Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Indoor Grows - Soil > Adding top layer of sand - some concerns...

Thread Title Search    
Click for Weed Seed Shop
 Adding top layer of sand - some concerns... Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Capt Cannabis

Capt Cannabis will become famous soon enoughCapt Cannabis will become famous soon enough
Adding top layer of sand - some concerns...

Hey guys,

I have been battling pests for the first time during this grow, I believe they are fungus gnats. I have been using neem oil with no improvement. When the plants were younger I put a 1/2" layer of sand on the top of the soil on each plant and the bugs were gone within 48 hours. I was experiencing some issues with yellowing at the time, and I wanted to see what your experiences were when adding sand to your soil. The sand is not from the beach, from a local hardware store.

A few questions regaurding the use of sand:

1) What does sand do to the PH of my soil? Since the sand is on the top, the water and nutrients I give them go through the sand first. How does the top layer of sand affect the PH?

2) Should I do anything to the sand before using? It's coming from a huge pile outside the hardware store.

Any other issues or concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks very much,

The Captain
Capt Cannabis jest offline   Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Cappy

Cappy is just really niceCappy is just really niceCappy is just really niceCappy is just really niceCappy is just really nice
diotomacious earth will do a great job at killing soil born pests that need air to reproduce. Sorry, don't know about sand....

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
budbasket

budbasket is a splendid one to beholdbudbasket is a splendid one to beholdbudbasket is a splendid one to beholdbudbasket is a splendid one to beholdbudbasket is a splendid one to beholdbudbasket is a splendid one to beholdbudbasket is a splendid one to behold
Id be careful about adding in sand, if you don't get the ratios right you'll end up with a poor mans cement, not very good for root growth. Diatomaceous earth which has been mentioned previously, I think would do the job, it works by speeding up the insects evaporation levels and basically dries em out. I read also that it will kill larvae by cutting them as they pass almost like rubbing against shards of glass.

Pyrethum bombs and or gnatrol(Bacillus Thuringiensis bacteria) works as well, maybe could consider a rotation of different applications. You could also look into IPM(integrated pest management) beneficial nematodes as well as predatory mites are available however I have no idea if it they were meant for treatments in cannabis. Could end up trading one pest for another. Good luck!-basket
budbasket jest offline   Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
PoopyTeaBags
State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trailer Park Supervisor

PoopyTeaBags is a survivorPoopyTeaBags is a survivorPoopyTeaBags is a survivorPoopyTeaBags is a survivorPoopyTeaBags is a survivorPoopyTeaBags is a survivorPoopyTeaBags is a survivorPoopyTeaBags is a survivorPoopyTeaBags is a survivorPoopyTeaBags is a survivorPoopyTeaBags is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
diotomacious earth will do a great job at killing soil born pests that need air to reproduce. Sorry, don't know about sand....

^^ This....

Poopy teabags Soma and Grindhouse
*Completed*

Prophets actually get flowered out *Completed*
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=180811

LVPK and Reclining Buddha RDWC
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=199088

BAAAAM! Peanut Butter & JAAAAM!
PoopyTeaBags jest offline   Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
SeaMaiden

Sand works just fine, but what you want to do is determine whether or not it's calcareous, which will definitely change pH. Just take a small container of vinegar with you and pour some on the sand in question. If it bubbles, it's calcareous and will change pH. If not, you should be golden.

Use the sand.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
supermanlives
Banned

supermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivor
i used sand once that was for kids sandboxes with no issues
supermanlives jest offline   Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
yortbogey
Only know you've been HIGH, when your feeling LOW...

yortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivor
yortbogey has completed 2 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
stick w/ the DE.... got silica too booot.......best bet
yortbogey jest offline   Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
supermanlives
Banned

supermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivorsupermanlives is a survivor
de does nothing when wet. i suggest both.
supermanlives jest offline   Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Treetops

Treetops is a splendid one to beholdTreetops is a splendid one to beholdTreetops is a splendid one to beholdTreetops is a splendid one to beholdTreetops is a splendid one to beholdTreetops is a splendid one to beholdTreetops is a splendid one to beholdTreetops is a splendid one to behold
Me too....So far no problems....makes the plant/pot heavy though, so get used to the new weight...
Treetops jest offline   Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
SeaMaiden

Play sand, which is typically Si-based anyway, can also provide some Si. So do rice hulls. I find DE gets washed down through the soil pretty quickly.

