Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Soil mix

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Quest Hydro for Dehumidifiers
Soil mix Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 03:14 AM #1
Manijahtor

Manijahtor will become famous soon enough
Post Soil mix

hello amigos! my english is no good but i wanted to hear opinions & critics about my mix.
im from argentina (south america) & been growing for 4 year, here we have great quality soil, the thing is that i noticed a few differences in the mix between countries, lets hear your opinions

30% worm castings
20% river undertow
20% compost
20% mix of peats (sphagnum & blonde)
10% vermiculite

+plus some oriental sand

then i add the fosforrus: 1spoonfull of fish flour and another spoonful of bat-guano in 8-9 litres of soil mix (for flowering i add another spoonfull of bone meal which it composts during flowering and starts giving "real" food after 1 month when guano is over)

i use the same mix in flowering but i add the potassium: 1spoonfull of wood ashess every 5 litres of soil mix

Manijahtor is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:20 AM #2
grapeman

grapeman is just really nicegrapeman is just really nicegrapeman is just really nicegrapeman is just really nicegrapeman is just really nicegrapeman is just really nicegrapeman is just really nicegrapeman is just really nicegrapeman is just really nicegrapeman is just really nicegrapeman is just really nice
I think you would do well to add some "dolomite lime" to your mix since you are using peat in your mix.

I think you should visit this site
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53792
and follow one of the recipes on the first page. LC#1 or LC#2 for soil mixes. then below that you can read about different ways to fertilize your plants.

Definition of a "racist" or a "denier".
A clear thinking conservative that is winning an argument with a liberal

Last edited by grapeman; 10-11-2011 at 12:41 AM..
grapeman is offline Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 AM #3
Manijahtor

Manijahtor will become famous soon enough
thanks for the advice bro! but i really dont think its necesary to use dolomite, the worm casting neutralizes the peat, plus the ashes are very alcaline.
Manijahtor is offline Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 01:22 PM #4
h.h.

h.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really nice
If it's working good for you...Cool.
I'm guessing about what the "undertow" is. River bottom?
Sounds like a lot of possible essentials along with a lot of fine material.
With only 10% vermiculite, I wonder about aeration and perched water.
Rather than change a mix that is working, adding a wick might be an idea. I would consider upping that 10% to 20 or 25% using rice hulls, pumice, diatomaceous earth, and char.
The wood ashes...I use eucalyptus, which has a high p content. They say on here to use corn cob or I think grapefruit or cucumber skins turned to ash. I soak mine and use the water. It still leaves some salts if not boiled down though. Not sure it makes any difference other than keeping the soil cleaner on the hands.
Again consider the dolomite. Cheap and doesn't contribute heavily to the alkalinity of your soil as I understand it. Being more of a buffer, it's more of an insurance policy.
Interesting to hear what you're using.
I hope the law's being good to you guys down there. I imagine the weather is. Good outside growing?
Look forward to the day when we can trade legally.
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM #5
BurnOne
No damn given.

BurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manijahtor View Post
thanks for the advice bro! but i really dont think its necesary to use dolomite, the worm casting neutralizes the peat, plus the ashes are very alcaline.
FAIL!
Dolomite also provides much needed calcium and magnesium.
If you know your recipe works, why come here and ask?

Burn1
It's 4:20 somewhere. Time to Burn1.

Bullshit! There's no need to flush organics. -Bongaloid

pH meter? We don't need no stinking pH meter!

BurnOne is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:54 PM #6
h.h.

h.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really nice
The cal/mag might well be coming from the undertow. While we might form opinions of possible problems, he hasn't expressed any.
Even the earthworm castings should vary depending on local soil conditions and the eating habits producing the scrap. Compost for that matter. We don't know the mineral content of the water. The reason it's not sold at my local Lowe's is that people here don't use it unless they're growing pot in peat. With our local water and our local soil it becomes redundant.
Grapeman may have an opinion on alkaline water with high mineral content along with the use of dolomite. River water be nasty. LOL
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM #7
BurnOne
No damn given.

BurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud ofBurnOne has much to be proud of
Our plants need lots of magnesium. Some strains more than others.
Quote:
lets hear your opinions
Burn1
It's 4:20 somewhere. Time to Burn1.

Bullshit! There's no need to flush organics. -Bongaloid

pH meter? We don't need no stinking pH meter!

BurnOne is offline Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 04:00 PM #8
SeaMaiden

The undertow, which I'm going to guess is comprised of the Andes, may or may not provide much in the way of Ca and Mg. I think that those particular elements, as most often found in rock, are rather easily eroded away by water, so the undertow could also be comprised primarily of silica, or volcanic or granitic or other igneous origin rocks. Dolomitic lime is comprised of compressed coral skeletons that have not been transformed except by time and pressure/weight (non-volcanic).

I should call a geologist friend to learn more.

I personally think that mix could use a larger proportion of compost, especially in relation to the peat and castings.
Quote:
That's not the only purpose of the dolomitic lime. It provides a huge amount of Ca and Mg as well as good trace elements. It's also much better for buffering than wood ashes are (and they don't provide much in the way of Ca or Mg).

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:30 PM #9
jaykush
dirty black hands

jaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of light
yea what is river undertow?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 PM #10
Hank Hemp

Location: Just South of the Mason/Dixon, away, away down South in Dixieland.
Hank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond repute
River undertow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykush View Post
yea what is river undertow?

I luv this flag more than the haters hate it!
God bless Johnny Boone wherever you are.

Not all who wander are lost

I don't care who you are that's deep

You may see me tonight with a illegal smile. J. Prine
Hank Hemp is offline Quote