What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

updating my 300w micro vert

MrAwder

background
Long time member. Rarely post, but I've been reading in this forum a lot lately and noticed many are being plagued by various injuries so figured I would lend my hand in. This might also belong in the micro forum but I read more here nowadays and would like to use this thread to also discuss future (vert) plans.

So I've been working out of this cab for the past 2 years. I never really achieved what I intended for it but it was meeting my needs so I basically left it on autopilot for a while. Fast forward... I'm getting ready to buy a house and have been re-invigorated looking forward to what I can do with more space. In order to expel some of this energy constructively in the meantime, I decided to spend a giftcard I had laying around and do some updating of my current micro grow.

So for stealth reasons this cab was built to fit into a corner. I'm not exactly handy but it worked out. The footprint is not ideal at all though. Originally I decided to spread the lights out evenly and grow the plants between them. Training was a PITA though and I knew yeild was suffering.

Now I decided to add 80w of CFL for an even 300w and re-arrange the lights into a central area and train around them as most vert designs are setup.

details
Growing out 2 satori non-keepers. I decided on keeping the lower yielding skyrocket pheno cause I thought it was better smoke. Next round will be those clones. Also growing out 2 clones of what is *most* likely a Blue Sat 2.2 that hermied and pollinated a Greenhouse SSH. I'm pretty excited about the structure of this one even though it is a bit on the leafy side. Both the bs2.2 and ssh were fairly good and I am curious to see what comes out. I have about a dozen more that I will crack when space permits.

Feed H&G with drip clean and just started BudXL. Fed with blumats in coco. I *think* 2 gal smart pots. Not sure.

pics
Here are a few pics that will show the old setup, my first attempt at re-doing the lights which I ended up hating, and what I finally settled on. Also some shots of the plants all currently at day 25 of flower.

Old jungle. Shitty pic but the lights were arranged one in each corner and on in the front middle of the triangle:

CFL mount (failed):

Failed mount with PL-L added:

Failed mount in all its failed glory:

Re-mounted:

Closer shot of CFL mount/layout:

So after getting everything mounted up the second time I got plants trained and defoliated. All at 25 days.

Satori #1:

Satori #2 (higher angle):

Satori #2 (lower angle):

2 of the BS2.2xSSH (Silver Sattelite??) sharing a pot:

Satori mom bonsaied and tied up:

Clones:

Took 3 clones of the BS2.2xSSH in case it turns out nice. Took them at like 18 days of flower though so not sure if they will root. The rest are satori from the mom above.

Hoping next run will be more SOGish with 2-3 per pot and trimmed into 1-3 colas.

Thanks for stopping in.

MrAwder

Yep that is 220W of PL-L plus 2x40W CFLs.

Here is a shot of my last nug of Super Lemon Haze from the previous harvest. Almost gone :cry:

No flash

Flash

Not much happening since all the re-arrangement. Probably get some more pics up next week.

MrAwder

Updates

Updates

Today is day 39 of flower. Things have really filled out and the extra 80 watts is making a huge difference. I can't believe they still have so much time left.

All 10 clones rooted in the bubbler. Transplanted to coco Monday and seem do be taking it well. Re-did the veg lighting so I'm at about 60 watts now and much more height adjustable. Hopefully can keep these from getting too lanky as has happened in the past. 7 Satori SRp and 3 of the BS 2.2 x SSH are on the right. Really glad they rooted so easily considering they were already flowering.

Mom cut back again and tied a bit more.

So the plan for next round is to either triple plant the clones with single colas or double pot after topping each. It's going to depend on how big they get before the current round is finished and how the root structure of the double planted BS2.2xSSH looks.

So looking to the future I'm thinking about clearing out some fridge stuff. I have:

2 SOL BS 2.2
3 SOL Blubonic
1 GHS White Rhino
1 GHS SSH
7 Mystery Seeds
8 BS2.2 x SSH

In the mail:

5 FMS Iced Grapefruit
4 FMS Pure AK
2 freebies (1 is an Auto)

Thinking about doing the 2 single GHS seeds and the 2 freebies and maybe 2 of something else. Ideas?

MrAwder

updates and seeking advice

updates and seeking advice

k1k1 - thanks

Now at day 53 of 12/12. The clones are already vegged up to ~8" and since this the Skyrocket pheno of Satori I am looking at easily 2.5x time stretch. So with roughly 2 weeks left here are my options:
  • top them and veg them out another 2 weeks, double pot them and cull the rest.
  • fill in 4-6 around my finishing ladies and let them start stretching. then in 2 weeks I can prune and train for single colas. in this case i will need to transplant 2 wks into flower since i dont have the space for more large pots in the cab.
  • since I have more clones than I need to keep the genetics, do some combination of the above along with flowering the mother. i think the front space could be ideal for the mom as i can easily train her.

I'm leaning towards flowering the mother and training for 3-4 large colas, lots of pruning. I'm not too worried about the pot and root size since I think the blumats can keep up with the feeding. then i can probably fit a SSHxBS2.2 on either side.

pics:

veg

height

mom

flower

and i know it is totally amateurish to take early samples but i am well and tapped out. after 4 days of no meds i couldn't resist any longer:

will try to make this last at least a week then maybe another week break before harvest. the last round just didn't hold me over and this one took to long to get started. hopefully won't run into this again as I have been more on top if it lately.

also, got my FMS order and 2 freebies. Once the next round starts I will be popping new beans and doing a seed run and taking clones. will probably do a lot of the single beans i have. looking for some keepers but i don't have the space for more than 2-3 more moms.

