aqueous extract.

Chimera

Veteran
From the Dutch office of medicinal cannabis:

Instructions for use and dosage

Tea

• Boil 500 ml of water in a pan with the lid on.
• Add 0.5 grams (about 2 teaspoons or 1 measuring scoop) of medicinal cannabis.
• Turn down the heat and let the tea simmer gently for 15 minutes with the lid still on the pan.
• Take the tea off the stove and pour it through a sieve.
• Keep the tea in a thermos flask if you plan to drink it the same day.
If you want to make tea for several days, use 1 gram (about 4 teaspoons or 2 measuring scoops) of medicinal cannabis for one litre of water. Then, after preparing the tea as described above, add a package or teaspoon of coffee creamer powder to the warm tea. This will keep the active substances in the tea from sticking to the inside of the teapot or cup, reducing its effectiveness. Let the tea cool down and store it in the fridge. It will keep for several days.

You may reheat the refrigerated tea, and can add sugar, syrup or honey to improve its taste.

Dosage: Start by drinking 1 cup (0.2 litres) of tea in the evening. If this provides insufficient relief after one or two weeks, you can – in consultation with your doctor – drink an extra cup (0.2 litres) in the morning. If the tea still provides insufficient relief, ask your doctor about inhaling medicinal cannabis using a vaporiser. Inhalation acts faster, and
its effect is stronger than cannabis tea. Furthermore, the dose is easier to adjust.

E

elmanito

From Ethan B Russo

Is irradiation safe?
Russo’s BJP paper contains an assertion, tangential to his theme, that seems like a big story in and of itself: “Government-approved cannabis supplied to patients in national programs in the Netherlands and Canada is gammairradiated to sterilize coliform bacteria, but the safety of this technique for a smoked and inhaled product has never been specifically tested.” (Emphasis added by O’Shaughnessy’s.)
Russo cites studies showing that “Gamma-irradiation significantly reduced linalool titres in fresh cilantro,and myrcene and linalool in orange juice.”In other words, getting zapped with gammarays may not only make plants unsafe to inhale, it can reduce their nutritional value.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

smokefrogg

Veteran
and folks would always knock on how i like making tea, "thc isn't water soluble duuuuh!" they'd always say

well fine, more tea for me, and none for you ;)

my mom used to get crazy bad cramps, she had been making tea with it since before i had been born and it worked a treat for her, funny to read this bit of science backing up our own anecdotal evidence

i like making sun tea as well, a 2 handfuls of f13 sun leaves in a 1 gallon glass container full of water and covered, leave it out in the sun all day long, man it is so refreshing and amazing after working under the sun all day in the yard *loooove it!*

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
sorry to break it to you mr frogg but THC isn't water soluble. it even has the clues in the article and the response chimera posted. the article says you don't want resin which is where the THC is, and the response from chimera says if you plan on storing it mix it with milk (a fat/ well it contains fats) so that the oils in the tea don't just stick to the container and rather stay free in the liquid.

you can make tea all you want, the thc isnt dissolving into the water the oils are merely suspended in it. oil + water = don't mix. this is a common established scientific fact. yeah yeah emulsions...that doesn't count in this case.

shmalphy

Veteran
I have been drinking my ice hash water recently. I use all indoor trim and sanitized equipment. It seems to have an effect, even though there is theoretically no decarboxylated THC in it. I have the theory that it is other cannabinoids working together with the THC in my system from the cannabis I smoked. I have yet to find someone who doesn't smoke who is willing to try it.

I like to drink it as a health drink, because I believe in the power of cannabis as preventative medicine.

softyellowlight

From the Dutch office of medicinal cannabis:

Instructions for use and dosage

Tea

• Boil 500 ml of water in a pan with the lid on.
• Add 0.5 grams (about 2 teaspoons or 1 measuring scoop) of medicinal cannabis.
• Turn down the heat and let the tea simmer gently for 15 minutes with the lid still on the pan.
• Take the tea off the stove and pour it through a sieve.
• Keep the tea in a thermos flask if you plan to drink it the same day.
If you want to make tea for several days, use 1 gram (about 4 teaspoons or 2 measuring scoops) of medicinal cannabis for one litre of water. Then, after preparing the tea as described above, add a package or teaspoon of coffee creamer powder to the warm tea. This will keep the active substances in the tea from sticking to the inside of the teapot or cup, reducing its effectiveness. Let the tea cool down and store it in the fridge. It will keep for several days.

You may reheat the refrigerated tea, and can add sugar, syrup or honey to improve its taste.

Dosage: Start by drinking 1 cup (0.2 litres) of tea in the evening. If this provides insufficient relief after one or two weeks, you can – in consultation with your doctor – drink an extra cup (0.2 litres) in the morning. If the tea still provides insufficient relief, ask your doctor about inhaling medicinal cannabis using a vaporiser. Inhalation acts faster, and
its effect is stronger than cannabis tea. Furthermore, the dose is easier to adjust.

Hmm, 100C high enough to be melting cell walls of trichomes? It sounds as if preparing tea like that might make a lot of the oils float to the very top where you would drink them first by sipping.

smokefrogg

Veteran
i know it's not dissolved, never said thc is dissolved...i do say that plain old water and herb can make great and enjoyably pleasant tea that might even be good for you =)

Chimera

Veteran
Dizzle I had originally written more but was not logged in and my post did not make it through the ether... instead I just copied and pasted the tea info until I had a chance to elaborate again further.

What I mean to say was great posts, as usual, that raise some really interesting points.

Research has shown that although cannabis tea is not an extremely efficient way of transferring THC into a deliverable form, it does happen to some degree despite the dogma that THC will not dissolve in water.

More interestingly, it seems that the acidic-forms of the cannabinoids are quite readily imparted to the Tea in the brewing process- and since THCA and others have shown immuno-modulatory effects that do not act via the CB1 or CB2 receptors, it seems that cannabis tea brews may actually be a decent way to introduce acidic-cannabinoids into a patient's system. This was all tested with chromotography techniques, so it's not just some made up theory.... there is science to back up these facts. I would post the citation but some of the data has not been published, and since I was given the opportunity to see this data before publication I can't openly post the results here. When it is published I will gladly post the sources.

As dizzle pointed out, it might be possible to use a tea brew to extract the acidic-cannabinoids, and subsequently re-process the remaining flowers in an oil or alcohol solution to remove the neutral cannabinoid forms (THC, CBD, CBC etc), although there will obviously be some degree of loss of terpenes since they have a lower volatilization temperature.

elmanalito, although an interesting bit of information- I am at a loss as to the relevance of this particular thread.

Hope that helps clarify,
-Chimera

E

elmanito

Chimera,

The article you started this new thread is talking about 'cold infusion' at the end of the article.To preserve the benefits of the essential oil of Cannabis (article is talking about volatile oils) water must not be higher than 50 degrees Celsius (122 fahrenheit), otherwise the benefits of the essential oil will be decreased to zero.

The cannabinoid acids has medicinal benefits according to Raphael Mechoulan.They can act as neuroprotectors and the antioxidant value is greater than Vitamin C or E, but since the cannabinoid acids dissolve in water probably a lot more benefits than we know right now.From my own experience cannabis tea without milk or butter added has medicinal benefits like pain relieve.

A hot infusion (> 60 C) of Cannabis can convert for a % cannabinoid acids into cannabinoids, but you will loose the terpenes like you'll have it with irradiation.

The Chinese use a special cup with lid for their tea btw.

blue-tea-cup.jpg

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis: