Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Side by Side Grow Experiments > Organic Vs. Chemical Nutes/Additives Side By Side (Roots Organics vs GH FloraDuo)

Thread Title Search    
Click to download IC Magazine Issue #5
 Organic Vs. Chemical Nutes/Additives Side By Side (Roots Organics vs GH FloraDuo) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #16
Hash Zeppelin
Ski Bum Rodeo Clown

Hash Zeppelin is a survivorHash Zeppelin is a survivorHash Zeppelin is a survivorHash Zeppelin is a survivorHash Zeppelin is a survivorHash Zeppelin is a survivorHash Zeppelin is a survivorHash Zeppelin is a survivorHash Zeppelin is a survivorHash Zeppelin is a survivorHash Zeppelin is a survivor
Organic won't mean shit if you don't properly flush, dry, and cure.
"I know no safe depositary of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power." -Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
"Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people." -Carl Sagan
Quote:
"When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Hash Zeppelin jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:26 AM   #17
C21H30O2
I have ridden the mighty sandworm.

C21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to all
No offense, but if you come over to the organic forum you'll see that "organic" from a bottle is not the same thing as true living organic soil. To give organics a fare shake you should be using compost, rock dust, and mulches. You should be building your micro-herd so that they can feed your plant, not measuring out liquid from a bottle, measuring pH, or determining the ppm. These things mean nothing in living soil. Respect.

11 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
sunnydog
Drip King

sunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant future
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by C21H30O2 View Post
No offense, but if you come over to the organic forum you'll see that "organic" from a bottle is not the same thing as true living organic soil. To give organics a fare shake you should be using compost, rock dust, and mulches. You should be building your micro-herd so that they can feed your plant, not measuring out liquid from a bottle, measuring pH, or determining the ppm. These things mean nothing in living soil. Respect.
Word.

Blumats! Automatic watering!

Vertical Blumat grow

Blumat adjustment procedure: (for soil)In a bucket ,fill and soak units under water for at LEAST an hour. Then screw on cap( nice and tight!) under water making sure not to trap any air.
Leave dripper line at ~8cm. long.
Give the pot a good watering.
Insert B/M snugly into nicely compacted soil(not too loose) .
Open till water comes out, carefully close until just a drop barely forms.
Tighten 1.75 - 2 Arrows
Adjust as necessary for a few days, then leave it alone!

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~ Unknown ~
sunnydog jest offline   Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
DGSIX

Quote:
I respect your opinion and love TLO. But, this is roots organics line vs general hydro flora duo. Otherwise it would have been titled TLO vs. Chem side by side.

My intentions by this are to debunk whether or not it's even worth it to run these 7 bottle organic nute systems such as Roots or General Organics in soil and coco It's far more exspensive than TLO and maybe far less effective.

Also, I do ammend my growing medium with benneficial bacteria w/ great white as well as water it in every few weeks, feed it humics, use enzymes that clean the soil and create better nutrient uptake, and use a catalyst to feed bio life. So is it still not organic?

I really appreciate the constructive criticism and would like to learn more about TLO from you and the other members here at IC. I am simply using what I have left from my last 2 grows then i will be getting soil and the amendments to make a TLO run as well.

Thanks,
-DG-

Old 12-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
VerdantGreen
Mentor

VerdantGreen is a survivorVerdantGreen is a survivorVerdantGreen is a survivorVerdantGreen is a survivorVerdantGreen is a survivorVerdantGreen is a survivorVerdantGreen is a survivorVerdantGreen is a survivorVerdantGreen is a survivorVerdantGreen is a survivorVerdantGreen is a survivor
there will always be people who want the side by side to be different - but this is what it is.
there are many different ways to do organic just like everything else, you cant test them all in a simple side by side.
i would urge anyone wanting a particular type of test to go ahead and arrange a side by side of their own rather than criticizing someone else's comparison or derailing the thread with talk of methods that arent being tested here.

VG

Quote:
To the large and singular furniture of this noble island i have added from foreign places all the variety of herbs and flowers that i might any way obtain.
i've laboured with the soil to make it fit for plants, and with the plants that they might delight in the soil - so they might live and prosper under our climate as in their native and proper country.
Gerard's Herbal (1636)

VerdantGreen's organic modular ScrOG cabinet - 236W LED

VerdantGreen's low wattage veg/flower cab, Organic soil, 44W LED. (Bubba S1 project)

VerdantGreen's 104 watt micro grow with custom HG LED (ScrOG)

VerdantGreen's bin growing! 28W LED Organic.

and currently resting :
VerdantGreen's Quarters - 187w LED organic modular scrog grow diary

VerdantGreen's quarters - 250HPS organic modular scrog grow diary

VerdantGreen's 63Watt LED Micro cab.

VerdantGreen's quarters - 205w LED Organic Mod. ScrOG
VerdantGreen jest offline   Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
green thumbs

green thumbs has a spectacular aura aboutgreen thumbs has a spectacular aura about
Ill be watching this one. My chair is pulled out.... We shall see how it goes..
green thumbs jest offline   Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #22
DGSIX

Thanks guys, I'm really excited to see the outcome as well. Plus, like I mentioned before, this will only help me become a better gardner in the end. Which is all I strive for, and to give back to the community here. I'd been on here for a few years but switched up my username this summer.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #23
C21H30O2
I have ridden the mighty sandworm.

