What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY hempy bed

Rjstoner

what you will need

wood screws 1 1/2 inch
silicon (waterproof
pond liner
abs drains
pvc elbows
pvc ball vaulve
pvc pipe
staples
4x4x8 board
2x8x16 board
4x8x9/16 osb sheet
2 inch x 10 ft pvc pipe
pipe glue
big tote(reservoir)
small screen material
strap material
16d nails

tools needed

scissors
razor knife
hammer
hand saw
drill
holesaw
stapler
tape measure
chalk line(optional)
speed square (optional)

CIMG1929.jpg

CIMG1930.jpg

CIMG1931.jpg

CIMG1936.jpg

CIMG1938.jpg

CIMG1939.jpg

CIMG1957.jpg

CIMG1962.jpg

step one
cut frame sides out of 2x8
2 at 4 foot and 2 at 3 foot 8 and 1/2

step two
cut osb down to 4x4x9/16

step three
drill 4 inch holes with the hole saw bottom of hole 1 and 1 half inch up from bottom of board and one in the middle of the osb

step four
nail together 2x8 with the shorter boards inside longer boards so frame is exatly 4x4 outside width and making sure all holes are lined up top to bottom

step five
screw frame to osb

step six
caulk and wait for cure

step seven
cut your pond line down to the right size and staple corners down on top of frame (but not middle or inside the actual box) using cardboard buffers

step eight
caulk around holes and press liner to the wood then staple middles of the liner to top of frame and wait for cure

step nine
while waiting for caulk to dry make screen better by removing face plate and placing two layers of screen and screwing down the face plate on top of them to hold them securly

step ten
cut hols in liner about half inch off the wood hole and caulk back then wait for cure

step eleven
build legs and secure to table

step 12
cut a plumb pipes drains and fittings
12a drains should be caulked and held in place with something heavy
12b while drains wet fit the rest of your pipes and secure with straps and staples and wait for cure
12c fill void space in 4 inch hole with foam and let cure
12d ball vaulve goes on the center drain

thats about it any questions let me know...

ill post rest of pics below

rj

Rjstoner

micro's and additives in hempy

micro's and additives in hempy

If any of you hempy heads read this, I was wondering if i should use micro's and additives to my water with hempy style. i.e in soil i use great white, hygrozyme, flora blend and sometimes humboldt honey.

do any of you use these products or anything like it in hempy or should i just run a simple 3 part with a powder koolbloom boost and less sticky mollases like sweeterns i.e. flora nectar..
thanks in advance for any replies
RJ

If any of you hempy heads read this, I was wondering if i should use micro's and additives to my water with hempy style. i.e in soil i use great white, hygrozyme, flora blend and sometimes humboldt honey.

do any of you use these products or anything like it in hempy or should i just run a simple 3 part with a powder koolbloom boost and less sticky mollases like sweeterns i.e. flora nectar..
thanks in advance for any replies
RJ

The Hempy Bucket design is NOT compatible with organic nutrients. Hempy Buckets are 100% salt-nutes only. Hempy himself will tell you this and he's called me an idiot in the past for suggesting that organics could be used in a self-watering pot like his.

The problem is oxygen. Hempy Buckets do not get nearly enough oxygen in the root zone for organics. Any organic material you put in a Hempy Bucket will just rot. This can cause you serious problems with pythium (root rot) being at the forefront.

Because Hempy Buckets cannot use organic nutes it is a waste of time to use micros or other organic additives in one. Adding bennies like Great White only helps if they have food to eat and a nice place to live. The all-salt feeding regime that Hempy Buckets need will kill these microbes very effectively.

Rjstoner

The Hempy Bucket design is NOT compatible with organic nutrients. Hempy Buckets are 100% salt-nutes only. Hempy himself will tell you this and he's called me an idiot in the past for suggesting that organics could be used in a self-watering pot like his.

The problem is oxygen. Hempy Buckets do not get nearly enough oxygen in the root zone for organics. Any organic material you put in a Hempy Bucket will just rot. This can cause you serious problems with pythium (root rot) being at the forefront.

Because Hempy Buckets cannot use organic nutes it is a waste of time to use micros or other organic additives in one. Adding bennies like Great White only helps if they have food to eat and a nice place to live. The all-salt feeding regime that Hempy Buckets need will kill these microbes very effectively.

Thanks lady! i was more worried about the reusage of the medium lol didnt even think about the air situation what if i was to add a air stone or 4 into the mix?

Rjstoner

side note the Daptex plus sucks ASS!!!! do not use it for this ive ended up replacing with liquid nails Sub-floor adhesive

Lowman

If you want a REAL adhesive....and I mean stick anything to anything and never fall apart...get Loctite PL Premium construction adhesive. I use it to glue wood slats to a cold concrete wall.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran

I see people doing hempy buckets mostly with coco or perlite which isn't going to work with insoluble organics irrespective of issues surrounding oxygen or the lack-thereof. Has anyone tried organics in a Hempy bucket with just soil or coco-castings? I bet it would work. I'm basically running a hempy bucket without the drain with no-bottle organics in a coco-perlite-castings mixture and it works great. I don't usually water enough to let water stand in the perlite, but I have done before taking long trips without issue.

Also, I'm not sure if you folks are up on the concept of an Earth Box. Basically an Earth Box is a container within a container (think two HD buckets stacked). The bottom container acts as a reservoir and there are PVC pipes filled with growing medium that extend from the bottom of the top container into the reservoir. When the medium becomes too dry water will wick from the res into the growing container. With this sort of system you can top water or water through through a PVC pipe directly into the res, or you can do both. This system seems to offer all of the advantages of the hempy system, but is cleaner, allows for more oxygen at the bottom of the pots, and will without a doubt work with organics.

DIY Earth Box - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE8OrdUZQKk

Pine

Rjstoner

Lady L's obbt thread is very similar to what you explained Pine my problem is i already bought all the shit to do this hempy style so i will try to do a hybrid in a few months i suppose