What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Delic does ISO with attempted alcohol recovery

delic

Hi Folks, I've been around for a while now sucking up knowledge and doing alright for a beginer. Mainly thanks to this forum and your good selves. Can't thank you enough.

So as my first thread I thougt I'd share a little experiment with you.

I've made oil a couple of times with iso and acatone. I had the idea of recovering the aclohol and put together a little condenser to try and get back some alcohol. The pictures below show the set up. Eletric hot plate, pyrex dish, funnel and pipe to polystyring cool box with copper coil in ice water, out to a chilled collector bottle.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

delic

Once the alcohol started bubbling I held the funnel down over the dish (the dish and funnel are a good fit, or so i thought ). The idea in my head was that the vapour would go up into the pipe, through the chilled condenser coil and drip into the collector bottle.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

delic

What happened was the vapour leaked out around the dish/funnel. NOTHING got through the collector bottle (well maybe a drop or 2, but it may have been when I started, I don't know). I also forgot to use a water bath under the dish and over cooked the oil a few times. I also forgot to use a coffee filter for the first trim run so got a hashy oil. The last few runs where much cleaner producing a slick oil.

The first 2 runs where made from twigs and sticks (as pictured), the last 4 where frozen larf and trim collected over the year. Got 0.8 from each twigs run maybe a little more from the trim.

picture.php

The outcome of the day about 5-6 grams of oil and 5 grams of shake from some dry larf and trim. I'm quite happy with myself

picture.php

If I was try alcohol recovery again I guess I need better seals, shorter pipes, colder chiller and a pump to draw air through the pipe towards the collecter bottle. Back to the drawing broad I suppose :)

Oh, smoke report I hear you call. Haven't tried the oil yet. I smoke joints so oil is rather tricky. I'll probabley pop it in the freezer for lean times. The smokes nicely, but I'll hide that away also.

Thanks for stopping by,

delic

rrog

Veteran
I applaud the ingenuity. How were you running the cool water through the coils? Could do a recirc pump in an icewater res?

Personally, I'd only consider this with ethanol. Everclear

delic

The coils where to condense the iso. They where in iced water inside the foam box.
I may have worked if i had a better seal between the dish and funnel, maybe next time round.
-delic

delic

Thanks for the input supermanlives. A pressure cooker probably would work although you wouldn't be able to see inside. If one comes my way I'll grab it and try.

cheers

-delic