C21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGSIX View Post
I respect your opinion and love TLO. But, this is roots organics line vs general hydro flora duo. Otherwise it would have been titled TLO vs. Chem side by side.

My intentions by this are to debunk whether or not it's even worth it to run these 7 bottle organic nute systems such as Roots or General Organics in soil and coco It's far more exspensive than TLO and maybe far less effective.

Also, I do ammend my growing medium with benneficial bacteria w/ great white as well as water it in every few weeks, feed it humics, use enzymes that clean the soil and create better nutrient uptake, and use a catalyst to feed bio life. So is it still not organic?

I really appreciate the constructive criticism and would like to learn more about TLO from you and the other members here at IC. I am simply using what I have left from my last 2 grows then i will be getting soil and the amendments to make a TLO run as well.

Thanks,
-DG-
That's fair enough, I meant no disrespect. But if its a battle vs bottled organic nutrients and bottled chem nutrients, properly applied chem nutrient will win out. On the other hand if it were TLO vs chem nutrients TLO can match or beat the best chem grow. Controversial I know but its the truth according to c21 lol. A couple thoughts about your biological amendments, you don't need them... Oh wait that was one thought. In TLO all the things you mentioned should be provided by compost or vermicompost. Build your soil, don't deplete your wallet. Tangent over.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #24
DGSIX

No disrespect taken at all, like I said previously, I really appreciate constructive criticism, and have been asking for comments/tips. Can't wait to try a TLO run later this year.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
DGSIX

Exclamation Organic Vs. Chem wk3 (Flowering wk1)

Hey everyone! Update #3

Day 1/WK1 of Flowering
Resin Seeds Bubblicious (Front)
Royal Queen Seeds Blue Mystic (Back)
Organic (left) Chem (right)

Organic

Here's what I'm using for organics and flowering according to the Roots Schedule and additives I wanted to use.

790PPM
10ml Roots Buddha Grow
15ml Roots Buddha Bloom
10ml Roots Trinity
15ml Roots Extreme Serene
20ml Roots HP2
10ml Roots HPK
2.5ml General Organics CaMg+
2.5ml Advanced Floriculture Bloom Roots
2.5ml Hygrozyme

CHEM

Still using the same line up.
Tansition week on the Flora Duo Simple Schedule.

650ppm ph 5.5
5ml General Hydro FloraDuo A
5ml General Hydro FloraDuo B
10ml General Hydro FloraBlend
2.5ml Advanced Floriculture Bloom Roots
1ml General Hydro Floralicious Plus
2.5ml General Organics CaMg+
2.5ml Hygrozyme

Pretty happy with my results from both lines so far. This has been a fun journal/side by side. Thanks for the comments and reps. Keep em coming!

DG

Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #26
green thumbs

green thumbs has a spectacular aura aboutgreen thumbs has a spectacular aura about
Were you able to tell the difference in the growing phase of the side by side? If so what did you notice?
green thumbs jest offline   Quote

Old 01-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #27
LilMan72003
Always up for another bowl!

LilMan72003 is just really niceLilMan72003 is just really niceLilMan72003 is just really niceLilMan72003 is just really nice
Props to you DGSIX! Your plants look healthy so far, regardless of the nutrient regimen. Looking forward to watching the progression, but even moreso, hearing your opinion on difference in smoke.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #28
sunnydog
Drip King

sunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant futuresunnydog has a brilliant future
Wink

Quote:
But if its a battle vs bottled organic nutrients and bottled chem nutrients, properly applied chem nutrient will win out. On the other hand if it were TLO vs chem nutrients TLO can match or beat the best chem grow. Controversial I know but its the truth according to c21 lol. A couple thoughts about your biological amendments, you don't need them... Oh wait that was one thought. In TLO all the things you mentioned should be provided by compost or vermicompost. Build your soil, don't deplete your wallet.
100% agreed.

Off topic,kinda, sorry.
I just had to agree!

Blumats! Automatic watering!

Vertical Blumat grow

Blumat adjustment procedure: (for soil)In a bucket ,fill and soak units under water for at LEAST an hour. Then screw on cap( nice and tight!) under water making sure not to trap any air.
Leave dripper line at ~8cm. long.
Give the pot a good watering.
Insert B/M snugly into nicely compacted soil(not too loose) .
Open till water comes out, carefully close until just a drop barely forms.
Tighten 1.75 - 2 Arrows
Adjust as necessary for a few days, then leave it alone!

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~ Unknown ~
sunnydog jest offline   Quote

Old 01-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #29
DGSIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by green thumbs View Post
Were you able to tell the difference in the growing phase of the side by side? If so what did you notice?
I feel like the Organic side grew faster and was a little heartier at first, but this last few days the FloraDuo has been kicking ass. Hearty, happy plants all around with nice node spacing.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #30
growinthehills

growinthehills is on a distinguished road
This is looking really nice. I'm very interested in the results. Thank you for sharing with us!
growinthehills jest offline   Quote