Last edited:

JustDoIt

my vote is combo of options A and B and flowering the mom!

Looking good man! and I had to do similar when I ran out of smoke... but I gotta say, it may have been early and it may not have been dried and cured "properly", but it was better than what I'd been spending $$$ for, and a lot more convenient!

MrAwder

JustDoIt - thanks for stopping in. I am definitely going to flower the mom up front and center. In the meantime I will toss 4 SRp into flower in cups and top 2 for longer veg. Then decide the route I want to take in 2 weeks when I can see how everything is coming along. Definitely one nice thing about having more clones than I need.

MrAwder

Updates

Updates

I'm hungry so I'll try to keep this short.

Pulled "Left Satori" last Thursday. I had already abused the crap out of it stealing buds so I finally said screw it. I also needed the room to move stuff out of veg. Total weight was ~15g after all the nugs I removed early.

Before chop:

Dried nug (need a better camera):

Today (Day 65) I chopped "Right Satori" she was showing about 25% amber.

Hanging

Close Up

Has some nice pinks that the photos don't do justice.

Aftermath:

MrAwder

Updates - contd.

Updates - contd.

Continuing (5 image limit)

Now that more room was cleared time to move in the new tenants.

First up mom before haircut:

4 clones that have been in flower ~10 days.

3 other clones I left vegging for the past 10 days

3 SSHxBS2.2 clones that probably wont make this round. They vegged oddly after taking the clones almost 3 weeks into flower.

I now have 3 satori that are 10 days into flower. They are not stretching to the degree I anticipated. I am going to attempt to triple pot them. I then have 2 that are going into flower today. These will be double potted.The mom is also the same clone of satori. Next round will be sort of dull since it is monocrop.

5 clones on the left. Mom up front and trimmed to ~4 tops. Finishing Silver Satellite on the right.

If the SSHxBS2.2 clones come along a bit before next week I will probably do 2 of those in place of the triple potted 10 day old satori option. If not no big deal, I figure running triple and double potted at slightly different heights will help me to really nail down the optimal strategy for this pheno in this setup. Too bad I will probably be sick of it by then.

Okay time for food then trimmin' and The Walking Dead.

MrAwder

The 2 SSHxBS2.2 are hanging to dry now.

"Right" Satori came out to 31g! Most I've ever yielded off a single plant.

So now in the cab we have 3 clones @ 18 days. 2 clones @ 10 days. Mother @ 10 days. All Satori Skyrocket Pheno. Went a little overboard trimming last night but I think they will bounce back fine in a few days. Only regret is still not planning properly for stretch... but if I recall how this went last time I could still see a few more days of stretch on the ones that are 18 days in.

Will have some pics and final weights once the rest is dry.

MrAwder

updates 2

updates 2

Transplanted satori clones
3@18ish days, 2@8ish days

Today (sorry about lights on) 20days/10days. 2-3 days since last defoliation.

Full:

Left (3@20days):

Mid (bonsai mom, 10 days)

Right (2@10days):

MrAwder

updates - last one

updates - last one

Dried and curing "right satori" with flash

Without

NEED a better camera...

So after a few days in jars this is developing a nice smell. It has an earthy/sour smell with some fruity hints. Not really lemony but definitely citrus. Very pleasant social high. Not overpowering but I rarely need to finish a joint. I would say compared to SSH or SLH, the sativa hybrids I have most experience with, this is much more anti-anxiety. Less creative than something like SLH but very enjoyable in social situations (for me at least). Just jotting some thoughts....

:kos:

MrAwder

updates

updates

been a while since i updated. been enjoying the fruits of my labor and things are humming along.

the 2 Silver Satellite ended up yielding a combined 45g. That brings the total yield to ~90 grams. Definitely the most I have ever pulled. I attribute it to the extra 80 watts and better training. I re-added everything when I saw that number because I could not believe it, but it still works out to just 0.3g/w :dunno:

Here is the cab today. Left pot is triple potted Satori @ 39 days. Middle is the mother @ 29 days. Right is double potted satori @ 29 days (10 days extra veg).

I almost regret flowering the mother. I don't like all the wasted lower space. However, on the clones I have wasted space higher up. The ones with 10 days extra veg are almost perfect though. I would say 5 days longer, 6 of those all double potted would be the ideal in here.

It is probably a moot point that this I nearly have this strain dialed. It looks like soon I will no longer be renting so I can return to the world of HPS lights! Keeping my fingers crossed.

A shot of satori. Smells great. Got a better camera but the lense is not good for this.

SSHxBS2.2

Now off to enjoy this (SSHxBS2.2):

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Nice job all round there mate :good:
Great to see that your enjoying the hard earned fruits from your 300w Vert setup :D
peace and puffs
:smoke out:

MrAwder

Haven't updated in a while. Started harvesting the triple potted Satori which were 10 days ahead. Chopped at day 73. I will probably let the double potted go 80 days.

That was a giant bud that grew in the middle of all the lights as opposed to around them.

This will probably be my last run in the cabinet since I bought a house. Upgrading to 2x600W very donuts.

Latest posts

Latest posts