What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ak48 DWC Closet grow #1.

420ponics

That's right, it's about time guys. This is my first grow and the second grow that I've actually got going on (I haven't actually completed my first grow as it started on the 13th this month from some clones). Anyway, I am growing this kids from seeds. Right now I have them underneath a crap ass walmart florescent light. I'll be getting a 600 watt hps soon. I'm not sure I want to spend the money on a reflector just yet. I may just suspend the 600 watter in the middle of all 6 plants.

I have 2 resevoirs for redundance. Each resevoir is 30 gallons and both will be running with nutes and adjusted ph, however the plants will only be in one. I will have the nute level of my second resevoir significantly lower than the res that the plants are currently in incase I have to move them because of nute burn. That way they will be in a more comfortable environment without me having to change the water to accomidate for a declination in the ppm measurement. I'm not quite sure I will want to change my res during the grow or not. I know some of you do and some don't. I suppose I just don't want to go through the trouble of it, but if it;s worth it, then I'm certain I'll go that route. If that is the case, the resevoirs will be emptied with a water pump.

I am using tap water with an initial ppm of 66. I am using GH 3 part grow, micro, bloom nutes. The ph of the res is currently 5.5 after the buffer with a ppm reading of 235. I hope that isn't ecessive. I'll find out soon. RH is sitting around 40 with good res temps at 67F and atmospheric temps at 72F. I hope I placed the seeds in the cubes properly and I also water the cubes with some of the water that was already in the res. Then I poured the distilled water over them that was in the cup I used to germ the seeds with. Hopefully this wasn't a bad idea.

As far as my setup goes, I am using an aqua culture dual outlet air pump with 2 bubble wands. I have one large piece of foamular insulation foam board covering the resevoirs and I then covered that with some opaque black plastic sheeting. I can go on but damn, I'll let the pics talk. Ask questions if you have them. I plan on updating this as this grow progresses. I'm sure I'll run into some problems. The setup isn't entirely done, but you'll get the jist of it.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Ponics.

Last edited:

-Dank Hill-

Looking like it’s coming all coming together.
Make sure all the electric outlets and such are
up off the floor when you are done.
Just in case your res. gives it up. :2cents:

420ponics

-Dank Hill- said:
Looking like it’s coming all coming together.
Make sure all the electric outlets and such are
up off the floor when you are done.
Just in case your res. gives it up. :2cents:

Yeah, doing that tomorrow when I have something to put them on. Thanks man.

Ponics.

G

do 30gal rubbermaid tubs always bow out so badly??
those things would make me nervous

good luck w your grow!

420ponics

These are Sterilite containers and yes they do bow out as far as I know. I didn't know that when I bought them.

Ponics.

-Dank Hill-

burnt.my.thumb said:
do 30gal rubbermaid tubs always bow out so badly?? those things would make me nervous
good luck w your grow!
^^^I'm with burnt.my.thumb on that one.​
That would worry me all day long waiting for the flood to happen.
I know some people have had good luck with the
Sterilite containers not blowing out.
30Gal of water would make for a bad day,
and on carpet = nightmare no matter if you rent or own.

If it were me and my shitty luck, I would double up the containers
and buy a roll or two of duct tape, and line the floors with plastic.
Line the floor with a couple of layers plastic up the walls at least 6”
in a continuous run or @ least duct taped together very well.

And to strengthen the res. duct tape it up.
By first runing pieces of tape widthwise across the bottom
of the empty container about 10” up the each side.
Then start @ a lower side of the container going to the top,
run the tape around the doubled up containers in a continuous loop
until you reach the top of the container.
That will probably cost around $30.00, but the piece of mind would
be priceless. But YMMV
Good luck. :D

420ponics

Hrmmm, I will keep and eye on them, possibly change res's halfway through. I'm going to take the risk this time. I won't use such a container in the future though. I had no idea they were so untrustworthy for some. Could someone tell me this though...Am I supposed to sit the seed on top of the rockwool or sit it down in it? Th root isn't out of the bottom either but I figure gravity will tell it where to go. Here is a pic of how I have it in there, I also have them up top in this same thread. Please let me know if I have placed these into the rockwool correctly. Thanks.

Ponics.

G

the way you have your seed in the pic looks like your at the right distance in the rockwool. good luck with the AK..I hear good things

420ponics

Steady Smokin said:
the way you have your seed in the pic looks like your at the right distance in the rockwool. good luck with the AK..I hear good things

Thanks bud, I'll let them chill at that level and wait for them to pop up : )

Ponics.

420ponics

Seed poppage uppage! Here they come CHOO CHOO!!! So far 4 of the 6 have completely broken the surface. Non of them were up when I went to bed last night. They are really standing strong and look very happy, They bounced up so quickly! I also light proofed the res last night and got all of the electric items off of the floor incase of a leak. : ) I do have this strange white residue in my res though, you can see it in pic 3 =/

Ponics.

Last edited:
G

hmmm...Ive never seen a white residue like that? Is it foamy? You said your ppm of your tap is 66 that is'nt it. I've never seen that before but some one will know on here.

Your sprouts look good though. I wouldnt give them any nutes for a while they dont need them right now and your putting a chance on overnuting and killing them.. Like a week after they look now go to 1/4 strength w/ all 3 parts.

Double up those tubs for sure so they wont bow. Is it completley light proofed?

Just think those tiny sprouting babies will be thriving bud chizzled mosters lol. All it takes is time, motivation, patience and LOOT. Later

420ponics

Thanks steady. I just added a black sheed over the door so it can be opened but basically light proof. Here are a few more pics that I just took as well with my electrical stuff above ground.

Ponics.

outame2

looks like things are coming together nicely.Kids don't need much of anything for a while...ppm of 100 or so will be fine.

G

Looks good bro.. but I agree with everyone else.. those tubs bowing out give me the chillls..

420ponics

Steady Smokin said:
how far are your lights?

One is probably 4 feet away, the other about a foot and 6 inches. I am just "giving them light" for now. Not trying to really do anything until I get my hps. Then I will just veg them with that on 18/6 and switch to flower when the time comes : )

Ponics.

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
Dont fill it up so much and allow your planters to sit more inside the tub.Thats freaky looking, I dont know if i would trust Duc tape to hold it together.Just my opinion.