What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biological Controls #7 Hypoaspis miles

h.h.

Veteran
Hypoaspis miles feed upon small, soil inhabiting insects, mites, and all stages of springtails. Is primary a predator of fungus gnat larvae in the soil, but it also consumes thrips pupae on the floor and soil surface of the greenhouse. It is a scavenger and can feed on soil debris in the asence of thrips pupae and fungus gnat larvae. They are a native soil mite and can adapt to a variety of different growth media and capillary mats.
http://www.buglogical.com/hypoaspis-miles/
http://urbangardenmagazine.com/2010/08/know-your-predators/

These destroy fungus gnats and it is their number one use by me. They can take out the worst of of the worst infestations in two days flat. The best part about these guys is you can keep propagating them by using a spare bin of soil. Just add the nematodes to the soil every 2 months or so, they will dine off of these. The nematodes reproduce very quickly and will keep them fed and alive. Don't bother tilling the soil just scrape off the top layers and add to your new transplants (on the top layer of soil after transplanting) and you have a serious mobile terrorist hunter. I have fungus gnats 24/7 all during the summer as well as major invasions of european red mites so I always stay stocked with these and a higher dwelling predator mite for the thrips and mites that live up top. You will never worry about bugs again EVER.

I usually buy a tube of 30,000~ and it costs about 60-70$ in shipping because they must be over-nighted so they don't die in transport but the fact you can propagate all of the organic predators on your own makes it infinitely valuable.

Granger2

Veteran
Moses,
Yeah I'm wondering the same thing, but i believe they feed mainly on larvae, some pupae. They'd probably control RA larvae, but RA's reproduce primarily by live birth of already pregnant adult females. I don't think the mites attack adults. I'm speculating here. More info needed. -granger

FatherEarth

Veteran
I would gamble and say yes. If youve ever had lots of these in your soil you might think the same. Anything that falls on the surface of the soil is instantly covered in these mites, if its nothing edible they all disappear as fast as they came. Nothing gets by these things. Id say they would def at least attempt to eat the aphids. One stage of their life has to be edible and thats all it takes to stop the cycle of reproduction. I wasnt aware you could buy them. I will certainly keep some around 365.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I would gamble and say yes. If youve ever had lots of these in your soil you might think the same. Anything that falls on the surface of the soil is instantly covered in these mites, if its nothing edible they all disappear as fast as they came. Nothing gets by these things. Id say they would def at least attempt to eat the aphids. One stage of their life has to be edible and thats all it takes to stop the cycle of reproduction. I wasnt aware you could buy them. I will certainly keep some around 365.

Yep you can certainly buy them, although I never did. Quite a few peeps report finding them in their soil, especially in North America. I have seen low numbers in my soil, although I am not 100% on the ID.

Latest posts

Latest posts