How about adding some yellow sticky traps to your decorating scheme?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
SeaMaiden

I guess I can't delete this post. This has happened to me three times now, I hit 'submit' and then I get a message saying that this forum requires I wait between posts. I don't get clicky with it, I think it's some glitch, either in the browser, or....?

Anyway, double-post. Sorry!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Capt Cannabis

Capt Cannabis will become famous soon enoughCapt Cannabis will become famous soon enough
Wow guys posted about 3 hours ago and I come back and check on the thread, and there are 10 replies! Thats awesome, thanks.

It seems like DE has given a lot of good results. Where do I get something like that? Hardware store? Hydro shop only? What else is it used for, or only plants?

I know the sand will get rid of the bugs in no time. Just worried about adverse affects from the sand. Seems like others have had pretty good results using sand too.

Thanks again for all of the quick replies, I am really impressed. This community is priceless, all the members look out for each other and thats what its all about.

Will keep checking in,

The Captain
Capt Cannabis jest offline   Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
cyat

cyat has much to be proud ofcyat has much to be proud ofcyat has much to be proud ofcyat has much to be proud ofcyat has much to be proud ofcyat has much to be proud ofcyat has much to be proud ofcyat has much to be proud ofcyat has much to be proud ofcyat has much to be proud of
none of that will work from my experience.
done the sand, d.e. powder, and 2 sizes of d.e stones, perlite, cedar,cinnamon, crabshell, topdressings. and bt didnt work for me either.
wanna find a natural remedy, still looking tho.
alternating with gonats, neem, and sm 90 now and its not really working

other stuff to try dryer sheets, potato slices, and pyretherin drench?

good luck
cyat jest offline   Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
Scrogerman

Scrogerman has a brilliant futureScrogerman has a brilliant futureScrogerman has a brilliant futureScrogerman has a brilliant futureScrogerman has a brilliant futureScrogerman has a brilliant futureScrogerman has a brilliant futureScrogerman has a brilliant futureScrogerman has a brilliant futureScrogerman has a brilliant futureScrogerman has a brilliant future
D'E & BTI + sticky traps if ya got flyers, gotta be a combo!

been interested in green pesticides for a while. this & similar may be of some interest to you:http://www.nri.org/projects/adappt/docs/63-84.pdf

well worth a read that!

Last edited by Scrogerman; 10-11-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Scrogerman jest offline   Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
chief bigsmoke

chief bigsmoke is a splendid one to beholdchief bigsmoke is a splendid one to beholdchief bigsmoke is a splendid one to beholdchief bigsmoke is a splendid one to beholdchief bigsmoke is a splendid one to beholdchief bigsmoke is a splendid one to beholdchief bigsmoke is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Cannabis View Post
Hey guys,

I have been battling pests for the first time during this grow, I believe they are fungus gnats. I have been using neem oil with no improvement. When the plants were younger I put a 1/2" layer of sand on the top of the soil on each plant and the bugs were gone within 48 hours. I was experiencing some issues with yellowing at the time, and I wanted to see what your experiences were when adding sand to your soil. The sand is not from the beach, from a local hardware store.

A few questions regaurding the use of sand:

1) What does sand do to the PH of my soil? Since the sand is on the top, the water and nutrients I give them go through the sand first. How does the top layer of sand affect the PH?

2) Should I do anything to the sand before using? It's coming from a huge pile outside the hardware store.

Any other issues or concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks very much,

The Captain

My hort professor had some easy steps to help prevent fungus gnats and other soil-born critters.
1. Pour 2 inches of course sand - course so it cuts the soft bodies of the critters.
2. Finely crush some egg and oyster shells and top dress the soil with them - they act as a sharp defense barrier and also they contain up to 98% calcium carbonate so they are a great slow release source of calcium.
3. Then alwayys ALWAYS let your soil dry out in between waterings. gnats love the top couple inches of soil so you will cook their home. I always make sure that 3 inches of my soil is completely dry in between waterings.

I had a bad bag of SEA SOIL that had a ton of bugs. I used the sand technique to first combat the issue then I removed most of the sand and continued with the shells and the drying out of the soil in between waterings and I haven't had a large infection since.

I don't believe it would change the ph. But if left it has the chance to change your soil structure.

One of the best ways to battle them is to add lots of beneficial bacteria and fungi. There are also lots of beneficial predators like mini wasps the lay their eggs in the larvea etc.
chief bigsmoke jest offline   Quote