Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > Growroom Lighting > Best 600w HPS Bulb?

Thread Title Search
Click for Next Light Systems - Buy LED lights
Best 600w HPS Bulb? Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 11:20 PM #1
dizzlekush

dizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the rough
Best 600w HPS Bulb?

Ive been looking to find the best 600w bulbs the market has to offer. To be considered "the best", it has to have at least >150 lumens per watt (or >90,000 initial lumens) and a horticulture/plant specific bulb. Here are the best options my search came up with:

Ushio HiLux Gro (97,000 initial lumens)
(recommended by Ushio to be run on a S106 ballast, compatible with e-ballasts)
SPD: http://www.plantlightinghydroponics....2.html?image=1

DigiLux (95,000 initial lumens)
(digital ballasts only)
SPD: http://www.plantlightinghydroponics....6.html?image=1

AgroMax (95,000 initial lumens)
(cant find any specifics)

Lumatek (92,000 initial lumens)
(designed for digital ballasts, usable on magnetic)
SPD: http://www.rollitup.org/attachments/...1-000w-hps.jpg [could only find spd of 1000w bulb)

(SolarMax not included due to being S106 ballast specific and having incompatibilities with most e-ballasts.)

Please share your experiences with any of these bulbs as well as inform us of other options that fit the >90,000/plant specific parameters for the best 600w hps bulbs options.
"Believing that your hypothesis must be correct before all the evidence is gathered encourages you to interpret the evidence selectively. This is human nature. It is also precisely what the scientific method tries to avoid. It does so by requiring that scientists not just test their hypotheses, but try to prove them false." - Gary Taubes
"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe." - Carl Sagan
"The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know." - Attributed to Socrates
dizzlekush is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 PM #2
Phaeton

Phaeton is just really nicePhaeton is just really nicePhaeton is just really nicePhaeton is just really nicePhaeton is just really nicePhaeton is just really nicePhaeton is just really nicePhaeton is just really nicePhaeton is just really nicePhaeton is just really nice
Wink

I have done back to back grows using AgroMax, $90, Solarmax, $70, and generic, $25.

The bagseed sativa grew the same.
The Northern Lights grew the same.

No more expensive HPS in my grow room. Maybe the high cost lights burn longer, but they don't seem to produce any extra growth.

Context: the HPS lights (3) are supplements in a multi light (12) growroom. I do not use them stand alone.
Phaeton is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 PM #3
dizzlekush

dizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the rough
I tested several 600w bulbs just by growth of plants. the companies i tested were "Plantmax" "Lumatek" and "Advanced Nutrients Red Diamond".

The advanced nutrients bulb does have the fastest ignition and reached full output in about 1/2 the time as the Lumateks and the Plantmax. However the best growth was under the Lumatek lights, where bud density was significantly more noticeable. the Red Daimond and Plantmax bulbs seemed to have the same outcome in plnat growth, while the Red Diamond light had more orange hues that the Plantmax. 3 of 6 Plantmax bulbs failed within 6 months, while no Red Diamond or Lumatek bulbs failed. 600w Quantum Digital ballasts were used for all bulbs, along with identical reflectors (adjust-a-wing medium avengers)
"Believing that your hypothesis must be correct before all the evidence is gathered encourages you to interpret the evidence selectively. This is human nature. It is also precisely what the scientific method tries to avoid. It does so by requiring that scientists not just test their hypotheses, but try to prove them false." - Gary Taubes
"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe." - Carl Sagan
"The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know." - Attributed to Socrates

Old 12-19-2011, 04:27 PM #4
Doc420

Doc420 will become famous soon enoughDoc420 will become famous soon enough
The best 600w is the Philips Greenpower EL
Lumens are not intresting for plant growth.
Look at the Par/Micromol rating.
Doc420 is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 PM #5
dizzlekush

there is a graph of the photometric spectrum of the Philips Master Greenpower EL. there is nothing special/significant/optimal about the spectrum of light output from this bulb. sorry doc, gonna have to disagree with you on that one. although it might be better that the Ushio in spectrum, it doesn't have a better SPD than the Digilux, almost the same SPD as the Lumatek but has less output than the Lumatek. barely any output over 600nm (besides IR obviously) and no enhanced blues, not a particularly great bulb IMO. although i do really like Philips for the price and level of quality they provide, not to mention the options, so many hps bulbs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 928161809227_EU-LS2-global-001_highres.jpg (28.1 KB, 64 views)

Old 12-19-2011, 07:26 PM #6
420somewhere

420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of
Cool I use a Solarmax 600w hps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzlekush View Post
<SNIP>
(SolarMax not included due to ballast specifications.)
<SNIP>
I use a Solarmax 600w hps - what is the issue with the ballast?
420somewhere is online now Quote

Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 PM #7

Bare and freshly dangled...

Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 PM #8
dizzlekush

the solarmax 600w bulb requires a S106 ballast for optimal output and for the "hot-start". ive never tried to use a solarmax, but apparently the soft start that e-ballasts use wont fire a Solarmax bulb, nor will it run the bulb at full efficiency.

Solarmax 600w bulb requires an 600w S106 ballast
Solarmax 1000w bulb requires a 1000w S52 ballast

Old 12-19-2011, 07:54 PM #9
420somewhere

420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of420somewhere has much to be proud of
Smile Thanks

Quote:
the solarmax 600w bulb requires a S106 ballast for optimal output and for the "hot-start". ive never tried to use a solarmax, but apparently the soft start that e-ballasts use wont fire a Solarmax bulb, nor will it run the bulb at full efficiency.

Solarmax 600w bulb requires an 600w S106 ballast
Solarmax 1000w bulb requires a 1000w S52 ballast
I am running a Gateway Electrical Ballast - starts and works just fine.

I have been running it for about 6 months.
420somewhere is online now Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 12:21 AM #10
whazzup

whazzup is a jewel in the roughwhazzup is a jewel in the roughwhazzup is a jewel in the roughwhazzup is a jewel in the roughwhazzup is a jewel in the roughwhazzup is a jewel in the roughwhazzup is a jewel in the roughwhazzup is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
there is a graph of the photometric spectrum of the Philips Master Greenpower EL. there is nothing special/significant/optimal about the spectrum of light output from this bulb. sorry doc, gonna have to disagree with you on that one.
I don't think doc meant spectrum but PPF (in umol) instead of luminous flux (in lumens). If the 1000W lamps are any indication of their 600W counterparts then this topic should give you an indication.

HPS spectra are generally very dull, there are only small differences, though even small ones they can be important (as in percentage blue light for example). Output however is very different. High lumens doesn't necessarily mean high photon output.